Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,191

1 members and 3,190 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Prego

Thanks

First Prego

OK so should i move her to another tank? i have the room to move her just a little worried about reintroducing her back to the group!
    2.1 Normal/1.1.Mojave BP/0.1.Spider BP/1.0.Ghost BP/1.1.Albino BP /0.1.Het Albino BP/1.0 Pinstripe BP/2.0 Pastel BP/1.0 Cinny BP/1.1 Lesser BP/ 0.1 Bumblebee BP/ 0.1 Blue Eyed Lucy BP/0.1 Spinner BP/ 1.1 Pied BP
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.0.1 Gators
    1.1 black boxer dogs

http://www.youtube.com/user/bwilson36
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Middnite8

Thanks

Re: First Prego

Dont remove her. Let her stay right where she is. The other asf in the tank will help her in raising the babies. Once I have a colony, I keep the colony intact.

Thanks

the male wont eat the babbies?
    2.1 Normal/1.1.Mojave BP/0.1.Spider BP/1.0.Ghost BP/1.1.Albino BP /0.1.Het Albino BP/1.0 Pinstripe BP/2.0 Pastel BP/1.0 Cinny BP/1.1 Lesser BP/ 0.1 Bumblebee BP/ 0.1 Blue Eyed Lucy BP/0.1 Spinner BP/ 1.1 Pied BP
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.0.1 Gators
    1.1 black boxer dogs

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Headsy View Post
    the male wont eat the babbies?
    No - but he will defend them - he'll even babysit them for her while she leaves them to eat and get water.

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Definately do not remove her. It only causes negative things to happen!

Mike
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

ASF's are different than other mice and rats, I've heard they do better in colonies.

That being said I've never actually had ASF's myself and I'm curious, I know ASF's will wait to breed till they're of proper age, will they also wait to breed after giving birth? (ASF post partum estrus?)
    ~TruthsDeceit~
    My house? ... 13 snakes, 3 geckos, a tarantula, a boyfriend, a roommate (yes the roommate and boyfriend make the "animals" list), 3 cats, a roach colony and don't ask me to count the rodents.

www.rodentworks.net Local to Bremerton, WA
    >Rats >Mice >ASF >Rabbits >Custom racks/cages

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

No, they will immediately breed again after giving birth. Usually in the same day. Unlike domestic rats and mice, this is what they are supposed to do, and it has no negative impacts on the moms or the babies. You will see the moms get bigger and stronger and healthier with each back to back litter.

Mike
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I thought the Norway rats also bred again right after delivering. Or are you not saying they don't do it but that it's not good for them to? It’s been a long time since I raised them and I didn’t keep track close enough to know but I thought I read that they where receptive right after delivery which I thought was odd but apparently not unprecedented for rodents.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRemington View Post
    I thought the Norway rats also bred again right after delivering. Or are you not saying they don't do it but that it's not good for them to? It’s been a long time since I raised them and I didn’t keep track close enough to know but I thought I read that they where receptive right after delivery which I thought was odd but apparently not unprecedented for rodents.
    Most rodents (I think most rodents do) have something called 'post partum estrus' which a heat cycle directly after giving birth so they can carry back to back pregnacies.

In regular pet store mice and rats it can be hard on their bodies to be pregnant 100% of the time. They also have a tendency to breed too young and get sick because their bodies aren't fully developed, which is why we separate young mice to keep incest to a minimum.

ASF's on the other hand can be kept together because they won't breed till full maturity (so I've been told). So I wondered if they we're smart enough to avoid back to back pregnancy too. Mcavana just said that they do get back to back pregnacy but unlike regular rats it doesn't hurt them. Which is cool.

I need to get me some ASF's!
    ~TruthsDeceit~
    My house? ... 13 snakes, 3 geckos, a tarantula, a boyfriend, a roommate (yes the roommate and boyfriend make the "animals" list), 3 cats, a roach colony and don't ask me to count the rodents.

www.rodentworks.net Local to Bremerton, WA
    >Rats >Mice >ASF >Rabbits >Custom racks/cages

Thanks

i have 3 trios and when cleaning the tubs out last night I noticed another ASF is prego. so far so good, im just waiting on babies now. i am guessing this is the begining of my journey with ASF's. It does seem that the boy ASF's are waiting for the girls to mature. Which IMHO i would rather that. Thank you everyone for the advice and help.
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.0.1 Gators
    1.1 black boxer dogs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast