Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,345

3 members and 3,342 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Symptoms?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Re: Symptoms?

No sarcasm intended, but how much time do you actually spend watching him?

My hogs will shove all the bedding to one side of their box then shove it back then do it again. Repeatedly.

I don't often see them doing it but the evidence is there.

Hopefully he'll be AOK from here on out.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    No sarcasm intended, but how much time do you actually spend watching him?

My hogs will shove all the bedding to one side of their box then shove it back then do it again. Repeatedly.

I don't often see them doing it but the evidence is there.

Hopefully he'll be AOK from here on out.
    No need to worry about about the sarcasm. He only comes out for "exercise" around 2 times a day, and I have watched him a few times. Sometimes he "submerges" under the sand only to come back up in a few seconds, but I think that's all the burrowing he does usually.
    -Ryan Hardwikk (aka Member #6667)

My snakes:
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa ~Nephthys~ (aka "Linky")

In a better place:
    1.0 Pastel Western Hognose ~Charon~ 10/3/07-4/24/09

If you need/want to know anything about Hognose snakes, just ask me.

Thanks

If yours is like mine and loves to climb it may have wacked it's jaw on something, unintentionally. If no signs of bubbles, or anything caught in its mouth i think you are good, for now, but would continue to watch it VERY closely.
    Watch for any sand movement. Wilomn has a good point. Watch for the sand moving to one side, or back. My active girl likes to move everything away from the water bowl to heat up her water with the heat tape and take a nice bath. My active boy has soooo much bedding that you can't tell he's shifted any of it. When i look in i can see he emptied his hide all the way down to the glass floor and stays there for heat. A little sauna.
    Watch for any poos, especially since it just ate. If you see a poo make sure it's dark forest green or a black color, not watery. A light green is a sign of a parasite infection or resporitory infection. Same thing happens to humans, especially if you eat too many Lucky Charms I learned that in bio class at Rutgers
    Anyway, if it passes everything it ate with no regurgitation you're probably in the clear and have a little quirk. But, be carefull, any bubbles or mucus coming from the mouth or nope is BAD. Watch the tounge flicker. If it's long and slow go to the vet, it's a sign of labored breathing and fever. If it's quick and cautious you're good.
    Anyway, keep us updated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whytepizza View Post
    Watch the tounge flicker. If it's long and slow go to the vet, it's a sign of labored breathing and fever. If it's quick and cautious you're good.
    This is incorrect, which would lead one to suspect that your poo analysis, which I have never heard before, is also suspect. I was unaware that reptiles could run a fever as well.

Rutgers you say?
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    This is incorrect, which would lead one to suspect that your poo analysis, which I have never heard before, is also suspect. I was unaware that reptiles could run a fever as well.

Rutgers you say?
    Not a fever, i'm sorry for the wrong terminology there, but at times a snake cannot keep a good temperature. their bodies do not allow them to tell how to regulate their temperature. Similar to how snakes burn themselves on heat rocks because they cannot feel the heat or how a frog will allow itself to be boiled if it's put into colder water to begin with.
    Tongue flicker is a common way to tell if they have some sort of RI. It's not perfectly accurate but a good way to judge whether to look into an RI or not. Any sick hogger will flicker long. The poo check is straight forward. Green is no good. An RI will allow other organisms to enter the body. Color is the easiest way to physically see if there may be a problem. But, if you see green poo (and i'm talking really green) it's best to see a vet quickly.
    Again, the best way to see if it is an RI on your own are bubbles within the mouth or nose or really anything that isn't nice and smooth. The best way in general is a vet visit.
    If things seems pretty normal by now and the 'yawn' hasn't worsened still keep an eye out, but don't worry so much or everything you see will make you think it's sick.
    Wilomn, i do suspect some sarcasm in you last statement. Please, any questions that you have about me i request that they are directed towards me and me alone. Any issues with what i say you are more than welcome to disagree with but do not be demeaning in your words. Nothing personal. And yes, Rutgers. Cook college to be exact.

Thanks

I've never heard of diagnosing an RI by poop colour.

One learns daily if one is not careful.

Have you ever watched any of the crots? The pit vipers? Those native to the Americas in particular?

I'd be willing to wager you haven't.

Take a look at a few, and that's just one genre, and then tell me if you still want to hold with your tongue flicking theory.

It's not 100%.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

i'd think it'd be unlikely he'd have an RI... but very likely substrate got in his mouth.
    i used to keep mine on walnut shells but after two known instances of getting that crap in his mouth i switched him to newspaper or aspen, depending on what i have.

anyway, hognoses don't even need suplemental heat, so i really doubt he has an RI unless he has some sort of infection that led to it.
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Vestrand View Post
    i'd think it'd be unlikely he'd have an RI... but very likely substrate got in his mouth.
    i used to keep mine on walnut shells but after two known instances of getting that crap in his mouth i switched him to newspaper or aspen, depending on what i have.

anyway, hognoses don't even need suplemental heat, so i really doubt he has an RI unless he has some sort of infection that led to it.
    One thing to note here is that I don't feed him on the walnut; I feed him seperately on a shoebox lid, so its pretty hard for him to have ingested anything. Also, what do you mean by Hoggers not needing supplelamental heat when they thrive with temperatures higher than most colubrids?
    -Ryan Hardwikk (aka Member #6667)

My snakes:
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa ~Nephthys~ (aka "Linky")

In a better place:
    1.0 Pastel Western Hognose ~Charon~ 10/3/07-4/24/09

If you need/want to know anything about Hognose snakes, just ask me.

Thanks

myself and most others i know personally have better luck with lower temps. my herp room is 80 degrees or so, thus i do not use suplemental heating.
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

Thanks

why would hoggers need more heat than most colubrids when they spend alot of there time burrowed underground where it is cool?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast