Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,341

0 members and 3,341 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best big snake?

Thanks

Best big snake?

I'm pretty much a beginner; I have a BP. I love snakes though, and I was wondering what would be the best >big< snake for a kinda-beginner that is friendly, moderately easy to care for...... Just curious.

Registered User modestosnakeman's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Best big snake?

you should find a store or somebody with a full grown "big" snake. They seem really cool but are pretty intimidating in person. Make sure you hold and handle a big snake before you get a cute baby.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

bci or bcc (boas) get big. Not giant in the same manner of reticulated or burmese pythons, but I'd spend a few years with one of those before even thinking of going with something else that could potentially get bigger than 10 foot.

If you're seriously considering a giant someday, your best bet is burmese or reticulated python.

Thanks

also, all giants have the potential to be mean, and even the nicest ones have the potential to have one aggressive moment.. which can be very dangerous. Any snake over 10' should have 2 adults around when handling. I'm not saying 10 footers can kill you, but if one didn't want to go back in its cage, or did in fact strike and constrict, it's nice to have an extra pair of hands to help since they're too strong to imagine until you actually have to deal with that kind of situation.

Thanks

I agree, before u get into the giants, get a bci or bcc. They don't get as big as a burmese or retic, but they are definately stronger than a bp!! I have a 8ft, 35lb female bci, who can be a handful at times...couldn't imagine a 15+ft, 100lb+ giant giving u problems...lol
    Female yearling BCI...Stilletto
    Female 8ft. BCI...Odin

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

you should get an olive python they get good sized but not monster sizes heres a picture of one
    http://www.reptilesbyah.com/photos/Olive/1of.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG
    Reptiles make life tolerable.
    Jeremiah Elleman[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FO

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    bci or bcc (boas) get big. Not giant in the same manner of reticulated or burmese pythons, but I'd spend a few years with one of those before even thinking of going with something else that could potentially get bigger than 10 foot.

If you're seriously considering a giant someday, your best bet is burmese or reticulated python.
    Honestly, I don't agree with this in any way. Bci, and Bcc do not, in any way, prepare you in any sense for a true giant. They just do not compare in any way/shape/form when it comes to strength, stature, size, etc. They even react/act entirely different, and to different stimuli, than the true giants.

As for the size reference with them. Their size does not compare, nor girth. Not even when it comes to safety. Your better bet...get hands on with a true Giant. Talk to as many keepers and breeders as you can, and make the dive head first. Do your homework on them, and you should do fine. Although their growth is rapid, they do not just blow up overnight. There is plenty of trial and error time in that growth period to learn about that individual animal. Treat them as individuals. Even as a species in general, each act/react/move differently than one another. Learn each movement they make and pay attention. Biggest thing is no matter how placid the animal is, do not let it lull you into a false sense of security. It is how people get seriously injured or killed, due to FR's.

As for a Retic being a good beginner "true" giant.....furthest from the truth. No giant is a good beginner giant. Period. They all have different aspects that make them both good, and bad choices as far as attitude, husbandry, medical aspects, etc. Look through and pick the species that best catches your interest. The one you love the most. Do the mentioned....learn about it, read about it, talk to experienced individuals about it, and get hands on with it....then when you feel you are ready, make the plunge. Good luck in whatever you choose

Thanks

omg that olive python is GORGEOUS!

I don't know anything about them, but I wouldn't turn one down if someone tried to give me one..

Thanks

cera I didn't say that they were good beginner giants. I said that if he was to EVER get a giant, his best bet would be retic or burmese.

In fact the purpose of my post was to try to emphasize that giants are not to be tangled by a beginner. He asked about big snakes, and although this is posted in the giant snake section, there's no arguing against the fact that boas are big, docile, and definitely fit the "beginner" herper BILLIONS of times better than any giant.

I was just trying to tell him that you can't just jump from a BP to a giant snake. You can't just go to a pet store and play with a big burm a few days and become qualified. You also can't just read online for any amount of time and get no hands on experience and be qualified. Unless you're working on a snake farm or for a zoo, I highly believe there are intermediate steps that need to be taken before ownership of a giant snake is safe. I definitely believe that some of those steps should be spending lots of quality time with increasingly larger snakes in your home.

"Taking a plunge" into giants is not recommended.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

Gio (01-28-2016)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    cera I didn't say that they were good beginner giants. I said that if he was to EVER get a giant, his best bet would be retic or burmese.
    Explain why?...

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter
    In fact the purpose of my post was to try to emphasize that giants are not to be tangled by a beginner. He asked about big snakes, and although this is posted in the giant snake section, there's no arguing against the fact that boas are big, docile, and definitely fit the "beginner" herper BILLIONS of times better than any giant.
    Every giant keeper was a beginner at one point or another, and most had done what I had stated...Hard facts of life. Nobody starts out an experienced keeper, and although they fit the better "large snake" bill, they are not giants and do not compare in any way, shape or form. End of that...

I was just trying to tell him that you can't just jump from a BP to a giant snake. You can't just go to a pet store and play with a big burm a few days and become qualified. You also can't just read online for any amount of time and get no hands on experience and be qualified. Unless you're working on a snake farm or for a zoo, I highly believe there are intermediate steps that need to be taken before ownership of a giant snake is safe. I definitely believe that some of those steps should be spending lots of quality time with increasingly larger snakes in your home.
    Now who said a few days? When you feel you are ready to take on a giant, that is your choice alone. I myself started out in giants. You are not starting out with a 20 foot snake, so yes, reading safety precautions, and husbandry techniques and articles will help greatly. You learn as you go, and as the animal grows. Hands on doesn't do too much for you either, as they all react differently. Your point?...

As for intermediate snakes. I laugh at that. There is no "intermediate". You either work with true giants, or you work with large snakes. Work with what you love. That's it. Those steps you take before buying your giant is what I've stated already. That is the learning process. Hands on with that species, and that species only, is what will prepare you for that species. Retics will not prepare you for AfRocks, and Burms will not prepare you for Retics. Same goes for Boas...Boas will not prepare you for any of the true giants in any way.

"Taking a plunge" into giants is not recommended.
    Says who? You?.... Please tell me what in your experience lends you to give that statement?....

If you are saying this due to feelings, don't. Feelings on a subject is one thing, however experience is a whole new ball game.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast