Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,769

1 members and 1,768 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thermostats

Thanks

Thermostats

I was looking at the thermostats on reptilebasics,

http://www.reptilebasics.com/Thermostats-p-1-c-250.html

Does the Helix Controls DBS 1000 Proportional Thermostat

http://www.reptilebasics.com/Helix-C...t-p-16139.html

Control both hot and cool side temperatures? Or would I need one for both sides of the tank?

Thanks

Re: Thermostats

Only has one probe so you would be able to control only one heating element. If you used two UTHs you would need two helixs.

Herpstat has a thermostat that has multiple probes, I'm not sure which model though.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Cool, I have like $200 dollars or credit to PetsMart, I was wodnering, does anyone have experince with this unit?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/zoom...ductId=2752604

Thanks

I don't have any experience with that thermostat although I can't help but assume there is a reason that it is cheaper than the others. If you want an on/off type thermostat then I would suggest a Ranco. If you want proportional (better) thermostat then I would go with a Helix or Herpstat. If you need to control two heating elements then the Herpstat II would be a good choice. I personally use a Ranco and a Herpstat Pro and they work great.
    0.1.0 RTB (Kona)
    0.1.0 RTB Anery 66% PH Albino
    1.0.0 RTB Hypo Het Anery 50% PH Albino
    1.0.0 BP (King Julian)
    0.1.0 BRB (Tiki)

Andrew Geibel

Thanks

What is your set up? Typically, you need only to control the heat with a thermostat and then the rest of the environment thermo-regulates itself.

I have Helix's and Herpstat's and will say they are both awesome products

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

Well I am moving into a new tank, and I want to do everything right the first time. I hate a medium sized UTH and two Heat Lamps (havent decided wether I want infared or ceramic yet but the is irrelivent right now). How can I keep one side at 92 and one at 82 with only one thermostat? For instance if I have my hot side at 92 right now, my cool side won't be at 82. I dont see how it would work, also my tank is 4 feet long, would be quite difficulty to thermoregulate with only one thermostat, or is that just me?

Thanks

Well with a tank like that you may need two thermostats or a thermostat with two channels. Honestly, I don't think the tank is the best idea. It might look nice but tubs are so much easier. With the heat lamps you will have trouble keeping the humidity in. If you have a tub with an appropriate sized UTH or Flexwatt you would really only need one thermostat since the tub would hold enough heat the keep the cool side ambient temp up. The tank could work but it will be much more difficult to get the temps and humidity correct and will cost significantly more.
    0.1.0 RTB (Kona)
    0.1.0 RTB Anery 66% PH Albino
    1.0.0 RTB Hypo Het Anery 50% PH Albino
    1.0.0 BP (King Julian)
    0.1.0 BRB (Tiki)

Andrew Geibel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ride_gnu View Post
    Well I am moving into a new tank, and I want to do everything right the first time. I hate a medium sized UTH and two Heat Lamps (havent decided wether I want infared or ceramic yet but the is irrelivent right now). How can I keep one side at 92 and one at 82 with only one thermostat? For instance if I have my hot side at 92 right now, my cool side won't be at 82. I dont see how it would work, also my tank is 4 feet long, would be quite difficulty to thermoregulate with only one thermostat, or is that just me?
    Are you using a 4 foot tank for a BP? That's way bigger than you would ever need or want for a ball python. They like small tight spaces, honestly. They live most of their lives underground in the wild so having a lot of open space just freaks them out and can cause them to stop eating and not properly thermoregulate which can cause health issues. I'd rethink the 4 foot tank, you're never really going to be able to control the temps and the humidity properly in something like that.
    ~Adam~

BPs: 3.9 Normals, 1.0 Spider, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 100% Het Hypo, 1.0 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Albino 1.0 Bumblebee .
    Bloods: 0.1 Marter line red, 1.0 Het T+ albino red.
    Colubrids:1.1 Western Hogs, 0.0.1 Tri-Color Hognose, 1.0 Albino Cal King,

Thanks

I've got my bigger balls in a 3x2x1 RBI cage and they are all fine and dandy: eating, pooing, thermoregulating, and breeding!!! It all depends on the individual snake and the size of the snake and the way you do the housing....

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by starmom View Post
    I've got my bigger balls in a 3x2x1 RBI cage and they are all fine and dandy: eating, pooing, thermoregulating, and breeding!!! It all depends on the individual snake and the size of the snake and the way you do the housing....

True, but those are also enclosed on all but one side sooooo not quite the same animal. Plus if he's talking about a 4 foot long tank that'd have to be what, a 100 gallon tank? That's gonna be REALLY high which won't help one bit with keeping temps up or with the snakes feeling stressed.
    ~Adam~

BPs: 3.9 Normals, 1.0 Spider, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 100% Het Hypo, 1.0 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Albino 1.0 Bumblebee .
    Bloods: 0.1 Marter line red, 1.0 Het T+ albino red.
    Colubrids:1.1 Western Hogs, 0.0.1 Tri-Color Hognose, 1.0 Albino Cal King,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast