Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,385

5 members and 3,380 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Pit bull Pics

Thanks

Re: Pit bull Pics

Quote Originally Posted by abuja View Post
    I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just amazed at how you guys can own the dog that is responsible for the most attacks on humans! I could never own a pit or a rottie, not because I think they're dangerous, but because they CAN be dangerous and are well known dogs for mauling beloved pets and family members. How do you guys do it?
    Farmers Branch, Texas, a suburb of Dallas, has kept accurate records since 1980. During a 7 year period from 1980 through 1987, this is what was recorded. Total bites: 1,593. Pit Bulls accounted for 30 bites, or 1.89% of the total. Other studies tend to show the same results and because of so many mongrels that have similar features and the unfair lumping in with the American Pit Bull Terrier ( APBT ), it seems reasonable to assume that the figures are actually much lower.

The American Temperament Test Society continually ranks Pit Bulls better in temperament than many other breeds. The Airedale Terrier, Basenji, Beagle, Bichon Frise, Border Collie, Chihuahua, Collie, Dachshund(4 of 6 varieties), English Setter, Lhasa Opso, Pomeranian, Shar-Pei, Shiba Inu, Shih Tzu, Schnauzer, and Toy Poodle all score below average and many more far below than that of the Pit Bull. Even though these other breeds temperament score is less than average many people would not even think twice in their ownership as a family pet.

According to research done by Glen Bui VP of American Canine Federation shows the following stats, which is a more accurate representation of true bite stats since it actually includes the number of fatal attacks divided by the population, which is required to determine fatal attacks based on breed.

Apx. 240,000 - 12 Fatal Attacks Chow Chow .705%
    Apx 800.000 - 67 Fatal Attacks German Shepherds .008375%
    Apx. 960,000 - 70 Fatal Attacks Rottweiler .00729%
    Apx. 128.000 - 18 Fatal Attacks Great Dane .01416%
    Apx. 114,000 - 14 Fatal Attacks Doberman .012288%
    Apx. 72,000 - 10 Fatal Attacks St Bernard .0139%
    Apx 5,000,000- 60 Fatal Attacks American Pit Bull Terrier .0012%

The odds of being struck by lightning are 1 in 600,000 in the USA. Comparatively speaking you are 6 times more likely to be struck by lightning than you are to be killed by a dog of any breed. When you further break down the odds of being attacked and killed by a Pit Bull the odds are in your favor -approximately 1 in 145,000,000. That’s million folks. In contrast, you are 4 times more likely to be killed by a cow in the USA than any breed of dog, much less a Pit Bull.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nazt For This Useful Post:

abuja (08-10-2009),Gixxermike750 (01-22-2010),Jamie-n-Heith (08-10-2009),Serpent_Nirvana (08-10-2009)

Thanks

pitbulls working as therapy dogs and search and recue
    http://www.forpitssake.org/home.html

what pitbulls are capable of
    http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/pospress.html

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nazt For This Useful Post:

abuja (08-10-2009)

Thanks

This is my 2yr old boy, White Boys "Powder."

My blue girl Paris. Unfortunately they ran off together one day and got lost. 3mths later a guy dropped Powder off at a Humane Society 35 miles away and kept her. I never got her back , that was 2 yrs ago and I still miss her.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nazt View Post
    Farmers Branch, Texas, a suburb of Dallas, has kept accurate records since 1980. During a 7 year period from 1980 through 1987, this is what was recorded. Total bites: 1,593. Pit Bulls accounted for 30 bites, or 1.89% of the total. Other studies tend to show the same results and because of so many mongrels that have similar features and the unfair lumping in with the American Pit Bull Terrier ( APBT ), it seems reasonable to assume that the figures are actually much lower.

The American Temperament Test Society continually ranks Pit Bulls better in temperament than many other breeds. The Airedale Terrier, Basenji, Beagle, Bichon Frise, Border Collie, Chihuahua, Collie, Dachshund(4 of 6 varieties), English Setter, Lhasa Opso, Pomeranian, Shar-Pei, Shiba Inu, Shih Tzu, Schnauzer, and Toy Poodle all score below average and many more far below than that of the Pit Bull. Even though these other breeds temperament score is less than average many people would not even think twice in their ownership as a family pet.

According to research done by Glen Bui VP of American Canine Federation shows the following stats, which is a more accurate representation of true bite stats since it actually includes the number of fatal attacks divided by the population, which is required to determine fatal attacks based on breed.

Apx. 240,000 - 12 Fatal Attacks Chow Chow .705%
    Apx 800.000 - 67 Fatal Attacks German Shepherds .008375%
    Apx. 960,000 - 70 Fatal Attacks Rottweiler .00729%
    Apx. 128.000 - 18 Fatal Attacks Great Dane .01416%
    Apx. 114,000 - 14 Fatal Attacks Doberman .012288%
    Apx. 72,000 - 10 Fatal Attacks St Bernard .0139%
    Apx 5,000,000- 60 Fatal Attacks American Pit Bull Terrier .0012%

The odds of being struck by lightning are 1 in 600,000 in the USA. Comparatively speaking you are 6 times more likely to be struck by lightning than you are to be killed by a dog of any breed. When you further break down the odds of being attacked and killed by a Pit Bull the odds are in your favor -approximately 1 in 145,000,000. That’s million folks. In contrast, you are 4 times more likely to be killed by a cow in the USA than any breed of dog, much less a Pit Bull.
    Great stats. We all know the quote ("There are lies, damn lies, and statistics" -- not sure who said it though), but sometimes, it can be useful to know the numbers.

Now, I wonder how infinitesimally small the odds are of being killed by a large constrictor ... (Sorry, this is a snake forum, just had to throw that out there )

Registered User Firefighter7457's Avatar
    Thanks

Hello again everyone. I was away from BP.net for a while, and am glad to see this thread still going and staying towards the top like it was when i left. I am still a little amazed by some reactions even on here of all places. With bill like SR 2811 and many other laws and amendments to the Lacey Act threatening the ownership of "dangerous" snakes there are still people in this community that cannot see past the facade placed on pitbulls. Awesome pictures everyone and i hope this keeps going strong.

Thanks

You have to love them

Thanks

This is my new boy, no name yet. I've had him about a month now and nothing seems to fit. I've been calling him Paw Paw or Pup Pup but hopefully I'll come up with something better Soon.

Powder playing with his new buddy .

He's just too cute .

Who sleeps like this?

No name yet but he's a typical pup that gets into everything,...Gotta love'em .

Thanks

http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/...ewStuff005.jpg
    Here's capone I think he look's like a big french bulldog.

3.3 Ball pythons 1 pastel,1 spider,0.1 Cal. King,0.1. bearded dragons,0.1 yellow anaconda,3.3 leopard gecko,1.1 hognoses,0.0.1 golden gecko,1.0 kenyan sand boa,1.2 corn snakes,1.1 crested geckos,1.0 san diego gopher snake,0.0.2 rose hairs,0.0.1 cobalt blues,0.0.1 sunburst babboon,1.1 empereor scorpions

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abuja View Post
    I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just amazed at how you guys can own the dog that is responsible for the most attacks on humans! I could never own a pit or a rottie, not because I think they're dangerous, but because they CAN be dangerous and are well known dogs for mauling beloved pets and family members. How do you guys do it?

Call it OCD or neurosis, but I couldn't ignore this...

Picture a wolf.
    A wild, primal, in the snow-ridden Rockies wolf.
    Running with its pack, for hours on end, ten miles a day, cooperating with each other, communicating with body language, not snapping or fighting or killing one another.

THAT, is a "dog". Before the name, before the breed, it is a DOG, and let it be known that wolf and dog DNA are virtually almost indistinguishable.

Dogs do not naturally bark, whine, and howl needlessly. They do not growl, snarl or attack another dog, unless, they are attempting to establish who is the pack leader (which, in this case, should ALWAYS be you, as the ruler of the house and owner of the dog) but it most often ends with a warning, nothing more. They do not obsess over toys or objects or other animals, nor do they cower in corners or under beds, so frightened that they urinate on the floor or even develop aggressive tendencies. They do not behave over-excitedly, bouncing off the walls and jumping all over each other.

These are ALL issues that develop as we, the owners, do not establish leadership in the dog's life and fulfill their instinctual, basic needs.

Without leadership, the dog has no direction. Without direction, the dog will take it upon themselves to satisfy their needs in other, most often unwanted or even dangerous, ways.

It is true that Pit Bulls were bred for bull- and bear-baiting, and sadly, dog-fighting, but it is NOT true that they were trained to attack people. It has never been in their blood - in fact, in those days, Pits who showed the slightest human-aggressive tendencies, were killed, as a way to cull out that behavior. Any aggression a Pit shows towards a human is because they have been abused mentally and physically since puppies, and they know no other way of life. But even THOSE dogs can be helped. They CAN be rehabilitated.

If anybody has watched The Dog Whisperer or read his books, you more than likely know what I'm talking about. And no, I am not putting down any of the people in this thread. You have all done great things with these dogs, and I admire you for advocating them. But if they do have an issue, they CAN BE HELPED. Find a dog psychologist, a professional. If you care about them, you will help them get better.

It is US who have undone their natural ways. And abuja, I doubt you will come back and read this, but... get your facts straight. Read a book or two by Cesar Millan, THEN get back to me.

Now, sorry for such a huuuuge post, and gimme a minute to post a picture of my own beautiful big boy!
    0.1 '09 Normal Ball Python - Sheva
    1.0 Crested Gecko - Sol
    1.0 SHTCTB Leopard Gecko - Paradox
    1.0 Cockatiel - Mo (Mohawk)
    0.1 Peachfaced Lovebird - Bean
    0.2 Mischievous, long-haired cats - Moxxi and Azura
    And 1.0 incredible, loving husband.

Thanks

My big love-puppy of a Pit, Brutus. He was given to us, for free, actually, because the previous people he was with were starting to starve him... Inside the house, he can be slightly fearful, but outside, he's all dog! And he's never-ending energy 24/7. I can barely keep up with him on my bike.

As you can see, someone cropped his ears, BADLY. It looks as if it was a backyard scissors job...

He's got one of the biggest tongues I've ever seen a dog have. (Again, sadly, you might also notice that his lower bicuspids are missing, possibly yanked out for god-knows-whatever reason.
    Last edited by Moofins07; 11-15-2009 at 02:44 AM.
    0.1 '09 Normal Ball Python - Sheva
    1.0 Crested Gecko - Sol
    1.0 SHTCTB Leopard Gecko - Paradox
    1.0 Cockatiel - Mo (Mohawk)
    0.1 Peachfaced Lovebird - Bean
    0.2 Mischievous, long-haired cats - Moxxi and Azura
    And 1.0 incredible, loving husband.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast