Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,418

4 members and 3,414 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

First rat pups fed

Hey everyone. So I fed off some of the very first rat pups that I produced today. I have to admit that I didnt think it would suck so much. I'm not the type that gets a thrill off feeding live but I never minded it when it was just going out to the pet store and buying some feeders. I guess its since I grew these guys up for a couple weeks and checked on them way too much and in turn grew a bit attached. I hope it gets easier to feed the little guys off as I go. Anyone else feel bad when they're feeding some of their rats??

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: First rat pups fed

All the time. It is easier to feed off those you purchase, vs those you raised.

The first time is the hardest - and it's even harder when you end up feeding off one that you considered holding back, but changed your mind on - especially if you took it out to work on socializing it some.

Thanks

It will get better. I breed my own rats, and it does not bother me at all to feed them to the snakes.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

I guess I'm getting a thicker skin cuz it's not bothering me as much as it used to to feed of our babies but I still don't particularly like it..... But that's what has to happen! Snakes are a predator and that's what they eat. My girl still can't be in the same room though when I'm feeding off the babies. She'll help me feed the snakes that take f/t but the ones that we feed live she'll start freakin out if she hears the babies squeaking when the snake strikes.....
    ~Adam~

BPs: 3.9 Normals, 1.0 Spider, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 100% Het Hypo, 1.0 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Albino 1.0 Bumblebee .
    Bloods: 0.1 Marter line red, 1.0 Het T+ albino red.
    Colubrids:1.1 Western Hogs, 0.0.1 Tri-Color Hognose, 1.0 Albino Cal King,

Thanks

I don't enjoy it at all, but I know it has to be done and I can deal with it. Open tub, drop rat in, move on.

I always get a bit elated to find one of my snakes didn't eat the rat, because then I have a second chance to decide if I would like to hang onto that one or not.

Thanks

I dont like it, but the reason you have them is to feed the snakes. its a part of life.

Thanks

I can honestly say that I've never seen any of our snakes eat! The deal I have with my husband is that I will take care of the rats and when he feeds the snakes he has to do so either when I'm not home or turn the stereo up so I don't hear anything.

I have on occasion picked out the feeders and I give them a little prayer and drop them in the bucket to take to the snake room.

I agree with Robin that it is a little harder when it's one that I've considered holding back and have socialized with. But it is part of the food chain.
    Laurie

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I know its something that has to happen and I value my snakes more than almost anything. I'm just hoping that it will suck less over time. My only comfort is that my snakes get the nutrition they need.

Thanks

oh i know what you mean. i spend what seems like hours every night working on the rodents here and its always hard to feed them off. and i almost cant let my wife see them when they are growing up because she names them all within like 2 seconds. but i do let her pic a couple out of each litter to kep for more breeding. i wish i could say it gets easier but it doesn't at least not for us...

0.1 mini weiner dog (the doodle)
    too many balls to list!!!!

Thanks

It has never gotten easier for me. I have been breeding my own rats for three years and feeding live prey since I was 10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast