Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,026

0 members and 3,026 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
    Thanks

tank temperature issues

So, I've been monitoring my temps and humidity for a few days and they just aren't what they should be.

I have a UTH on one end and using it constantly and a 75 watt night glow bulb, I get my warm side hide temp to 85-86 F; my cool side is around 79-80 F. The ambient level temp is 87 F and humidity is 45%.

I know I can get the humidity up by misting (which I will have to get a spray bottle and start doing), but my issue is with the temps. The reason the ambient is higher than the warm side is because the heat lamp is above the center of the tank and that is where that thermometer is.

I don't feel comfortable leaving the lamp on 24/7 because it gets too hot.

What method can I use or what can I add or change to get temps where I need them?

1.0.0 Normal BP (Finn)

Thanks

Re: tank temperature issues

What wattage UTH are you using and is it controlled by a thermostat?

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

i've always heard to be concerned with the floor temps. b/c they tend to stay on the bottom. i have a thermostat with a prob. i set the prob above the uth and set the temp to what i want. it seems to work for me. as with the humidity. i did away with my lamp(just dried out the air) and got a small uth for under my water dish. that bumped the humidity up in the 50's and is staying constant. hope this helps

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by starmom View Post
    What wattage UTH are you using and is it controlled by a thermostat?
    I have the UTH hooked up to a rheostat. The rheostat is pushed up all the way. I'm not sure the wattage of the UTH. It's a Zoo Med UTH for a 10-20 gallon tank.

I have two thermometers with probes - one under cool side hide; one under warm side hide. I have a thermometer/hygrometer placed inside the tank in the center, 1 inch above substrate.

1.0.0 Normal BP (Finn)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hive X View Post
    I have the UTH hooked up to a rheostat. The rheostat is pushed up all the way. I'm not sure the wattage of the UTH. It's a Zoo Med UTH for a 10-20 gallon tank.

I have two thermometers with probes - one under cool side hide; one under warm side hide. I have a thermometer/hygrometer placed inside the tank in the center, 1 inch above substrate.

i'm just about in the same boat as u. i too have a uth hooked to a rheostat and a thermo probe placed on the actual pad. the pad temps varying constantly from 89-94 or so and i'm not sure if it's the actual pad or the probe that's giving me this variance. i'm too poor to afford the higher quality equipment that's mentioned around this forum.

as far as tank temps, i have 2 thermo/hygros in the tank on each end reading 92-94 hot, 78-80 cool. i agree w/ the tank bottom temps method as bps are ground dwellers. i wasn't totally satisfied w/ the temps under the warm hide so i took out some of the bedding there and it got a bit better.

i'm tired of having two heat lamps(day and night) taking up all the space on the tank top. i've ordered a che but now i'm wondering if i should have just gotten a bigger nighttime lamp and called it a day.

Thanks

Have you considered using flexwatt?

http://www.reptilebasics.com/Flexwat...p-1-c-297.html

I would use the 11inch for a tank set up. You could probably then get rid of your lamp which should help you out with your humidity issue as well.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

I mean, is it safe to have my lamp on all day? I'm going to get a daytime bulb and use it with my nighttime bulb too, but is it safe to have them on all day?

I might try removing some substrate as well.

1.0.0 Normal BP (Finn)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hive X View Post
    I mean, is it safe to have my lamp on all day? I'm going to get a daytime bulb and use it with my nighttime bulb too, but is it safe to have them on all day?

I might try removing some substrate as well.
    i'd say as long as the bulb is the correct wattage for the lamp and it's not laying on top of anything flammable, it's ok. i have 1/2 my screen top covered in foam board w/ foil wrapped around my lamps on the other side.

yeah, try removing some substrate. i haven't noticed my snake digging up any of hers at all and the temp above the uth is just fine.

i'm awaiting a che i ordered but i'm about to go get a higher wattage nighttime bulb to see if that works.

Thanks

Flex watt is a good idea.
    Looking into an RHP is a good idea.
    Insulating the tank is a good idea.
    Getting a thermostat is a good idea.

Keeping lights on all the time is not good for the snake. I fear you'll also run into humidity problems.... Your ambient temps are high because the lights are heating the air more than any objects in the tank.

Feeling flush? Check out these cages: http://www.reptilebasics.com/2x3-Cag...h-p-16286.html. I have 6 of them and all are heated with RHP's run by Herpstat's and Helix's. They hold heat and humidity really well, they look great, and are very easy to clean

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery