Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,224

0 members and 3,224 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,111
Threads: 248,550
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GhostyBoy29

View Poll Results: what monitor should i get?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • argus monitor

5 35.71%
  • savannah monitor

9 64.29%
  • white throat monitor

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what monitor?

Thanks

Re: what monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    Though, keep in mind that sometimes Savs don't like to be held, so regular handling sessions should be on a daily schedule so you have a docile Sav. You wouldn't want a large, aggressive Sav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerhart View Post
    If you are looking for an animal you can handle, I would go Sav. They tend to calm down with handling
    Just to clear this up for the OP (who is looking for information), continuing to force handle a Sav that doesn't want to be held is a great way to have a large, angry Sav who doesn't trust its keeper.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allergenic View Post
    Just to clear this up for the OP (who is looking for information), continuing to force handle a Sav that doesn't want to be held is a great way to have a large, angry Sav who doesn't trust its keeper.
    That is why you start out with short handling sessions so you put less stress on the lizard as well as getting it used to handling. As it gets more used to the short handling sessions you extend your time.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    That is why you start out with short handling sessions so you put less stress on the lizard as well as getting it used to handling. As it gets more used to the short handling sessions you extend your time.
    Not to turn this into a handling thread, but although that may work for other animals and reptiles, it does not work for monitors, it will only exacerbate the problem. Monitors aren't snakes, or bearded dragons.

Thanks

Dug this one out of the grave eh?

...for the record...never did I say force handle...nor do I believe there is a species that "likes" to be handled out of the egg. In the end, you are 'handling' a wild animal, so handle it with respect...don't force anything.

I was just suggesting, from previous experience, Savs can mellow-down with handling...
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______
    ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!

Kansas City Chiefs

Thanks

Not to turn this into a handling thread, but although that may work for other animals and reptiles, it does not work for monitors, it will only exacerbate the problem. Monitors aren't snakes, or bearded dragons.
    Yes, I know that, but when my sister owned her Sav she would take it out for short amount of times and after a bit it got used to her and wasn't too much afraid to be handled. He did love his neck rubbed after a meal, he would close his eyes too. Not all reptiles are the same, but I do know that some Savs would adjust to handling sessions. Not all of them like it because probably 99% of them are bush babies but it isn't impossible to get them used to being handled. I've seen some very well behaved Savs that didn't mind being picked up, especially large ones.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

...for the record...never did I say force handle...
    I was just suggesting, from previous experience, Savs can mellow-down with handling...
    For a monitor that doesn't like to be held, is there another kind of handling besides force-handling? What do you call it then? Happy-handling?

Thanks

Dug this one out of the grave eh?

...for the record...never did I say force handle...nor do I believe there is a species that "likes" to be handled out of the egg. In the end, you are 'handling' a wild animal, so handle it with respect...don't force anything.

This is definitely agreeable, if my sister's Sav mellowed-down a bit after being handled for short sessions I do believe it isn't impossible for others to go the same way.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

For a monitor that doesn't like to be held, is there another kind of handling besides force-handling? What do you call it then? Happy-handling?
    Nope...

First off you can't rush into handling...you need to start off slow...do not FORCE anything.

If it is exhibiting any sign of not wanting to be handled...hissing...tail lashing...then you leave it alone.

Start with baby steps in the approach...

Really isn't a difficult concept to wrap your head around...
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______
    ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!

Kansas City Chiefs

Thanks

Nope...
    First off you can't rush into handling...you need to start off slow...do not FORCE anything.
    You missed my point. If a monitor doesn't want to be held, and you are holding it, you are force-handling. Whether it's for 5 minutes or 5 seconds, you are still force-handling.

Bad advice for the OP, all around. Aren't you the same guy who said above that Savs don't need deep substrate?

Thanks

You missed my point. If a monitor doesn't want to be held, and you are holding it, you are force-handling. Whether it's for 5 minutes or 5 seconds, you are still force-handling.
    You aren't getting the point he is trying to give you, he isn't missing your point at all.

No reptile wants to be handled. But we took the little steps in handling that docile reptiles do not really mind if they are being handled.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast