Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,209

2 members and 3,207 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,576
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

I was food??? bitten and wrapped!

Hey everybody, first post here..

Just wondering how many of us have been bitten and constricted? It happened to me tonight, this is my first bite from a ball python as well. This came from a snake who was never aggressive, and wasn't scared either. Pretty much the common among the ball python stereotypes. He wrapped my hand up and didn't let go for about 4 minutes or so.....

Has this happened to many of you guys before? If so what were the signs leading up to it?, I had just picked up my snake and was transfering him into my left hand when he struck my middle finger of my left hand, and wrapped me up! He seemed very anxious before I picked him up, I suppose looking back I had a hold up sign at 3rd base, but I kept running for home....

Any info is appreciated...
    thanks!

Thanks

Re: I was food??? bitten and wrapped!

Forgot to mention, the snake ate two days prior, about 54 hours to be exact. It was a smaller rat pup than he is used to. The snake is 3.5 months old and probably 170-200 grams.

Thanks

Many times ball pythons react strongly to certain smells. Were you handling rodents or even frozen rodents beforehand? Also, were you doing anything to cause your hands to smell funny?

My female ball is an angel, and the one time she has EVER hissed at me was right after I got home from a doctor's office and stank of "doctor smell"

Thanks

hatchlings are somewhat unpredictable. be glad it wasn't an adult. defensive strikes are nothing but a feeding strike really sucks

You say he was anxious, thats a sign your going to get a bite.
    My Collection: 3.2 Mojave, 4.9.3 Normal, 1.0 Het Pied, 0.8 Pos. Het Pied

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Somed00d For This Useful Post:

RoyalGuardian (11-08-2008)

Thanks

I could have smelled like chicken? possibly?
    Would this snake still be considered a hatchling at nearing 200 grams? He definately wasn't acting normal.

Will he forget about this and be fine in a day? Should I wait? I figured he could see me and obviously feel me picking him up and not strike based on that alone..... I guess I was wrong!

To answer the questions, no I wasn't handling rodents of any kind.

I guess I just want reassurance, it was obviously a feeding strike...right? Otherwise he wouldn't have wrapped my fingers like he did. He clearly thought food was around. Assuming I just pay attention next time, and heed the writing on the wall, everything should be just fine?

Thanks

it could have been the chicken smell

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

lol i would say either u fed him a smaller prey and he was still hungry or the chicken smell. im not sure if you are aware of this but they seem to love chicken broth? alot of people that has snakes that get stubborn and not eat or some other similar or odd reason will dip the rodents head in chicken broth and the snake will usually take it then. i use it myself when mine are stubborn lol.

Thanks

I walk into my room where the snakes terrarium is....and his head is resting on the top of his hide (a clay pot). As soon as he sees me enter the room, he perks up like its feeding time, and alertly follows my every move. Just like he is interested in food. I always feed him in another seperate container though....

hopefully he is over this in the morning!

Thanks

Well, I guess that's it, he's tasted human blood, he can never go back. *hands you a gun* Well, looks like it's time for you to go out and get him some food my friend.

<3

Probably the chicken, chicken broth is supposed to make a snake more likely to take a mouse/rat so it could very well have been that.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Thanks

Ive been bitten by a 700 gram spider and constricted, stupid me was moving her from under her newspaper after feeding some other snakes so this was a full blown attack. Didnt really hurt, I just stayed calm and let her be until she let go.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast