Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,988

1 members and 2,987 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,555
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
    Thanks

Lightbulb what do these genetic-ey terms mean!?

What is this heterozygous pied mean?? What do the percentages mean? (ex 50% het pied or 100% Het pied)

They look like normals to me. ALL THE GENETICS STUFF IS TOO CONFUSING FOR ME! Someone please 'splain?

Oh and how do I get on of my pictures to appear by my name on the left? Thanks guysies.

Thanks

Re: what do these genetic-ey terms mean!?

heterozygous means that the snake will look normal but will carry the trait to look like a pied. Basically it has only half of the genes to make the snake look like a pied.

the percentages are a representation of the chances the snake will be carrying the trait. So if you breed a snake that is a pied to a normal you know that the resulting snakes will get the pied trait. So they are 100% het pied. You know for sure they are carrying the trait. But if you breed one of these het pieds to a normal you are not guaranteed that the resulting snakes will get the trait. So thats when you start getting the 66% and 50% labels. Do a google search on punnet squares for more information.

To get an avatar click "User Cp" at the top left of the page and then go to "edit avatar". upload image. Tadaaa!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

JLC wrote a really nice article that should help explain the genetics thing to you.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

"heterozygous means that the snake will look normal but will carry the trait to look like a pied. Basically it has only half of the genes to make the snake look like a pied."

That's only the case with recessive genes(such as piebalds). Technically, heterozygous means that one gene in an alele pair is a mutated gene. Homozygous means that both genes in an alele pair are mutated. Co-dominant and dominant heterozygous morphs don't look normal.

HaleBug: do read the link dr del provided above my post, it's good especially if you don't know your high school biology. This really is basic stuff and shouldn't be difficult to pick up, any 9th grader should be able to understand it. If you have any questions after reading the basic lesson in genetics, we're here to help

Thanks

Thanks,
    Sorry, must have been high through highschool biology
    It's great to know there aren't any condescending types on here
    Have a good one!