Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,350

2 members and 1,348 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

ARG. I HATE store feeders!

Saturday: Bought several mice and one small feeder rat from Pet Warehouse. Thinking I can trust the nice young lady fetching the rat for me, I don't check to make sure it's a-okay, she looks animal-savvy enough.

Sunday: All mice fed. Rat is doing fine, although I noticed that you can feel every bone in this poor little guys body. He is eating and drinking well. Figuring I'll fatten him up as best as I can until Friday rolls around (feeding day).

Monday: Still eating and drinking. Noticed he seems a little off. Bit me. Hard.

Tuesday (today): Curled up. Barely responsive. Won't eat or drink. Trying to bite. An hour later, half his legs arn't working, still not eating or drinking. Decides to fall over and start to die.

I hate petstores with there improper care and there sick feeders and there uncaring people and there general overpricedness.

Out of ten pet shop people I have met. Only two (if) actually enjoyed being around the animals and ensured the proper care of them. Kudos if you are one of these people, you make going to the pet store actually enjoyable.

As for the rest of them...

ARG.

I am SO glad I am breeding my own rats to feed. If I had anything in the size I need, I would have just fed one of mine.
    Last edited by dr del; 11-04-2008 at 08:31 PM. Reason: removing inappropriate language
    Someone keeps trying to access my accounts. Who are you? Just e-mail me, as that's clearly how you're finding me. Quit messing around.

Thanks

Re: ARG. I HATE store feeders!

i know how ya feel thats why i started breeding my own feeders.

0.1 mini weiner dog (the doodle)
    too many balls to list!!!!

Thanks

They get four different shipments of feeders, the ones that come in during the middle of the months are the healthier fancy mice. They aren't great when it comes to caring for their feeders, but once you get the animals away from the store on a proper diet, they seem to thrive. I've seen their animals go without water for days. If you bring your own container, you get 10c off for each feeder.

Thanks

Pet Warehouse is just nasty. I feel like I need to take a shower just looking at their feeders. They usually have super cute fancy mice, but I am afraid they have diseases so I steer clear.

There is a grand total of one store in my area that has nice feeders. It's a mom and pop place that breeds their own. People think it's no big deal because they are just feeders, but the quality of feeders has a big role in the health of your snake. Most people just don't care though

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onebreitgirl View Post
    Pet Warehouse is just nasty. I feel like I need to take a shower just looking at their feeders. They usually have super cute fancy mice, but I am afraid they have diseases so I steer clear.

There is a grand total of one store in my area that has nice feeders. It's a mom and pop place that breeds their own. People think it's no big deal because they are just feeders, but the quality of feeders has a big role in the health of your snake. Most people just don't care though
    I feel the same way. Anytime I got feeders from them, I'd buy in bulk (50 or so at a time). It gave me time to quarantine, and fatten them up. I used to breed my own feeders, but seeing as I no longer have live feeders, it's not necessary.

On a trip to Joplin, MO I did pick up ten or so of their fancy mice, but not to feed off really, more as a project. I picked up some local females around here to breed them to once they all come out of quarantine.

The feeders aren't the only unhealthy looking animals at their store. The way they care for their reptiles is horrible.