Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,800

1 members and 2,799 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Thanks

Re: Review RBI 3x2 with RHP

Quote Originally Posted by chetman7 View Post
    Is there a possibility that when my snake is sitting on the hot side for a period of time and he moves to the cold hide..that his body heat and throwing up my thermomters that are placed underneath the cool hide???
    If I am understanding you, are you asking if he is heating up the cool side hide? No, I don't think so.

What size RHP do you have? I have a 3x2 AP cage and it is working great with the 40W RHP. I know it is working for a few people, but in my opinion the 80W is too big for MOST 3' cage applications..

Where do your have you tstat probe?
    My Daughters name all the animals...

0.1 BP - Normal (Seviper)
    0.1 RTB - Normal BCI (Ekans)
    0.0.1 GTP - Merauke (Carnivine)
    0.1 RTB - Suriname BCC (Sand Ma'am...a.k.a. Sandy)
    0.1 RTB - Anery BCI (Onix)

Thanks

I"m using the 80 watt cause my ambients can go as low as 70F.
    Last night when he was in the warm hide. my temps were PERFECT 90 and 81.

My thermostat probe in through the vent hanging on the wall under neath the RHP.

Any ideas?

A representative at RBI said I could change out for the 40 watt. I might do a test of both. but wat is throwing me off right now is that my temps were perfect.
    Chester

1.0 normal bp- Jake
    0.2 crested geckos- Reptar & ________

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chetman7 View Post
    I"m using the 80 watt cause my ambients can go as low as 70F.
    Last night when he was in the warm hide. my temps were PERFECT 90 and 81.

My thermostat probe in through the vent hanging on the wall under neath the RHP.

Any ideas?

A representative at RBI said I could change out for the 40 watt. I might do a test of both. but wat is throwing me off right now is that my temps were perfect.
    Well I have a couple of thoughts. Put a thermometer in the room and find the max/min of the room. This could be affecting your temp swings.

I once had my probe kind of like you and I wasn't satisfied with the results. I ended up attaching it to the top of the warm hide (inside). See my prev posts on that. It works great. I like it that way because the RHP tends to heat objects more than air so I get a more consistent reading that way. Worst case, you could use the RHP for ambient temp (placed in the center) then use a UTH or flex under the warm hide.
    My Daughters name all the animals...

0.1 BP - Normal (Seviper)
    0.1 RTB - Normal BCI (Ekans)
    0.0.1 GTP - Merauke (Carnivine)
    0.1 RTB - Suriname BCC (Sand Ma'am...a.k.a. Sandy)
    0.1 RTB - Anery BCI (Onix)

Thanks

I also have the same RBI cage with the same 80 Watt RHP.

I have had great success with my temps and humidity though. I ran the probe to my Helix stat thru one of the vent holes in the back and then foil taped the probe in place on the floor of the hot side underneath the craft paper that I use for bedding. My temps have been great and stead at 89 hot side and 81 cool side.

I hope you can get this straightened out - I'm sure you must be disappointed.

Good Luck.
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

Thanks

I don't understand what the deal is here....

I have two 3-stacks of cages all heated with 80watt RHP's. I have probe in the middle cage. The temps within the cages (a little variance) dictates where the hides go in each cage. I also have some holes melted into the hot hides to disallow heat build-up within the hide.

Are you using a temp gun? Are you taking the temps when the RHP is on? Have you fiddled with hide placement?

Just some thoughts....

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by starmom View Post
    I don't understand what the deal is here....

I have two 3-stacks of cages all heated with 80watt RHP's. I have probe in the middle cage. The temps within the cages (a little variance) dictates where the hides go in each cage. I also have some holes melted into the hot hides to disallow heat build-up within the hide.

Are you using a temp gun? Are you taking the temps when the RHP is on? Have you fiddled with hide placement?

Just some thoughts....
    yea I believe my hides are in the right spots. one is the farthest is can be from the RHP and the other is right under it.

I decided to do some more testing
    being a bio major taught me to think a certain way lol

I took the bp out of the cage. placed the hides where they were and let it sit for about 20 minutes. I waited til the temps stayed relatively constant and recorded the temps which were 89 hot and 81 cold. heres my..baseline figures o and room temps were 76 for the whole time.

I placed jake back in in the cage, he went straight into the cold hide. I waited another 20 minutes and my temps were 89 and 85.

I let some time pass until jake moved into the hot hide...waited til temps stabilized and temps went to 91.4 hot to 81.7 cold.

There was a trend I guess that whatever hide he was in, the temp increased. Dunno if this makes sense but this is what info I got. I got nothing to do tomorrow. so I'm gonna keep a close eye on him tonight and find that exact moment where the cold side temps go to 90F. I"m gonna find the culprit.

Starmom. as of right now all I am taking temps with 2 thermometers with probes on the floor of the hide..under the hide. I have a temp gun on the way.
    Chester

1.0 normal bp- Jake

Thanks

How's it going now?

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

everything is perfect , its been like that for a couple of days now.. I dunno what was going on with my temps before...maybe the second apocalypse??
    Chester

1.0 normal bp- Jake

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345