Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,304

3 members and 3,301 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For a baby

Thanks

For a baby

As i had a leop gecko before i have many things for a snake. for a baby ball is a 24 x 12 x 12 inches tank to big??? if i pack it with a few things?
    also id love a look at your tanks is there a tank thread? if not post some in here please

Thanks

Re: For a baby

to be honest if you go out and but sterilite tubs they work alot better than tanks. They are cheap and they keep humidity in really well. I used to have tanks but I just switched to tubs. May not look as pretty but I'm more for the health and well being of the animal than the looks.
    ~*Luna*~ The crazy Sagittarius/Snake BP Lady
    Cal and Ki's Proud Mommy.
    ~~* Goddess Bless*~~
    1.0.0- Normal Ball Python (Kyros "Ki")
    0.1.0- Normal*Spider sibling*Ball Python(Calypso"Cal")
    1.0.0- Betta fish (Leonidas "Leo")
    Steve Irwin (2/22/62 - 9/4/06)
    Sagittarius- Shockingly blunt since the beginning of time!

Thanks

I actually just purchased all kinds of snake stuff today for my first tank setup. I'll try and take some pictures as I put things together to give a nice guide to what I did. There is a thread about setting up a tank, but no pictures are included and it's the "overkill" method - putting money into the thing as opposed to throwing together random stuff.

Once I see how a tank setup does, I might try with a second snake and try the tub method to see how that works.

1.0.0 Normal BP (Finn)

Thanks

thanks yes pics would be good

Thanks

I just bought a Critter Cage 20L tank - it's 30x12x12; so to answer one question you asked, no, your size tank isn't too big IMO.

Here are some pics of the process I took of insulating the sides and back of the tank as well as insulating the tank lid.

Supplies:

- cork board squares (I bought a package of four at 12"x12")
    - 1 roll of duct tape (I bought a medium roll and black in color - I would buy the big roll)
    - aluminum foil
    - utility knife
    - cutting board
    - scissors

Method:

1. Open cork board squares. Hold up to one end of tank and measure off size for glass surface area. (I used a pencil to draw off a line where the cork board was too big, then cut the extra off - SAVE FOR LATER)

2. I taped one piece of tape from top to bottom going through the center of the cork board. I then taped off all four edges of the cork board so it was positioned and stuck to the glass/plastic tank edges. [Do this for both ends]

3. Take the 2 extra foam pieces to use for the back of the tank. You'll need 3 of the 4 extra cut pieces to use to help cover the back of the tank. I positioned the three skinny slivers in the middle and put the two whole pieces on both sides of those. I taped using the same method.

4. For the lid of the tank, I stretched out 3 pieces of aluminum foil that would fully cover the lid. I folded the 3 foil layers over on all four edges to make it fit slightly smaller than the mesh screen of the lid. I then put a cutting board under the foil and cut out a square shape through all three layers of foil for ventilation/lighting to go through.

5. Next I taped down the foil to the screen/lid and taped it down COMPLETELY. The only thing showing of my lid is the square for ventilation and lighting. Everything else is taped so as little air as possible can escape.

6. With my extra tape I finished taping up the sides and back of the tank so it would all be black instead of having areas of cork board showing. (I ran out on the back in a small spot - that's why I'd get the big roll of tape )

Here are some photos of my stuff:

I apologize if they're hard to see, but it's the best I could do with what I had available. If you need further instructions or have any questions let me know. Obviously you don't have to do it like this, but this is what I chose to do after someone showed me this method. Hope this helps.

1.0.0 Normal BP (Finn)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Hive X For This Useful Post:

reptile3 (10-31-2008),RoyalGuardian (10-28-2008),Thor26 (10-31-2008)

Thanks

Good job!!

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

Not a problem! I'm glad to help. Someone showed me pictures a couple months back and it helped me understand.

I'll get some more photos up as soon as I get the tank fully put together. I still have to bake the wood decoration that I got and need to lay paper towels/substrate down.

Oh, and get the snake

1.0.0 Normal BP (Finn)

Thanks

thanks very much yes it does help
    i appreciate all that thanks

Thanks

Not at all a problem. Good luck!

1.0.0 Normal BP (Finn)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I've got a baby and I'm using the same sized tank you mentioned. She doesn't seem to have a problem with it. You can see the most recent pictures of it here: http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...threadid=78239

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast