Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,317

1 members and 3,316 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Virginia Beach, VA - Woman killed by pet python

"But by the grace of God there go I"

That's certainly true of each and every one of us who have handled a large animal of any kind (except maybe domestic dogs). I must say I'm shocked... ... at how many people are talking about how stupid she was and what a moron she was as if they've never done something stupid that could have cost them their lives. Only difference between any of us and her is that she got called to account for one of her mistakes and so far we haven't.

I'm just left with this bit of Biblicalesque wisdom to give - Let he who is without mistakes cast the first stone

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bsd13 For This Useful Post:

broadude (10-25-2008),hoax (11-28-2008),kratos (10-25-2008),scoobyark (10-27-2008),Whodinidunit (10-27-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

That's us... Bp.net: The friendliest online community.....who can only seem to talk about how stupid someone was to break a rule when it killed them. Yay us!
    --Walt

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to waltah! For This Useful Post:

Bruce Whitehead (10-24-2008),hoax (11-28-2008),kratos (10-25-2008),Morphie (10-25-2008),scoobyark (10-27-2008),SoCaliSon (10-24-2008),Sputnik (10-24-2008),Whodinidunit (10-27-2008)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waltah! View Post
    That's us... Bp.net: The friendliest online community.....who can only seem to talk about how stupid someone was to break a rule when it killed them. Yay us!
    Too true.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Tell me this.

When some guy gets killed for drag racing on public streets, what's the first thing that most of you think?

My guess is this: "that guy was an idiot," quickly followed by, "I feel so sorry for his family that his stupidity took his young life."

Choices were made, consequences were the result.

Doing it before or not has nothing to do with her dying. It was a STUPID thing to do. There is no way around that.

Eh, I'm not trying to convince any of you that I'm right and you're wrong. If there is a right or wrong it really makes no difference to her. She's still stupid and still dead.

If you don't want me to talk about you being stupid, don't do stupid things.

When I do stupid things, which I have and will again, feel free to talk about me or not. As you see fit is fine.

But don't try to force your morality or mores on me. I didn't ask for them, don't want them, and honestly am not really even interested in why you think what I think is so bad.

You all go right ahead and pat yourselves on the back and talk about how compassionate you are and how much you care about people you never met and how terrible those of us who disagree with you must be.

And when a ringneck snake is the only reptile you can keep because all the others pose a threat to STUPID people, you just come right on back to this thread pat each other some more.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

monk90222 (10-25-2008)

Thanks

That poor girl! I think it sounds fishy but you never know.... She was so pretty! Its so sad....
    ~*Luna*~ The crazy Sagittarius/Snake BP Lady
    Cal and Ki's Proud Mommy.
    ~~* Goddess Bless*~~
    1.0.0- Normal Ball Python (Kyros "Ki")
    0.1.0- Normal*Spider sibling*Ball Python(Calypso"Cal")
    1.0.0- Betta fish (Leonidas "Leo")
    Steve Irwin (2/22/62 - 9/4/06)
    Sagittarius- Shockingly blunt since the beginning of time!

Thanks

i call foul play.

Were there scratch marks or injury to the snake? Did the snake possibly bite her?

How hard would it be for a grown man to crush a womans throat with an arm? maybe it was someone else? maybe another object used instead? *would they leave visible marks as compared to a snake performing the same action?*

Im all for hearing how this could have happened like this. But i have a real hard time believing a 10 foot snake could kill a person without receiving injury to itself as well. I know i would be clawing at a snake around my neck and tearing it apart, among other things if my life depended on it. ( maybe not, but i have a hard time believing myself that i would go down without a fight)

Would the coils of a snake that size, block off the bloodflow to the brain before they crushed the esophagus?

Thanks for any answers to those that might be able to answer them for me. I am just, honestly, having a hard time believing this went down as it did. I suppose its a fault of mine, or learned practice to be skeptical.
    Alicia Holmes
    www.BerkshireBoids.com
    Enough snakes that i cant count them properly anymore.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mooingtricycle For This Useful Post:

monk90222 (10-25-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mooingtricycle View Post
    i call foul play.

Were there scratch marks or injury to the snake? Did the snake possibly bite her?

How hard would it be for a grown man to crush a womans throat with an arm? maybe it was someone else? maybe another object used instead? *would they leave visible marks as compared to a snake performing the same action?*

Im all for hearing how this could have happened like this. But i have a real hard time believing a 10 foot snake could kill a person without receiving injury to itself as well. I know i would be clawing at a snake around my neck and tearing it apart, among other things if my life depended on it. ( maybe not, but i have a hard time believing myself that i would go down without a fight)

Would the coils of a snake that size, block off the bloodflow to the brain before they crushed the esophagus?

Thanks for any answers to those that might be able to answer them for me. I am just, honestly, having a hard time believing this went down as it did. I suppose its a fault of mine, or learned practice to be skeptical.
    Moo, I personally saw this happen.

I knew this guy who had a retic. It too happened to be about 10 feet long and not very thick, though it was a bit larger than the one in the pictures.

This guy with the retic knew another guy. This other guy was small, maybe 5'7" and 145lbs dripping wet. Not exactly muscle bound but not a weakling by any means.

So, this little guy comes out wearing the retic. (I think I told this story on fauna once) We laughed when the snake pinned one of his arms. We chuckled with him when the snake looped his neck. We laughed some more when it sent a loop out and pinned his other arm to his chest.

Now the snake has both arms pinned and a loop around his neck. It's not a big snake by any means. Long and skinny.

He started turning red which just turned the laughter up.

When he started turning purple we got up and unwrapped him.

The snake never bit him, never to upset, never really even moved fast. But it wrapped him up and would have killed him had he not followed THE rule for having large snakes.

I am in no way saying it wasn't intentional, that was my first thought. I am saying that I can see how a snake that size could kill a small person.
    www.humanewatch.org

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

mooingtricycle (10-25-2008)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post

But don't try to force your morality or mores on me. I didn't ask for them, don't want them, and honestly am not really even interested in why you think what I think is so bad.
    Welcome to the real world. Morality exists and we all have to deal with it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Tell me this.

When some guy gets killed for drag racing on public streets, what's the first thing that most of you think?

My guess is this: "that guy was an idiot," quickly followed by, "I feel so sorry for his family that his stupidity took his young life."

Choices were made, consequences were the result.

Doing it before or not has nothing to do with her dying. It was a STUPID thing to do. There is no way around that.

Eh, I'm not trying to convince any of you that I'm right and you're wrong. If there is a right or wrong it really makes no difference to her. She's still stupid and still dead.

If you don't want me to talk about you being stupid, don't do stupid things.

When I do stupid things, which I have and will again, feel free to talk about me or not. As you see fit is fine.

You all go right ahead and pat yourselves on the back and talk about how compassionate you are and how much you care about people you never met and how terrible those of us who disagree with you must be.

And when a ringneck snake is the only reptile you can keep because all the others pose a threat to STUPID people, you just come right on back to this thread pat each other some more.
    I don't see anyone trying to push their morals on you here. You must be a little interested in why we think what you said was bad because you took the time to type this long reply. The people who just want to say how stupid she is keep saying "I have a right to my opinion". Guess what, so do I. I highly doubt that anyone is patting themselves on the back here. I agree that if this woman was handling a retic alone and it did kill her that it was a huge mistake. I don't see how calling her stupid over and over is gonna help anything.
    --Walt

15. The Following User Says Thank You to waltah! For This Useful Post:

kratos (10-25-2008)

Thanks

I don't see how calling her stupid over and over is gonna help anything.
    Then perhaps you will lead the way in letting this go.
    www.humanewatch.org

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast