Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,285

2 members and 3,283 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

Re: Virginia Beach, VA - Woman killed by pet python

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Not trying to be insensitive here but really how many keepers have to die while medicating their large Retics before they realize it's not a good idea to do something like that alone?

So tragic and untimely, and sad...
    These are always horrible to hear about.

There are long lasting and serious ramifications on so many levels... to the person, the family, the hobby, legislators, the animal in question. Especially when it is a preventable situation.

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks

Though this could have been prevented, it was not.
    And it happened, therefore the situation has become tragic. Though this situation doesn't sound 100% alright, it is possible.

I add my huge condolences to the family of this woman, as well as the friends and people who cared about her. Everyone makes mistakes, and hers didn't end up well.
    I guess I almost put myself in this situation, if one of my snakes that large killed me in the future, how my family would feel. It's a very painful thought.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to blackcrystal22 For This Useful Post:

reptile3 (10-24-2008)

Thanks

Sometimes animal lovers forget that their pets are animals and think they know their temperaments. Unfortunately this had a horrible tragic ending.

I've been to reptile shows where this guy displays a huge "tame" alligator and he offered to take pictures if a child wanted to sit on it's back. I'm sure a lot of you know the guy I'm talking about. I personally would never put my child or grandchild on the back of that alligator because in the back of my mind I'm thinking "all that alligator needs is to have one bad day and the situation could turn very ugly". Luckily it never happened and since I've hear the alligator unfortunately passed away.
    Laurie

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Very tragic.

To those who were speculating (past tense because I assume you've come to realize based on what the experts have said you were wrong) it was the husband I'm curious what in the article even made you think that was possible?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marmie View Post
    I've been to reptile shows where this guy displays a huge "tame" alligator and he offered to take pictures if a child wanted to sit on it's back.
    ok at that point you're just asking for it
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/signaturepics/sigpic6096_1.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by BT41042 View Post
    Your going to Hell

Thanks

Very sad for the poor lady and her family .

But it doesnt take CSI to think the husband had something to do with it. In most cases husbands do have everything to do with it, and why would this be any different.

We all know that police usually dont reveal to the media, what they dont want you to know, or what they dont want the real suspect to know what the police really knows. So knowing that, if they even suspect the husband it could take a very long time to gather the evidence, and file charges, and even if the husband is a suspect, without sufficient evidence they will never charge him, and we go on living thinking that the snake killed the lady, but only the husband, the snake, and GOD knows what really happened.

my .02

Thanks

"Reticulated Tiger Python", I'm really curious how the media managed to get ahold of the morph of the animal and misconstrue it to be the actual name of the species. I'm sure they interviewed the husband about what kind it was, but I can't imagine him saying anything but just "reticulated python".

I think if a keeper must handle a large snake such as a retic alone, it's probably best to have a very large hunting knife within reach. Even if it's your prized tiger retic, in a situation like that, it's you or the snake.

Thanks

Sad for her husband & family...
    Stephanie

Thanks

man that really sucks = [
    i watch to much TV so of course all kinds of scenarios run through my mind and anything is possible. I have heard from "people" that 90% percent of the people who die from attacks from large constrictors are killed because they don't want to hurt the snake. al i have to say is if i'm wrapped.....it's on like donkey kong

Thanks

I knew her, and for all of the other that have even suggested it, No her husband had nothing to do with it, he had told her to wait to do any thing with it until he got home. They have determind that it was the snake and not him. Not to mention he was at work the whole time, the snake was named Diablo, it was named that for a reason. He has gone and gotten rid of all of the snakes they had because of this, and has given Animal control the green light to have the snake put down because of this. It was 10 foot tiger retic, they had 5 retic's all together for a total of 8 snakes. She worked at one of the local pet stores here in the Reptile department, she knew her stuff. They are saying that she was trying to Med the snake but we do not know that for sure. Just the same she is gone and it is tragic, we have lost 2herp lovers, her and her husband.
    http://dragcave.net/incubators/incubator_bityrock28.png

Amanda

1.2 Corn
    2.1 RTB's
    0.1 Great Dane
    1.1 Cat
    1.1 Kids
    1.0 Hubby

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bityrock24 For This Useful Post:

ANCPYTHONS (10-24-2008),anendeloflorien (10-24-2008),Bruce Whitehead (10-24-2008),hoax (11-28-2008),kratos (10-25-2008),Muze (10-27-2008)

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast