Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,318

3 members and 3,315 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Virginia Beach, VA - Woman killed by pet python

Quote Originally Posted by broadude View Post
    I have till now kept out of this, because I could see the rationale on both sides.

However, reading how she had experience and that reptiles were not new to her, I am of the mind that she wasn't "stupid," nor did she make a "stupid" mistake. I would label it more "misplaced" concern.

She seemed to be more concerned about the animal's health than her own safety. Perhaps she thought that she knew the snake well enough to be able to handle it on her own. We will never know what behaviors that the animal was displaying that made her take that chance.
    I agree with you. Honestly, this thread should have been over a while ago. Someone died trying to take care of their sick snake. Her actions may not have been well thought out, but it wasn't as if she died trying to wrangle some deadly snake to impress others.
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Wow...This thread is a great reminder of why I stopped coming here...some of you seem to have a firm grasp on reality, but I think you're still out-numbered by the insane, holier-than-thou, have never made a mistake in their life.

I'm gone...and don't worry, I'll be leaving so fast the door won't have time to hit me on the a$$!
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 10-29-2008 at 06:09 PM.
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
    Wow...This thread is a great reminder of why I stopped coming here...some of you seem to have a firm grasp on reality, but I think you're still out-numbered by the insane, holier-than-thou, have never made a mistake in their life

I'm gone...and don't worry, I'll be leaving so fast the door won't have time to hit me on the a$$!
    The more good people are run off because of the "holier than thou..." the fewer people with a "firm grasp on reality" left to hold them in check.

I hope you rethink your decision.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 10-29-2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: removed sensor smilies from quote

"Price has very little to do with QUALITY. Quality stands on its own merit and doesn't need a hefty price tag to prove its worth."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monk90222 View Post
    exactly....the husband requested the snake to be put down. The body of the snake can be disposed of....
    yes, God forbid the man doesn't want the snake that killed his wife to ever be seen or to hurt anyone else...
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Colin Vestrand For This Useful Post:

broadude (10-29-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Let's make no mistake about this - this is a tragedy - but an avoidable one. While my condolences go out to this woman's family, it doesn't change the fact that she was acting irresponsibly.

I continue to read articles and posts from people who talk about how "tame" their giants are. Let's get back to reality - they aren't tame, they don't "think", the concept of "trustworthy" should not be used in conjunction with any reptile and continuing to propagate these myths is doing nothing but putting our hobby in danger.

Too many giant reptiles, be it monitors or snakes, are being sold to people who have no business owning them. When I see articles in magazines espousing that retics and burms make excellent captives, I cringe. When people are using giants as "meet and greet" animals at kids parties and events, I cringe. We sit here and wring our hands about the government stepping in and trying to regulate our hobby, but very few people are making any effort at self regulation.

It is a matter of time until something even more tragic happens. What's everyone's reaction going to be when a burm or a retic constricts someone's kid because it smelled the family cat or bunny on them? When the leading magazine in our hobby is running articles stating that they make good captives or showing pictures of children petting a 13' snake at a party - what message is being broadcast?

All this talk about "knowing" the animal or discussing that somehow her behavior was acceptable because it was docile is silly. It's a giant, potentially deadly animal with a brain the size of a marble. All you need to know is that if it's hungry or upset, all bets are out the window.

You can't make comparisons between taking a chance with a 5' ball python and an 11' retic. While it's tragic that someone lost their life this way, asking people to censor their feelings on the issue out of respect for the dead is uncalled for. It's incidents like this that are putting the future of our hobby on the line.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 92phantom View Post
    i no a girl on reptile geeks who knew this lady and said she was always careful and repectful to her snakes she had a couple more besides that retic. and she said that the retic was really docile but put a needle near me or retrain me to give me medicine i'm gonna fight to if i was snake. They don't know whats goin on just whether or not its feeding time.
    Very true...also yes she did have more. I belive in adition to.... there was a Burm. Python, 2-3 GTP's A red tail boa, a king snake and I think maybe one more. They also said that she worked w/ reps. for a few years...no master but well aware enough to know the situation and if it was dangerous or not. Leading to this.......

Quote Originally Posted by monk90222 View Post
    Back to my original thought....eliminate some of the physical evidence.....
    I wouldn't be suprised if he WAS envolved in it. It is still under investagation as far as I know.
    0.0.1 Ball Python

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

some of you guys are crazy! there is a girl dead and i hear she is stupid and a moron.if this was a relative of yours would you still call them stupid?or a moron?alot of you are just as cold blooded as the animals you keep!friggin makes me sick to even think of such BS.i would issue out bad reps but i dont have time .thats sad to say considering this is the friendliest reptile forum on the net

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Butters420 View Post
    some of you guys are crazy! there is a girl dead and i hear she is stupid and a moron.if this was a relative of yours would you still call them stupid?or a moron?alot of you are just as cold blooded as the animals you keep!friggin makes me sick to even think of such BS.i would issue out bad reps but i dont have time .thats sad to say considering this is the friendliest reptile forum on the net
    So then, let me see if I have a proper grasp of your point of view.

Since your opinion is not "gospel" some of us are less than you?

How interesting.

Does it get lonely up on that pedestal you've glued your backside to?

Coldblooded does not equate to honest.

Are you inferring that this dead girl, stupidly and moronically dead by the way, was not acting in a stupid or moronic fashion? Was she exhibiting extreme intelligence? Was she above THE rule for handling large constrictors? Because she's dead we shouldn't speak the truth?

How stupid and moronic is that?

You're welcome to your feelings but you are no better, and probably no worse, though that remains to be seen since you seem to want to restrict the ability of those who think other than you to post those feelings in public, than anyone else here.

You should try to remember that.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i am in no way riding the high horse.just upset with wat some are saying.its disrespectful and pointless.its one thing to say she made a mistake and try to prevent this from happening to someone else,not drill into the ground how dumb,stupid and moronic she is.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Butters420 View Post
    i am in no way riding the high horse.just upset with wat some are saying.its disrespectful and pointless.its one thing to say she made a mistake and try to prevent this from happening to someone else,not drill into the ground how dumb,stupid and moronic she is.
    Your opinion and you're entitled to it.

But I'd be willing to bet you do not soon forget this thread and what was said in it, both positive and negative.

Ever wonder if that was the point, the not forgetting, of any of the posters?
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast