Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,848

0 members and 2,848 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,138
Threads: 248,586
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, BertsMum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: keeping dad from being lonely

Not really, my last litter i had, the mother was in with the pups and one of her older doughters and she was kinda helping take care of the pups it was pretty cool.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    I would just leave them together he wont hurt the babies.I leave my groups together all the time and the babies never get ate.
    I'm glad you have never had any trouble with your males not messing with the babies. Unfortunately, I have on 2 occasions had horrible males and it was a bloody mess. Needless to say those males were giving up as feeders.

You really won't know how the father is going to act until you try it.
    Laurie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by photoman100169 View Post
    yeah I would just leave them in with him but I don't want them to get pregnant again right away, for one I don't want the added stress on the girls and two, I don't want to have TOO many babys. I'm just trying to get a good supply of feeders so I don't have to run to the pet store so much...maybe I can sell off the extras

It's a bit sad...but I would suggest freezing any extras (unless your reps don't take frozen). You might have a hard time selling off extras, usually big places like PetCo, PetSmart, PetLand breed there own or have large scale breeders they get there rats and mice from.
    Smaller petshops usually just breed there own.

You COULD try Craigslist.com if you'd rather try to sell rather than freeze.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MonitorLove View Post
    It's a bit sad...but I would suggest freezing any extras (unless your reps don't take frozen). You might have a hard time selling off extras, usually big places like PetCo, PetSmart, PetLand breed there own or have large scale breeders they get there rats and mice from.
    Smaller petshops usually just breed there own.

You COULD try Craigslist.com if you'd rather try to sell rather than freeze.
    oh yeah I def plan on freezing...I just don't want to get beyond what I need for a couple months and just wasting them...I am going to try craigslist

Thanks

oh yeah I def plan on freezing...I just don't want to get beyond what I need for a couple months and just wasting them...I am going to try craigslist
    How many reps are you feeding? I was strapped for feeders all the time with just one breeder that was almost constantly pregnant and birthed a consistent litters of 12. I fed two corns, a Savannah, and a ball python once a week.

Just to avoid any confusion: The monitor was fed daily, and got a rat once a week.
    Someone keeps trying to access my accounts. Who are you? Just e-mail me, as that's clearly how you're finding me. Quit messing around.

Thanks

How many reps are you feeding? I was strapped for feeders all the time with just one breeder that was almost constantly pregnant and birthed a consistent litters of 12. I fed two corns, a Savannah, and a ball python once a week.

Just to avoid any confusion: The monitor was fed daily, and got a rat once a week.
    right this minute I only have one...I know I know, I shouldn't start with feeders till I have more, but I am in the process of getting more...I just have a control thing I guess...lol...I like to know what my snake is eating and everytime I go in to the pet store to get feeders I always find something wrong (over crowding, no food, no water) I'm sure you know how that goes

Thanks

right this minute I only have one...I know I know, I shouldn't start with feeders till I have more, but I am in the process of getting more...I just have a control thing I guess...lol...I like to know what my snake is eating and everytime I go in to the pet store to get feeders I always find something wrong (over crowding, no food, no water) I'm sure you know how that goes
    I would have started with feeders the second I got my first snake, but to be honest, at the time, I didn't even think of it.
    It's just simply so much more cheaper, efficient, and healthier to breed your own then to go to a pet shop. The initial buy is rather pricey, since you have to get a cage, water bottle, bedding, food, etc. But after that they pretty much pay for themselves.

I feed Ol' Roy Lamb and Rice Meal dog food to all my rats and have had better results then feeding rat food or lab blocks. My females gain back weight a lot faster, my weaned pups are nice and fat, and they all love it.
    Another plus is that I can also feed my dog and my cat off it
    Someone keeps trying to access my accounts. Who are you? Just e-mail me, as that's clearly how you're finding me. Quit messing around.

Thanks

I would have started with feeders the second I got my first snake, but to be honest, at the time, I didn't even think of it.
    It's just simply so much more cheaper, efficient, and healthier to breed your own then to go to a pet shop. The initial buy is rather pricey, since you have to get a cage, water bottle, bedding, food, etc. But after that they pretty much pay for themselves.

I feed Ol' Roy Lamb and Rice Meal dog food to all my rats and have had better results then feeding rat food or lab blocks. My females gain back weight a lot faster, my weaned pups are nice and fat, and they all love it.
    Another plus is that I can also feed my dog and my cat off it
    yeah luckily I had I couple old cages and tanks in a spare room, so I didn't have to buy that stuff, I am feeding a high protien dog for right now, but I just food a feed store near me that sells lab blocks so I am going to get a bag of that and try it out and see what it does for me..

ok here is another question for you guys, do any of you keep records of your rats and litters, and if so what kind of info do you keep..I was thinking of keeping track of when the litter was born, how many was in the litter and the ratio of males to females...yeah I know probably over kill but it keeps me entertained...lol

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

I keep the males in with 2 or 3 females all the time--I've never had a male mess with the babies, or had more than the rare occasional loss of a newborn from trampling--but the moms are as likely to do that as the dad is. I seldom find babies dead or missing--it's no more common than stillbirths. All of the moms will cooperate to take care of the babies.

If you do wind up with a male that kills babies--well, he's food. <lol> If you wind up with a female that does so--same thing.

It DOES mean the females are re-bred immediately. Some prefer to give the female a rest between litters.

If you aren't keeping the male in a bin, you might consider getting him a wheel--if you hunt around, you can find rat-sized wire running wheels.

It's important to remember that, while rats are more easy-going than mice, they still form established 'families'. A group that has been together since adolescence will not take kindly to outsiders--you can't just add another female if you have to remove one. The other females WILL kill her.
    You shouldn't add a new male to a group with pregnant females, either--they may kill HIM--and if they don't, he may kill the new pups to ensure that any pups being raised are his. That's just instinct.

I always try to set up breeding groups with hopper mice and rats, and raise them together. I've found that trying to introduce them later results in a lot of bloodshed, and horrible things. (I had a group of 5 female mice set up with a male--the male turned out to be sterile, so I removed him, and a day later I introduced a young male mouse. They castrated him...) >.<

I just found a great program for keeping track of my feeder rats. It's called Kin Traks. Got it from www.kintraks.com
    It's very easy to set up for rats, and now I know when to wean each litter, and when to expect new pups.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12