Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,253

1 members and 3,252 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,132
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
    Registered User chinchillachic18's Avatar
    Thanks

Rubbing and humidity

Natsumi is shedding, and she keeps rubbing the side of her face on the glass and sort of the bedding. I read that rubbing is a sign of mites but i dont see any on her or anywhere in the cage ive heard that rubbing during shedding has something to do with humidity..does that mean that the humidity isnt high enough? Im having alot of trouble with the humidity right now for some reason ive never had a humidity problem before so how do you maintain the right humidity? I know i know i use heat lamps and that sucks out the humidity or whatever but thats all i have at the moment. I covered the top with foil and i keep misting but it doesnt last very long

what do i do?
    Reptile lover

Love is much like a wild serpent, beautiful and calm, but willing to draw blood in its defense

Thanks

Re: Rubbing and humidity

How far along is the shed? Is she shedding right now as we speak? Or just going through the early shedding stages? Sounds like she is just starting the process of getting the skin off. If she had mites, she would be spending a lot of time in the waterdish, and there would be a deposit of tiny black dots in the bottom of the dish.
    Doesn't sound serious to me.
    Brandon

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i would say damp moss or paper towels in her hide to help keep it up. i have also known people to wet towels or large rags to use also. my humidity is right and my heat and everything but mine will do it alot also. i think its more of trying to catch the shaed on something to help them pull it off better but im not sure. maybe someone with more expertise with balls could help out. all my snakes a carpet pythons.

Thanks

yah she is shedding pieces right this very second. I misted the sides of the tank alittle more and shes rubbing against the wet sides now and i think its helping her get off some extra skin...even though she has a GIANT water dish..she would rather just rub on the wet tank walls
    Reptile lover

Love is much like a wild serpent, beautiful and calm, but willing to draw blood in its defense

Thanks

What type of substrate are you using. Substrates such as aspen help hold humidity in. You could also make a humid hide. When it is shedding time for my BP I add a humid hide filled with damp Sphagnum moss. By watching the humidity levels and using a humid hide, I have not had a bad shed with my BP. When snakes shed they rub against somthing to help start the shed. Are you using a hydrometer to monitor the humidity?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

also if she wont get in her water bowl and if u cant get the humidity right at the moment u can always take a squirt bottle of some sort and mist water onto her directly. just make sure its not a house hold chemical bottle. you can pick some nice ones up at the dollar store like i did =) lol.

Thanks

I use aspen and i have a hydrometer. Im gonna try and use a wet paper towel or a regular towel and see if that works well enough....thats ok right? to use a paper towel or a regular towel?
    Reptile lover

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chinchillachic18 View Post
    I use aspen and i have a hydrometer. Im gonna try and use a wet paper towel or a regular towel and see if that works well enough....thats ok right? to use a paper towel or a regular towel?
    If your ball is having a bad shed, then I suggest placing him / her in a plastic container of warm water. The water should not be deeper than half way up the balls side. Place the lid on the container, and place the container on top of the hot spot. Remove the snake after 30 minutes, and the shed should wipe off easily.

Hope this helps.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

In order to start the shedding process they rub their nose against something until the skin starts to come off. its totally normal.
    My Collection: 3.2 Mojave, 4.9.3 Normal, 1.0 Het Pied, 0.8 Pos. Het Pied

Thanks

Are you able to maintain proper humidity levels with the aspen? What is your humidity. Towels might help. I have found using a humid hide with sphagnum to work every time for me.