Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,163

1 members and 3,162 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai

Thread: habitat size?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

habitat size?

I'm looking into crested geckos, and am wondering how much room I should be providing for crested geckos.

I have a critter keepter approx 12''x8''x8'' lxwxh, and I've also been looking at exo terra cages since they seem to be pretty popular for keeping cresties.

I'd like to get adults(1.1 or 1.2 ideally), and if I could find them I would put them in an 18'' high exo terra I think. However for now the only cresties I can find are young, all under a year old and most only 8-10 weeks old. Would it be better to house two to three young cresties in the critter keeper for now and move them into a bigger cage as they grow, or go ahead and just put them in an exo terra? The only real issue I've read about with tank size is them finding food, and I don't want younglings to starve, but I also want to provide them with adequate space. The exo terra would give them TONS more height, which I know they might like.

thanks!

Thanks

Re: habitat size?

well i have been reading alot on cresties since i plan on getting one in the next month or so. Im getting my set up and stuff fixed up before bringing one home.

But from what i have read, you can get a 10 gal for 1, 20 gallon for 2 and 30 for three.

I also read somewhere that an 18x18x18 exo terra will provide enough room for 2 adult cresties. And thats what im getting, the cages are awesome, we have one for our python and he loves it.

So if you want to house more then 2, i suggest getting a 18x18x24 or bigger
    http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products..._terrarium.php

there are some bigger ones that is longer as well as with 24 height, that are very nice for larger crested collections

The cresty I plan on getting is going to be a juvenile, female. I plan on getting another one later on and adding to it.

If you feed gecko diet over crickets there food will always be in the same place, no hunting required, so they should always know where it is. Im going to try and avoid feeding crickets unless its a treat because that means less times i have to visit the petstore, when i can just purchase diet over the net and always have it available as well as getting fruits from the store and babyfood as treats as well.

Someone else with more experience may answer this question and correct me.
    Stacey
    1.2 Shih Tzu's (Bert, Lea, Maci)
    1.1.0 Crested Gecko (Sparx, Skylar)

***really badly want an albino, butter and a carmel ball and a creamsicle crested gecko***

Thanks

what would a 12x12x12 exo terra be suitable for? One adult? Two adults? Maybe only a juvenie?

A couple of juveniles/hatchlings?

I'm asking because I found one for a more than decent discount, and I'm thinking of picking it up if it's worth to have one even though it's smaller than the 18'' high ones.

Thanks

i just got mine today 12x12x12.... i would say 1 adult/juvenile, or two hatchlings

i got mine used for 75 bucks got the whole shibang....desert setup, but i switched some stuff around cheaper than I would have bought brand new...

i got two hides, water dish, heat rock, light and light fixture, cactus
    (not using heat rock, light, and cactus) switching to red light when i find a 15 watt...

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/r...edgecko001.jpg
    Last edited by sweetcheeks; 10-22-2008 at 11:53 PM. Reason: added something
    Stacey
    1.2 Shih Tzu's (Bert, Lea, Maci)
    1.1.0 Crested Gecko (Sparx, Skylar)

***really badly want an albino, butter and a carmel ball and a creamsicle crested gecko***

Thanks

Personally I don't think the 12" cubes are enough space for a larger adult. If you are looking to get a pair, a 12 x 12 x 18 is even cramped. I would suggest a minimum of a 18 x 18 x 18 as a suitable size for an adult pair.

Also keep in mind that if you get juvis you will have to seperate the males from the females as they grow to be sure that they don't breed too early.

I would suggest going with a tub set up at first, they are inexpensive and easy to upgrade as the geckos grow. It would also alleviate your concerns about them being too small for their enclosure.
    Last edited by casperca; 10-23-2008 at 08:39 AM.

Thanks

do tubs provide enough height for adults?

Thanks so much for the replies, sounds like the 12'' cube would only be good for a juvie, and hatchlings apparently do quite well in kritter keepers which are fairly affordable, so maybe I'll just let this cage pass.

Thanks

You can find some that do. I'm using a few 27 qt. Sterlites that work nicely. They're taller than any of the Critter Keepers I've seen. I'd check around and see what you can find- I found the 27qts at Walmart. They've got those locking lid things on them.