Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,171

1 members and 2,170 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surprise!

Thanks

Surprise!

Hi everyone,

I need a little help. I've been lurking here for the last few months, learning all that I could about ball pythons in general, preparing for a day in the somewhat distant future when I would actually acquire one. I've always been into reptiles, but never really had an opportunity to own any because the people I lived with weren't thrilled about the idea.

So, I convinced my husband we should start with a corn snake, and set up a nice display tank so I could get my feet wet with the whole snake husbandry thing before jumping into bps. We started checking out Craigslist to look for a nice display tank, and found one that was absolutely perfect, with a nice stand.....and a ball python. So, instead of my starter corn snake, I have a beautiful normal, about 2-3 yrs old, no idea what sex.

We just got the tank/snake at 5pm on Sunday, and were up til midnight getting all the supplies to set him (her?) up properly. The people who had him kept him in a 55-gal tank with an UTH that they only turned on in the winter, one log hide, and a screen lid with nothing to hold in the humidity. In Las Vegas! Anyway, I see some stuck shed on his head, but what worries me are his eyes. They look like cracked glass. Are those retained eyecaps?

We've got him set up in a 31-qt tub, and finally got the heat pad set up tonight. Right now the Accurite's showing 81 on the cool side and 88.2 on the hot side with 58% humidity. We've got the heat pad on a dimmer because the local pet stores that were open last night didn't have any kind of thermostat, and I think it should work for now. While at the store, we mis-remembered his size, and ended up getting a water bowl too big, and hides too small, but we've better hides coming in the mail.

He's taken the move remarkably well, hasn't hissed or struck, or even seemed particularly irritated. His previous owners fed him one live mouse every Thursday, and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and offer one this Thursday. Is that too soon? And it seems like he should be eating more than that when looking at his girth. This all caught me a little unprepared. Please take a look at my setup, and see if I can improve anything. I think I just need moral support, lol.

Anyway, here's the pics:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Surprise!

Just curious, what bedding is he on? Aspen is good, but that almost looks like pine, which is bad. Can't really see the eyes to see if there is a problem, snake looks good for the most part. I think that if you can get a picture of the vent area, these peeps can sex your snake. Congrats on the new pet. The suggested size prey is equal to the snake's widest girth. I think that a mouse may be too small.

Thanks

I agree about the bedding. Also, I would think about switching him onto some sort of paper substrate. When he eats, it is possible that he may get a mouth full of bedding along with his meal, and you really don't want him swallowing that. If you'd like to give a little bit of bedding to him in his hides, and maybe a little bit in the corners to help with humidity, then that would work. But if you have it all over then the chances are much greater that he could swallow it.

The eyes looking they way they do could be stuck eyecaps, or it could just be lack of humidity. Sometimes they look like stuck eyecaps when the humidity is too low, and after a little while of proper humidity they go back to normal. Either way, don't mess with them, and the problem should fix itself by his next shed. If it doesn't, then you may want to consult a vet to see if it's worth going in for.

I noticed he had several scales missing on his neck. I wonder if that was the fault of the owner. Poor guy. It never ceases to amaze me how stupid people can be when it comes to animals.

Are you keeping him in the tub just for now, or are you planning on getting a corn for in the 55 gal? There's really no reason you couldn't put him in the 55 gallon, but it would take more work on your part to make sure the temps and humidity are correct. As long as you have it loaded with stuff (and I really mean PACKED) it shouldn't be an issue. However, if you decide to do this, I would start him in the tub for a month or two. Just to make sure he's healthy and eating.

And I agree that one mouse might be too little prey for him. You could try feeding him two mice, or one rat pup/crawler. You'd have to judge the size since that's difficult to do from the photo. Just don't feed him TOO much. You don't want to shock his digestive system as well as his body with the big move.

Thanks

Thanks for the input. The bedding is aspen, so no worries there.

Are you keeping him in the tub just for now, or are you planning on getting a corn for in the 55 gal?
    We'll still be getting a corn for the display tank; I don't want to stress the bp out by being on display, and--quite frankly--the corns have a little more pizazz when it comes to color and such. A lot of people seem to have luck with the tubs, and since our ambiant humidity here in Vegas doesn't get much above 20%, I don't want to have to battle with that.

I'm still trying to gauge how comfortable he is in the tub. He's been curled up in a corner on the cool side of this tank. I know his hides are too small, but I was thinking he'd spend some time on the warm side.

I know this isn't normally recommended, but the people who had him before would feed him in a bathtub, then move him back to his tank. I'd kinda like to offer him a mouse on Thursday, and I thought it might be less stressful to continue the routine he's familiar with, at least until he's well settled in. Any thoughts? And if that's ok, how long should I leave him in the bathtub after the mouse is "down the hatch" before moving him back?

I'd like to eventually get him over to F/T rats, but that's a lot of change, so I know it won't happen any time soon. I think I'll just try him with one mouse this week, and then maybe move up to two if he'll take them. Does that sound like a good idea?

Thanks for the help! I'm still feeling a little overwhelmed, but this message board being here really helps.

-Heather

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

It looks like we a difference in opinion because I frankly don't like the way corns look. I prefer the ball python

Anyway, it looks like you know what you're doing, but you are right, one mouse a week looks way too small for him/her. Also I like to feed in the cage because I feel like that's the better way to go, but that has been debated a lot on this forum and other forums. As for him not going in his hide, have you been handling him a lot? It takes balls generally about a week before they feel settled in, and it is advised that you leave them alone for this time. I would skip the feeding this week and maybe try feeding him early next week or so. That's just my $0.02.

This forum is a big help, I'm new to bp's as well and I've learned so much from this site.
    Last edited by Smith285; 10-22-2008 at 05:26 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissMowgli View Post
    Thanks for the input. The bedding is aspen, so no worries there.

We'll still be getting a corn for the display tank; I don't want to stress the bp out by being on display, and--quite frankly--the corns have a little more pizazz when it comes to color and such. A lot of people seem to have luck with the tubs, and since our ambiant humidity here in Vegas doesn't get much above 20%, I don't want to have to battle with that.

I'm still trying to gauge how comfortable he is in the tub. He's been curled up in a corner on the cool side of this tank. I know his hides are too small, but I was thinking he'd spend some time on the warm side.

I know this isn't normally recommended, but the people who had him before would feed him in a bathtub, then move him back to his tank. I'd kinda like to offer him a mouse on Thursday, and I thought it might be less stressful to continue the routine he's familiar with, at least until he's well settled in. Any thoughts? And if that's ok, how long should I leave him in the bathtub after the mouse is "down the hatch" before moving him back?

I'd like to eventually get him over to F/T rats, but that's a lot of change, so I know it won't happen any time soon. I think I'll just try him with one mouse this week, and then maybe move up to two if he'll take them. Does that sound like a good idea?

Thanks for the help! I'm still feeling a little overwhelmed, but this message board being here really helps.

-Heather
    Right now, get the largest mouse you can get your hands on, and feed him in his cage. I remember the bath tub thing, and the only thing that would do is create a stressful situation. Try feeding him in the cage, and if he doesn't want to eat, leave him for a week and try to feed in a separate tub. Not a bathtub. Bathtubs are probably freezing cold, and huge. They are also pretty uncontrolled, and they could slip by you if your not looking.

The mouse could also jump out.

Those do look like eye caps from what I can see. Give him a room-temp warm soak for about 20-60 minutes and use a damp wash cloth on his eyes and see if they come off. If not, make sure your humidity is in check and it should come off in the next shed. But try to soak him a couple times before giving up.

Those hides don't look too too small. Did you try guiding him into the hide? He might be able to fit in it all the way. :]

Thanks

He looks like a reduce pattern. And you can pick up large dog bowls, or small cat litter pans to use as hides. They work wonders.

Congrats. I have a king snake and a rat snake as display animals.

Carol

Thanks

Nice!! I love the reduced pattern.

as for the hides, they like to be in tight places,, i am sure he/she will love them.
    My Collection: 3.2 Mojave, 4.9.3 Normal, 1.0 Het Pied, 0.8 Pos. Het Pied

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

The tub should work out well for you. I prefer them for bp's. Are you gonna try to switch to f/t mice or rats? I've personally never had problems feeding on aspen (but that's just me) I used to put paper towel down at feeding time and it was cool. You can certainly try feeding whenever you want to. The worst that can happen is he won't eat. If he doesn't eat, wait a week and try again. Sounds like you are off to a great start. Oh, and you would be amazed at how small of a hide they can fit into
    --Walt

Thanks

It looks like we a difference in opinion because I frankly don't like the way corns look. I prefer the ball python
    Yeah, I knew I'd get some blow-back on that, posting on the bp board, lol

I remember the bath tub thing, and the only thing that would do is create a stressful situation. Try feeding him in the cage, and if he doesn't want to eat, leave him for a week and try to feed in a separate tub. Not a bathtub. Bathtubs are probably freezing cold, and huge. They are also pretty uncontrolled, and they could slip by you if your not looking.
    Yeah, I was thinking about all of that earlier today...the only thing going for the bathtub it is that it's what he's used to. I think you're right, though. We're going to try feeding him tomorrow in his tub, and just see what happens.

Those hides don't look too too small. Did you try guiding him into the hide? He might be able to fit in it all the way.
    I came home from work today, and there he was, all squeezed into the warm-side hide, with his adorable little bp head sticking out. He's been there ever since. I really like the hides...they're bed-raisers with holes cut into the side, nice, heavy, and easy to clean, so I think they'll stay. The hides we ordered to replace them are pretty rock-shaped ones, so they might go into the display tank.

I can't wait until he's all settled in and ready to be handled. I've been leaving him alone except for opening up the tub to change his water and look for poo, but I'm already pretty smitten with him. I really like his pattern, and blushing on his back. I'm half-hoping "he" is a female, but the people got him from a Petland, so I think it's more likely a male.

Thanks everyone! You all rock! This is exciting, and we're looking at getting an okeetee cornsnake within the next month or so, so I'm speeding from zero to two snakes in under a month. This could be dangerously addicting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast