Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,168

0 members and 3,168 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Help ASAP Please.

I am going nuts here, I have tried so many different ways to defrost the medium sized rats ive been getting, and they are all splitting open and spewing their insides everywhere, what do I do about this? I really need to feed my BP tonight, is there anway I can do a quick defrost of a rat?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Help ASAP Please.

fill ur sink full of hot water and let them thaw lol do not put them in a microwave. put then in a bag or ziplock baggie in hot water to thaw.

Thanks

OK thanks alot, now for the record, I have tried defrosting rats form forzen state, leaving them in the fridge overnight, then defrosting, I have tired putting htem in warm water, leaving them under the heat lamp. And they keep splitting open, how long should I be defrosting my rats for, and when are they perfect temperature for feeding?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ride_gnu View Post
    OK thanks alot, now for the record, I have tried defrosting rats form forzen state, leaving them in the fridge overnight, then defrosting, I have tired putting htem in warm water, leaving them under the heat lamp. And they keep splitting open, how long should I be defrosting my rats for, and when are they perfect temperature for feeding?
    Theres a couple things you can try here.

First, you could defrost for 20-30 minutes in a plastic baggy under hot running/still water (refresh the warm water every couple minutes) which should avoid any liquid from entering and expanding the body.
    Or, you could just leave it out on a counter in your bathroom or kitchen (I know, kinda gross) for half a day or more. Depending on how long it takes to defrost. To warm it from a naturally defrosted state, use a blow dryer to quickly warm it up. Make sure there are no cold spots or frozen spots in the rat somewhere.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

i have yet to switch my BP to f/t, but when I would feed my corn snake f/t i'd just toss a frozen rodent into a cup of warm water for like 10 minutes, never had any split open..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    i have yet to switch my BP to f/t, but when I would feed my corn snake f/t i'd just toss a frozen rodent into a cup of warm water for like 10 minutes, never had any split open..
    Rats are different than mice with f/t, as well as it depends on how old it is and where she got it from.
    ;]

Thanks

Well I thawed the rat in the hottest tap water that I could get for about 22 minutes, replacing the water twice. I had no problem with splitting this time, but I am still having a problem with my snake finding the head of the rat, I read that this could be because the head is too cold, I tried heating the head up more than the rest of the body but he still took 15+ minutes to find the head after trying to eat it from the tail. Any ideas why this is?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ride_gnu View Post
    Well I thawed the rat in the hottest tap water that I could get for about 22 minutes, replacing the water twice. I had no problem with splitting this time, but I am still having a problem with my snake finding the head of the rat, I read that this could be because the head is too cold, I tried heating the head up more than the rest of the body but he still took 15+ minutes to find the head after trying to eat it from the tail. Any ideas why this is?
    This is normal when feeding frozen sometimes it takes them a while, if it takes really long for them to find the head they may leave the rat uneaten, then I use my hair dryer to heat the rat's head a bit and I offer it again. Also to avoid this, try sticking the rats head in the snakes face so it can get a good direct byte.

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Some of my ball pythons take 1/2 hour to find the head of a rodent they killed themselves (I have a few stubborn live eaters). I wouldn't worry about it, it's pretty normal. No one said they were the brightest crayons in the box. <lol>
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

I wouldn't worry so much HOW they get the food down, as long as it goes down.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast