Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,192

0 members and 3,192 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: Bp body temp

Registered User Abby_The_Python's Avatar
    Thanks

Bp body temp

What is the HIGHEST temperature that a probe will read if my bp is curled up directly on top of it?

Herpstat II is the thermostat I use & there are uths on each side of a 40 gal, paper-toweling & reptile bark is my substrate. Probe is located under each hide on top of the substrate & under the bp in this case.

p.s. Cold is set at 84/Hot is set at 94 but sometimes it reads ridiculously high & that is why I am posting this question, Thank You
    0.3 Normals

i Love normals!

Thanks

Re: Bp body temp

Quote Originally Posted by Abby_The_Python View Post
    What is the HIGHEST temperature that a probe will read if my bp is curled up directly on top of it?

Herpstat II is the thermostat I use & there are uths on each side of a 40 gal, paper-toweling & reptile bark is my substrate. Probe is located under each hide on top of the substrate & under the bp in this case.

p.s. Cold is set at 84/Hot is set at 94 but sometimes it reads ridiculously high & that is why I am posting this question, Thank You
    94 is a lil high? dont you think?
    0.1.0 Colombian Red Tail Boa "Shiva"
    1.1.0 Ball Python "Kaia"&"Joker"
    0.1.0 Corn Snake "Valentine"
    0.0.1 Jungle Carpet Python "Malakai"
    1.0.0 Albino Nelson's Milksnake "Ripley"
    0.1.0 Sumatran Blood Python "Shakira"
    0.0.2 Bearded Dragon "Draco"&"Sandy"
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko "Fred"

~~Picture are available upon request~~

Thanks

Re: Bp body temp

How high is "ridiculously high"?

If this is a new setup your environment will take a while to adjust and regulate. Probe placement is always the key though and in some locations there is not a easy "perfect" spot. If your hides are directly above the heating source then you will probably get more fluxuation in the temp readouts on the Herpstat since the probe is so close to the heating device. Since the heat takes some time to get through the glass, then substrate, and then to the probe you'll see a see-saw effect initially with any thermostat as they overshoot and undershoot until things get regulated. If it were my setup (and assuming the hides are over the uth) I would put the probe outside the hide (your hide is probably also trapping heat and adding to the mixup) and then get a cheap digitial thermometer with a probe and put its probe inside the hide. Then adjust the thermostat accordingly to achieve what temps you want to see inside the hide. Setups always take a little experimentation.

Hope that helps!
    Dion Brewington
    Owner, Spyder Robotics