Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,335

0 members and 3,335 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Medical question

Quote Originally Posted by whytepizza View Post
    It is up to the vent, yes. And yes, she is a Western (i'm sorry for the confusion on that). Well, as for substrate she was on Crushed Walnut shell, now she is on carpet. I've used Walnut shell for years and never had a problem, but i switched to stay safe and there is a first time for everything, i suppose.
    As for eurates, i've seen a few. First when she was on walnut shell, some nice white blotches being soaked up. As for poops, she hasn't really pooped, but none of my hogs really poop alot, and if they do they busy it quickly. she has pooped a few times in her water dish (only reason i know this is because it makes the whole room smell like dead rat and the water turnes a nice greenish color.). But, yes, she is bloated up to her vent. It looks like she had just laid eggs. Not alot of bloating, but it's noticable to me and only my 3 females bloat at all.
    I will definintely soak her. Will giving her a little olive oil on her food to help flush things out be a bad idea?
    Thanks so much for the help so far, guys!
    Hmm, I don't know the liver properties of a snake to know if that could be healthy, useless, or dangerous to the snake. I'd say wait and see if anyone can chime in with a true answer before you do that.
    Give her a few soaks, if her waste is looking green, that might mean a vet appointment is due. She could also have parasites from the newt. (seems likely that a water dwelling animal would transfer more nasties easily)

Soak her and see if the bloating goes down. Good luck!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    Hmm, I don't know the liver properties of a snake to know if that could be healthy, useless, or dangerous to the snake. I'd say wait and see if anyone can chime in with a true answer before you do that.
    Give her a few soaks, if her waste is looking green, that might mean a vet appointment is due. She could also have parasites from the newt. (seems likely that a water dwelling animal would transfer more nasties easily)

Soak her and see if the bloating goes down. Good luck!
    I think i'll take her to the vet anyway. I never thought of the parasite thing. I know nearly any sickness a rat or mouse has is not transfered to a snake, but my newts were WC and i don't want my little hoggie to get sick!
    The one thing i sm curious about, though, is that she has been eating alot, hasn't had the bloating get bigger, and hasn't regurged anything. I wonder if it may just be normal? I only notice it because it's different than my male westerns.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whytepizza View Post
    I think i'll take her to the vet anyway. I never thought of the parasite thing. I know nearly any sickness a rat or mouse has is not transfered to a snake, but my newts were WC and i don't want my little hoggie to get sick!
    The one thing i sm curious about, though, is that she has been eating alot, hasn't had the bloating get bigger, and hasn't regurged anything. I wonder if it may just be normal? I only notice it because it's different than my male westerns.
    That probably is a sign of parasites. Take her to get a fecal done.

You might want to think about feeding in the enclosure to avoid this from happening again. :]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    That probably is a sign of parasites. Take her to get a fecal done.

You might want to think about feeding in the enclosure to avoid this from happening again. :]
    Ironic that i finally decided to ask and post today. I just got home from work and my reptile room smelled. I looked over and she had defecated, not alot but it was still something. Black in color, white eurates not too far away. Figures. She isn't quite as bloated but her belly still seems a little 'soft' down near her vent.
    Anyway, i'll take her to the vet to double check regardless, still seems like there is a parasite possibility.
    As for the enclosure, since then i had changed cages and this one allows me the ability permanently segregate a section which i use specifically for feeding, unless she looses the prey then it's in a sprinkles container until they annoy her.
    Subsequently, the newts are looong gone. My daughter decided that leaving them with a babu snapping turtle would be a good idea. She poured all her newts in there with him because he 'needed company.' Well, the turtle is fat now.
    Thanks Jess, Littleindiangirl, and floridahogs for all the help! I'll keep youy guys updated on what the vet says.

Thanks

Unfortunately, there are two things about WHSs that I don't know: breeding and health issues. It still looks like you got a lot of good answers though. I hope she gets better soon.
    -Ryan Hardwikk (aka Member #6667)

My snakes:
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa ~Nephthys~ (aka "Linky")

In a better place:
    1.0 Pastel Western Hognose ~Charon~ 10/3/07-4/24/09

If you need/want to know anything about Hognose snakes, just ask me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Onua Nuva View Post
    Unfortunately, there are two things about WHSs that I don't know: breeding and health issues. It still looks like you got a lot of good answers though. I hope she gets better soon.
    Thanks very much!
    If you have breeding questions always more than happy to answer any that i can for you!
    I think she'll be fine now that she finally 'went' and i can take a look at her when she feels normal. But, regardless, best to check with a vet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12