Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,252

0 members and 3,252 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: Humid Hide

Thanks

Humid Hide

Ok, For some reason I was doing well with humidity levels (~50%) and then all of a sudden they went downhill (~35%) Ive been misting, havea large water dish and have sealed off about 2/3 of the screen lid. In order to keep temps high enough I have to use a CHE and I realize that this is part of the problem (ambient humidity is in the 20's), Im working on correcting the problem, but for the short term, Im trying to ensure the health of my BP.

I bought a humid hide for him, its the cave that is designed to hold substrate. Well I filled it with teh compressed coconut husk and it is staying fairly moist. I fed yesterday and that is where he went after the feeding (first time in the new hide. He has 3, cool/hot/humid)

My concern is that he is laying directly on a very moist substrate and I dont want him to develop scale rot. Should I cycle the hide in and out every few days to allow him to "dry out" so to speak or should everything be ok?

He is not in shed at this point.

Temps are ~90 on the hot side and 79 on the cool side.

Thanks

Re: Humid Hide

I wouldn't want my BP to be laying on a moist substrate at any time, but that is just my personal preference. There have been a few other threads recently regarding humidity and humid hides. I posted how I use a wet sponge cut to fit in a deli cup to keep my enclosure humidity up. This way the humidity device isn't ever in contact with the snake and much less chance of causing any problems. Also, the sponge can be cleaned and reused rather than having to replace the moisture wicking substrate.

Thanks

Re: Humid Hide

As long as the substrate is "moist" and not "wet" he should be fine. Also, try putting the large surface area water bowl directly under the CHE. Also, cover that towel over the top (you can probably cover all of it, as it's not air tight and will still allow air to move) and moisten it down everyday.

JonV