Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,225

1 members and 3,224 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Flex Watt is here, more questions!

Ok, so I've tried researching the information myself and reading through threads, but I've got a couple questions.

I was under the impression that the flex watt was to be cut in 1 foot sections. I got my flex watt and it's different than I was expecting. It looks to me that I could cut it any length I wanted as long as I cut between the heat strips. Please tell me I'm right! I plan to cut in in two pieces as I have two 3 foot shelves.

My second question, if I want two stripes I will need to do some parallel connecting. If I do that I won't be able to use the metal connectors right? I would rather do that than any soldering. Could I connect the first and second shelf on the left side of the rack with the metal connectors and then connect the plug in to the bottom shelf on the right side then plug that into my thermostat?

I'm sure that was way confusing, maybe this will help??

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (rack)
    . . . .connect top=============
    and bottom shelf ============= connect shelf to plug

Can I do that?

Oh and a third question The pamphlet that came with the flex watt says that some people cover the flex watt with things like duct tape. Do I need to cover the flex watt with anything or do I put the tubs directly on the tape?

The flex watt is 3", 10 watts per foot, and in a 6 foot section. My thermostat can handle 500 watts, so I should be good

Thanks

Re: Flex Watt is here, more questions!

ive never used it but the shorter it is ,the hotter that peice gets
    and anything under 11" can be cut under a foot, 11" needs to stay over a foot so 3" ( maybe ) can be cut under a foot but will get hotter than a longer peice (maybe)
    or it will just burn up unless hooked up to a stat ,again ive never used it but read about it so these are my impressions from what ive read but hope to use it maybe after this weekends reptile show

if im wrong dont flame me lol just tell me im wrong
    Ive Killed More Rats than D-Con!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Sorry for my lack of knowledge in anything that has to do with being handy! It is in one foot sections, they just didn't cut it properly when they cut it and sent it! Now I only have 5 feet! Those jerks! They'll be getting an email! Thought Bean Farm was a good place to buy from?!

Pictures of the backside

How they cut it

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rishnack View Post
    ive never used it but the shorter it is ,the hotter that peice gets
    and anything under 11" can be cut under a foot, 11" needs to stay over a foot so 3" ( maybe ) can be cut under a foot but will get hotter than a longer peice (maybe)
    or it will just burn up unless hooked up to a stat ,again ive never used it but read about it so these are my impressions from what ive read but hope to use it maybe after this weekends reptile show

if im wrong dont flame me lol just tell me im wrong
    I hope you're right or I'm going to be really PO'd with Bean Farm!

Oh and thanks for the info!

Thanks

with the 3 & 4" flex you can cut it to the length you need as long as you dont cut thru the lengthwise part of the heating element , cut thru the clear lengthwise spots. (like beanbarm did on your flex)

But the 11" flex needs to be cut on the line tho, as you wouldn't want to cut thru 11" of the heating element.

does this make sense? lol i could do a visual if I didn't explain it clear enough.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to filly77 For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (10-15-2008)

Thanks

reptile basics has a great faq section on the stuff read thatbefore you cut it
    everyone luvs the stuff i just know you have to use a stat or risk the stuff burnin up, 5' is a lot of flexxwatt are you heating tubs or glass?
    well either way the stuff,s fairly bullet proof if used properly and crimpin the connecters is fairly simple i would not solder them at all
    and nice nails btw

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rishnack For This Useful Post:

Thanks

sorry i always answer before i read everything
    aluminum tape is what they use not duct tape you can pick up a roll at any hardware store or even auto parts stores carry it some times

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by filly77 View Post
    with the 3 & 4" flex you can cut it to the length you need as long as you dont cut thru the lengthwise part of the heating element , cut thru the clear lengthwise spots. (like beanbarm did on your flex)

But the 11" flex needs to be cut on the line tho, as you wouldn't want to cut thru 11" of the heating element.

does this make sense? lol i could do a visual if I didn't explain it clear enough.
    Oh thank goodness!!!! That makes me feel much better! Thanks for all the info, I understood it all!

Quote Originally Posted by rishnack View Post
    reptile basics has a great faq section on the stuff read thatbefore you cut it
    everyone luvs the stuff i just know you have to use a stat or risk the stuff burnin up, 5' is a lot of flexxwatt are you heating tubs or glass?
    well either way the stuff,s fairly bullet proof if used properly and crimpin the connecters is fairly simple i would not solder them at all
    and nice nails btw
    Maybe I'll have to check that out. I'm cutting it into two sections for my rack. It only has two shelves for now. Can I crimp two wires with one crimp? As in for my parallel wiring?

And thanks for the comment about the nails! That just made my day! I've bit my nails since I was super young and I FINALLY quit biting them for the first time in my life in January of this year! I'm 21 years old, so it's kind of sad it took me that long to do it! But I've been "clean" since January!

My snake room and rack are a work in progress But you get the idea!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    It only has two shelves for now. Can I crimp two wires with one crimp? As in for my parallel wiring?
    I'm not sure? i soldered mine and wired them individually, so if Im not using one or more of the shelves it doesn't have to be plugged in and waste electricity. hopefully someone else will chime in.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Isis,

Just like someone else previously said, with the 3" and 4", you can cut it anywhere you like AS LONG AS YOU STAY OUT OF THE HEATING ELEMENT. So you can pretty much cut whatever inch long length you'd like. I pretty much did the exact same thing you're working on, and it's totally OK to parallel wire using just the metal connectors.

Stick your extension plug into the correct metal connectors. Don't crimp it yet though. Then just get some 16gauge wiring and cut your two identical pieces that will connect your first piece of flexwatt to your second piece (Make sure you strip both ends of that extension piece). Stick the extension wiring into the same connectors that the power plug is being plugged into. NOW, you can crimp it with the power plug and wire extensions together. Then you just simply crimp the extension piece to the second flexwatt. I hope that makes sense. I read it over a couple times and those are the most clear directions I could come up with...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitch21 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast