Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,186

0 members and 3,186 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Room issues, need advice from experts!

Ok, so i have two small BP's, maybe 1-1 1/2 ft long. They are great. I need to change their cage, they are both in a 20l together, which is fine for now...
    I have a custom reptile cage which is shorter and narrower but MUCH longer. I think it's maybe 1'x1'x4'6". I would love to move them into it, concidering it's an aluminum with tempered glass and magnetic lids, very breathable, and easy to clean, but about the same weight as a glass 'fish tank'.
    I was wondering a few things:
    1) would they need much height or would it be fine if it's only 1' tall?
    2) can i temporarily beep them enclosed with my red tail.
    3)What kind of substrate do you guys reccoment which is aethetic as well as usable?

Thanks

Re: Room issues, need advice from experts!

1 foot tall is fine.
    Keep them with your Bci?? That is a seriously bad idea.
    Aspen is commonly used as a substrate that's good for the snakes and looks good to the keeper.

Will you be dividing this larger cage? It would be a good idea.....

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whytepizza View Post
    Ok, so i have two small BP's, maybe 1-1 1/2 ft long. They are great. I need to change their cage, they are both in a 20l together, which is fine for now...
    I have a custom reptile cage which is shorter and narrower but MUCH longer. I think it's maybe 1'x1'x4'6". I would love to move them into it, concidering it's an aluminum with tempered glass and magnetic lids, very breathable, and easy to clean, but about the same weight as a glass 'fish tank'.
    I was wondering a few things:
    1) would they need much height or would it be fine if it's only 1' tall?
    2) can i temporarily beep them enclosed with my red tail.
    3)What kind of substrate do you guys reccoment which is aethetic as well as usable?
    Uh, well.. lets see..
    First of all, your ball pythons should be in separate cages. There is no good reason to keep them together. A 20g Long is a perfect cage for an adult bp. One of them could stay in it easily, while the other could move to another 15-20g cage. If your heart is set on the larger cage, you would definitely need to divide it. Maybe even into 3 parts. That cage is wayy to large for a ball python of any age, but is perfect for an adult red tail.

It is a verry bad idea to house the ball pythons with a BCI. It's bad enough to have them together.
    A nice looking substrate is aspen, and is usable. You could also use paper towels, newspaper, or repti-bark.
    Stay away from pine, cedar and sand.

Ball pythons do not need height. They are not arboreal like boas are, so they can be fine in a 5-6in tub which is what most rack systems have them in. Tall climbing branches are also a bad idea because they are clumsy climbers and could easily fall and hurt themselves. Give them hides on the ground and some low branches (ground laying ones) and they will be happy.

Good luck!

Thanks

You know, i was thinking of dividing the cage. It has slots to divide it into 1, 2, or 3 sections. I wouldn't keep my BCI in this new cage, he has a 30 gallon which is much better suited until he reaches a nice size. I was just wondering if i needed to put my BP's in the 30g for a short time if that'd be alright, but i know there is that virus in the feces that is fatal to BP's but not to BCI or BCC.
    If i divide the new cage up the smallest section will be too small (slightly smaller than a 10g), two sections would be about the length on my 20g, and the three sections together would be very nice for length. I know they like to climb so i wanted to make sure a shorter cage is alright.
    Do you think divinding the cage until they grow a little more is a good idea? They're still very small.
    Just to give you an idea of the size of the cage; this is the same exact cage that Petsmart uses for their snakes. It just isn't in that big giant display. I bought them from a petstore who bought them from a machinist a few years ago. There are two sizes, one tall, and one short. The tall one is only 6" higher but i'm using two of those for my hognoses who all think they're aboreal. The shorter ones were for my baby bearded dragons and baby Russian Tortoises, now the cage has been sitting for a few years... Totally worth using some of them, if i can.
    The one reason i want to do this is to maintian humidity. A glass aquaria is a pain in the arse to maintain proper heat and humidity. The other is that they will grow very fast and i want to make sure i have the proper setup, otherwise i have to sell these custom cages and buy something different.
    I've been using carpet for the bedding so far with one end having a bowl with some crushed walnut shell in it. If the cage is hot or cold they lie on the walnut shell because it keeps a good constant temperature. But, it's all very messy and the walnut shell has to be changed frequently to avoid mold not to mention the risk of impactation. The carpet just gets nasty after a while. I will try the aspen bedding, thank you!
    I'll try and get pictures if my camera will work. Sorry, i know i'm being vague without pictures! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

If you use the long cage for them I would definitely divide it up. Just make sure they each have a heat source that they can use and multiple hides. House them apart for sure, and I would not put them with a bci for even a minute. Good luck, and I hope you find a way to make it work.
    --Walt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waltah! View Post
    If you use the long cage for them I would definitely divide it up. Just make sure they each have a heat source that they can use and multiple hides. House them apart for sure, and I would not put them with a bci for even a minute. Good luck, and I hope you find a way to make it work.
    Awesome, thank you!
    How would you suggest diviging it up? I'm limited to the ways it can be divided because it has slats already built in. I can do one large space, one large one small space, or three small spaces...

Thanks

how small is a small space? If it's about 16 inches or so long and 12 inches wide it would be pretty tight unless they are pretty young snakes. If one is quite a bit bigger then give it the larger space. If they are really small then I would go with 2 smaller spaces. Someone else may chime in here with an opinion as well
    --Walt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waltah! View Post
    how small is a small space? If it's about 16 inches or so long and 12 inches wide it would be pretty tight unless they are pretty young snakes. If one is quite a bit bigger then give it the larger space. If they are really small then I would go with 2 smaller spaces. Someone else may chime in here with an opinion as well
    Great! This is the first time using a custom cage and i'm only really knowlegable with 20l. Thank's for the advice! I may have to pull out one of my other custom cages and set that up as well... I know the small space will be too small, it's surface area is less than a 10g and i want the snakes to grow well and not need too many cage changes. It's too expencive to buy tons of cages! lol. Maybe i should just learn to buy supplies and build one on my own eventually!
    Anyway, i will give that a shot for now, anyone is more than welcome to keep offering some suggestions for me.
    These cages also have a plastic currogate bottom so i'll stick with my flexwatt for now.

Thanks

I have one word for you my friend....rack
    --Walt

Thanks

You know, i was thinking of dividing the cage. It has slots to divide it into 1, 2, or 3 sections. I wouldn't keep my BCI in this new cage, he has a 30 gallon which is much better suited until he reaches a nice size. I was just wondering if i needed to put my BP's in the 30g for a short time if that'd be alright, but i know there is that virus in the feces that is fatal to BP's but not to BCI or BCC.
    I don't know what virus you are talking about, but I wouldn't recommend putting them in the same tank at the Boa.

If i divide the new cage up the smallest section will be too small (slightly smaller than a 10g), two sections would be about the length on my 20g, and the three sections together would be very nice for length. I know they like to climb so i wanted to make sure a shorter cage is alright.
    Do you think divinding the cage until they grow a little more is a good idea? They're still very small.
    Ball Python are not arboreal(not climbers) so a lot of height isn't necessary. They sound like they are just babies so a room the size of a 10 gallon should be fine. But you can divide the cage into two sections and that would also be fine. Just make sure they each have two nice fitting hides.

The tall one is only 6" higher but i'm using two of those for my hognoses who all think they're aboreal
    You said you had six hognoses, are you keeping all of them together also?

The other is that they will grow very fast and i want to make sure i have the proper setup, otherwise i have to sell these custom cages and buy something different.
    Ball Pythons can live in a 20l for their whole lives. Some people like to go with a 30g though.
    I've been using carpet for the bedding so far with one end having a bowl with some crushed walnut shell in it. If the cage is hot or cold they lie on the walnut shell because it keeps a good constant temperature.
    What are you using to heat their enclosure and what are you using to measure temps and humidity?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast