Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,529

1 members and 2,528 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot House!!

Thanks

Hot House!!

So I have set up my 30 L tank and am having an issue with the hot side hide. The temperature on my probe in there is reading 100+!!! I can't move my BP over there until I get this fixed.

I have a 30g UTH under it and am not using an overhead light since I moved to the 30 L. The ambient temperature is 82 and the cool side hide never drops below 78. I just am having a problem with the dang sauna hide on the warm side.

What does everyone suggest? Should I move it a little bit off of the UTH? Should I get a tstat? Will a tstat be able to keep the ambient temp up also?

Thanks for your help!

-Mike
    1.0 Normal Ball Python

Go Gators!

Thanks

Re: Hot House!!

Yes, you should have something to control the UTH.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Should I get a tstat?
    A Thermostat is a must with any heating device, not only it will control the temps allowing you to achieve optimum temperatures for your BP, but it will also avoid over-heating which could lead to severe burns.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McGornel View Post
    So I have set up my 30 L tank and am having an issue with the hot side hide. The temperature on my probe in there is reading 100+!!! I can't move my BP over there until I get this fixed.

I have a 30g UTH under it and am not using an overhead light since I moved to the 30 L. The ambient temperature is 82 and the cool side hide never drops below 78. I just am having a problem with the dang sauna hide on the warm side.

What does everyone suggest? Should I move it a little bit off of the UTH? Should I get a tstat? Will a tstat be able to keep the ambient temp up also?

Thanks for your help!

-Mike
    I can't stress this to you enough. With almost any UTH on the market, you NEED a thermostat or a rheostat!
    However, your probably not going to be able to keep the ambient temperatures in a cage that large. Is your ball python big enough for the requirement of that enclosure? If not, I would suggest downsizing, considering it's harder to keep temperatures and humidity the bigger the tank is.

What are you using for substrate? Do you have a lamp, which could aid the ambient temperatures?

Thanks

When I asked, I was told that this enclosure would be sufficient for my BP.

Deb, I am not really rolling in cash right now, is there a cheap (but effective) way to get a T-stat? I have been seeing people saying that rheostats work? Where do you get them?

I'm using Aspen as substrate. I don't want to go back to the lamp because of the humidity it would kill.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python

Go Gators!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McGornel View Post
    When I asked, I was told that this enclosure would be sufficient for my BP.

Deb, I am not really rolling in cash right now, is there a cheap (but effective) way to get a T-stat? I have been seeing people saying that rheostats work? Where do you get them?

I'm using Aspen as substrate. I don't want to go back to the lamp because of the humidity it would kill.
    You can use a light dimmer. You can get them at Lowes, Home Depot, or any hardware store really. Just make sure you are monitor the temps if you have the tank in a room where the temperature is constantly changing.
    How big is your BP? A 30gal would be fine for an adult, but not a baby unless you have a lot of hides, plants for cover, etc.

Thanks

A good, cheap 'for now' stat is the ZooMed ReptiTemp 500R. MANY people will say it's a piece of crud, but it is MUCH preferable to not having anything! I have 5 of them and they have worked perfectly for me for a year now. You can get one for $21 or so at ReptileSupply.com

In the meantime, save up your money for a Johnson ($80) or a Herpstat for the best ($110) and put some air between the glass and the pad (meaning, take the pad off the glass and just set it under the tank...tho not on old wood or anything). Rheostats are a waste of money UNLESS your room temps never fluctuate more than a degree or two ever. Otherwise the temps could be all over the place at any given time, since rheostats and dimmers adjust based on the air temps of the room.

I also ask what size/age your snake is and WHO told you that tank would be good?? If it was a pet store, then that explains it.
    Baby BPs should be in 10g tanks or 12-15qt tubs, subadults in 20long tanks or 20-32qt tubs, and adults can live in 30-40g tanks or 40+qt tubs.

As for the ambient and cool side temps, you might need a second heat source on the cool side with it's own t-stat. You can use a lamp, but make sure the wattage is under 60 and the lamp is raised at least 8" above the top of the lid to reduce moisture loss.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Argentra For This Useful Post:

McGornel (10-14-2008)

Thanks

The BP is over a year old and I have cluttered the tank up with vines and logs and such.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python

Go Gators!

Thanks

I agree with Argentra. The Zoo Med Thermostats aren't the greatest, but should do the job. You'll spend a few dollars more, but will be much happier.

Thanks

I think I'm gonna order the ZooMed ReptiTherm. Thanks everyone.

-Mike
    1.0 Normal Ball Python

Go Gators!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast