Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,148

2 members and 3,146 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Exclamation scary times with needles

Ok so I just gave my first needle to Mr. Belt and I have to say that it just about the most nerve racking thing ever. frist I had to get him still enough to find the right place then get the needle in position and once it was it he would react and move very violently. I did this about three times before I managed to get any medicine in, the fourth attemt to get the last bit in was just murder tho. we were both on edge and when he moved this time he moved into the needle I knew he probably wouldnt give me a fifth chance after this so i squeezed it all in and set him down and seen his mouth was open (probably really pissed). I check to see if he was bleeding, he wasnt and put him back in his tank for a long long time to forget this experience with me.poor guy, next time i drive the hour for hes needles to be done by the vet...now wheres that vodka at?

Thanks

Re: scary times with needles

I had to give injections to a 4 1/2 male ball. It took me to restrain the snake while my wife gave the shot. It wasn't easy on the 3 of us but it has to be done. Sounds like you were doing this alone. Next time get another set of hands. One to hold the snake and one to give the shoot.
    MIKE

This space for rent

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Heres a tip for you guys next time put the animal down on the floor cover it with a shirt or something till they calm down then find your spot by keeping the animal covered but moving the shirt or towel or what ever your using just enough to find you a spot. Then just give the injection it'll be less stressful on you and the animal it'll make things much easier on all of you.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    Heres a tip for you guys next time put the animal down on the floor cover it with a shirt or something till they calm down then find your spot by keeping the animal covered but moving the shirt or towel or what ever your using just enough to find you a spot. Then just give the injection it'll be less stressful on you and the animal it'll make things much easier on all of you.
    This works really well. We would either use a towel, or a snake bag at the wildlife rehab when we had to work with snakes (& some of them didn't just need shots, but had been run over by cars, etc. and had some very serious injuries. & were wild). It does help if you have someone to hold the snake while you are working with it too.
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW