Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,428

2 members and 2,426 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
    Thanks

Should I buy a ball python from here?

Hi,

I am looking to get a ball python for as a pet...a maybe a possible breeder in the future. I have some snake experience and have been researching ball pythons for quite some time. I already have a set-up, but no snake yet.

I live in Canada as a student, but I'm home for a couple days visiting my family in the States. Theres a local pet store here that has some cb young balls that have eaten f/t a few times regularly. They look and felt healthy and clean...but come with a price tag of $75 (for a normal).

Is that way too much to pay for such a young snake?

It's hard to find quality snakes in Canada, plus shipping will be an additional $50 from any breeder. So should I go ahead with the purchase?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Should I buy a ball python from here?

Hi,

Well I think they would need cites paperwork to cross the border which can take some time to arrange.

There are definately some great breeders in Canada - Here's one for a start.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

I purchased my first snake from a Pet store(Petco) and I got lucky that nothing went wrong, but I don't think I'd do it again. IMO, it's worth the extra money to be guaranteed you're getting a healthy snake.

Thanks

If quality snakes are hard to come by I would not pay attention to the price. Health is everything. Would you pay $30 for one you 'think' looks healthy. Or would you pay $75 for one you KNOW is healthy. Now its your call whether or not the snakes are healthy. But if they are....and you are ready for the care, I say reach in the wallet and get urself a critter!

Dont forget once it has become acclimated to it's new enclosure, you HAVE to post pics on here or you get Banned

hehhe...I kid I kid about the banning.....

......or am I
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______
    ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!

Kansas City Chiefs

Thanks

Where are you in the States? Maybe you could find a local breeder to help you out.

I'm curious . . . are you going to drive it home?

Whatever you decide, good luck to ya!
    Laurie

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Calift View Post
    Hi,

I am looking to get a ball python for as a pet...a maybe a possible breeder in the future. I have some snake experience and have been researching ball pythons for quite some time. I already have a set-up, but no snake yet.

I live in Canada as a student, but I'm home for a couple days visiting my family in the States. Theres a local pet store here that has some cb young balls that have eaten f/t a few times regularly. They look and felt healthy and clean...but come with a price tag of $75 (for a normal).

Is that way too much to pay for such a young snake?

It's hard to find quality snakes in Canada, plus shipping will be an additional $50 from any breeder. So should I go ahead with the purchase?
    I live in Canada, Ontario to be exact. I bought my BP for $75 at a reptile exhibit directly from the breeder. The next show is Nov 16.

Thanks

If you are prepared to spend $75 on a normal ball python

I would say it would be better to pay the $50 shipping and get oen from a good solid breeder rather than a petstore.

In fact most breeders sell baby normals for $15-25 so you might even save money while getting a higher quality snake
    Mike Schultz
    Outback Reptiles
    mike@outbackreptiles.com
    703-365-2262