Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,190

1 members and 3,189 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: some people are just plain dumb

I agree with all the comments regarding people's lack of understanding for some breeds. The fact does remain that pits ARE the breed of choice amongst dog fighting people and as a pit owner it will be good to let the uneducated remarks slide off your back and try to take the time to educate anyone on the wonderful side of this breed also.

I would like to address why you have taken your 10 week old puppy out in public while he's still so young. Is he already fully vaccinated? Puppies are so susceptible to picking up virus's during this very tender age while they are building up immuniities to disease while the natural immunity they get from the mothers is fading away. To be taken seriously as a pit owner you must be responsible at all times and put the needs of your puppy tops. Wait till he's completed all his shots before taking him out and risking exposure.

I bet he is one CUTE puppy!! At 10 weeks they are still so "mushy" and curious about every little new thing in their world.

Thanks

Now , I want to start off stating I am not defending ignorance. Everyone has a fear of something.............snakes, insects, spiders (me) lizards, cats or dogs. I don't paticularly care for spiders in my home and depending on the size ( the little guys in the corners are left alone) usually my husband will relocate outside. When viewing animals at expos I pass by the T's quickly without saying a word, not voicing that they a re dangerous, disgusting or whatever. Picking up your puppy and walking away was, IMO the absolute best way to handle that lady's ignorance. Arguing with someone like that usually only results in frustration. Every one has a right to be scared of something, whether it is a rational or irrational fear but voicing it the way some do is rude and sets a very bad example if any children are around. Unless your dog does something illegal, just remember there is nothing anyone can do to take the dog away from you. Enjoy the darling little guy, teach him good manners and he will set a good example for the breed. When I was younger and the kids were growing up we had several Dobies, a Rottie and two pitbulls so I know the prejudice you are dealing with and now when folks at work hear I have snakes it is a similar reaction. Nothing I can say will change their minds and I choose not to force my pets or thoughts on them.
    "All creatures great and small.........."
    1 loving husband
    1.1 Normal Ball Pythons- George and Grace/1.1 BCI - Duece and Garnet/0.1 ferret - Gator
    2.0 Cockatiels- AJ and Twitch/ 1.1 Rats -Jeffrey and ?
    0.0.1 Veiled Chameleon - Lennie/ 1.0 Bearded Dragon (Puff-5weeks old)0.1 Miniature Pinscher- Spring
    1.0 Rat Terrier- Mack/ 120 Gal. freshwater tank
    2- 3 gal freshwater tanks
    Nolie - 0.1 ferret R.I.P.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shiftto5 View Post
    alright so im not oblivious to all of the bad reps that my dogs breed has been given and i completely understand why some people are afraid of them(by the way im talking about pitbulls) but i was out walking my new little boy(he is 10 weeks today) and were starting to walk him on a leash so he gets used to it, but either way the whole day people were giving him compliments on how good he looks and that he was the sweetest little thing so on and so on, until this one woman and her daughter , it started off alright they came up asked if they could pet him and were loving on him until she asked what breed he was( stupid me said "pit bull") and she yanked her daughter away and proceeded to tell me that i was endangering society by having him on the streets, and that next time she saw me with him she would make sure he would never be on the "streets" again, i just grabbed him and walked away, Now i just want to make sure you know the dog did nothing at all . he just sit there and let them pet him,
    So did i do something wrong? should i lie and tell everyone he is a "stafford shire terrier" i mean what would you do? and just so everyone can see how vicious my dog is here is a pic

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...newpics186.jpg
    I would have told her, hey, he's a pup, hes not going to harm anyone, and maybe "they shouldnt allow you and your daughter to walk the streets either, or even give you air to breathe" that would shut them up.

Not all pit bulls are bad, only the ones who get neglected or used for fighting etc... or if they dont get proper training, if they get used to kids at an early age like a puppy, they wont do harm to the children
    Stacey
    1.2 Shih Tzu's (Bert, Lea, Maci)
    1.1.0 Crested Gecko (Sparx, Skylar)

***really badly want an albino, butter and a carmel ball and a creamsicle crested gecko***

Thanks

i really agree with everyone on how i wouldnt be able to change her mind even if i could, and as for the why i was walking him, well i just felt we both needed to get out of the house, he already has his first shots so i really didnt see anything wrong with taking him out ! but from now on it will just be the front yard and doggie parks, P.S. one of the main reasons im letting him out now is because i want him to get interaction with kids now, as a puppy that way he learns for when he gets older

Thanks

I hate that!!!! Omg i get that all the time with my black lab no less! People think " OMG a big scary black dog! Its going to eat our children! Lets call the police and tell some lies so that lady loses her dog and the dog is put down" People are really really stupid. They listen to all these stories about freak accidents and think it is an everyday occurance. I can't believe she would do that infront of her child. Her kid is going to be scared of them now... ugh I HATE idiots like this... Having snakes we get it all the time... people just need to trust that if we allow our animals to be pet that they are safe. You did nothing wrong. you should have told her you didnt want her grubby old hands on your precious little doggy anyway! I LOVE Pits! They are great dogs. Like any human it depends on how they are taught. People can fix alot of things. We can fix cars, we can fix 5 star meals and we can even fix alot of common illnesses, But unfortunatly my BP.net family you can't fix stupid.
    ~*Luna*~ The crazy Sagittarius/Snake BP Lady
    Cal and Ki's Proud Mommy.
    ~~* Goddess Bless*~~
    1.0.0- Normal Ball Python (Kyros "Ki")
    0.1.0- Normal*Spider sibling*Ball Python(Calypso"Cal")
    1.0.0- Betta fish (Leonidas "Leo")
    Steve Irwin (2/22/62 - 9/4/06)
    Sagittarius- Shockingly blunt since the beginning of time!

Thanks

aww.. such a cute pup. What a shame that the woman was an idiot and is teaching her daughter to also become an idiot. And you handled the situation admirably. Personally I would have said something to her like, "be careful or next time he might lick you senseless!" but thats just me
    Doris

Thanks

lol yah he is already starting to slober because of his jowls( is that how you spell that?) so i can see how the whole licking thing could be "deadly" lol

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

In my state you cannot get homeowners insurance if you own a pitbull.

Thanks

where do you live? in know in cali that you have to have insurance and something like a 12ft high fence , as well as the dog has to be spayed/neautered, Ahh the wonderful things that BSL has gave society,

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shiftto5 View Post
    alright so im not oblivious to all of the bad reps that my dogs breed has been given and i completely understand why some people are afraid of them(by the way im talking about pitbulls) but i was out walking my new little boy(he is 10 weeks today) and were starting to walk him on a leash so he gets used to it, but either way the whole day people were giving him compliments on how good he looks and that he was the sweetest little thing so on and so on, until this one woman and her daughter , it started off alright they came up asked if they could pet him and were loving on him until she asked what breed he was( stupid me said "pit bull") and she yanked her daughter away and proceeded to tell me that i was endangering society by having him on the streets, and that next time she saw me with him she would make sure he would never be on the "streets" again, i just grabbed him and walked away, Now i just want to make sure you know the dog did nothing at all . he just sit there and let them pet him,
    So did i do something wrong? should i lie and tell everyone he is a "stafford shire terrier" i mean what would you do? and just so everyone can see how vicious my dog is here is a pic

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...newpics186.jpg
    OH MY GAWDD, LOOK AT THAT FACE!!
    He's adorable! I would hug and kiss that thing to bits and pieces.
    Don't listen to that woman. She's twisted.
    Don't let it get to you and look at the bright side: at least your province/state has put a BAN on them.

Can you believe that?! A BAN on a breed of dog...

Heck, you wanna feel better?
    People are so stupid, some of them and their children get scared when they see MY dog!!
    (pitcure in my gallery, too lazy to post)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast