Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,384

1 members and 3,383 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Question, some help or insight?

It's been a little over 2 weeks since feeding my RTB. He's about 4 - 41/2 ft. I feed him jumbo Rats. 1 every couple of weeks, he's always been a good eater. I went to feed him tonight, it's been over 2 weeks. and usually when i have it thawed out, he's out of his hide waiting. Tonight was different, i had to lift his hide up to expose him, and when i put the rat ( which was a large rat tonight, they were all out of jumbos ) he wasn't interested at all. His eyes weren't blue, and he almost seemed afraid of it He'd go up to it like RIGHT up to it, and then just back away, i'd put it closer to him and he just kept going away.

Now when he is usually about to drop his droppings, or in shed or about to, he hiss's or he'll even strike at the rat without grabbing on it, more of a " get away from me, leave me alone " type or deal.

I observed him and he just kept to himself, however around his mouth it seemed like there was lose skin, like when he stretched his jaws it stretched it or something...nothing crazy but it's something i noticed, and it might have been like that all of his life, but what can i do about that?

What do you suggest i do. Do you think he's going to the bathroom? or about to shed and just not interested, or do you think something else could be wrong.

Now he's about 4ft MAYBE 4 and a half ft. At least 4. I've been told to feed him Jumbo rats, they aren't MONSTERS you know, add a large and medium rat together from petco and that's about the size. I've had him over a year, closer to year and a half. Always been good, never problems, Housing is fine, etc.

Do sometimes they just not want to eat? am i feeding him to quickly? Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated it. Sometimes i worry when i don't need to, and i'm worried because he's family.

Hopefully this came across and i got my point across with making sense.

Thank you.

Thanks

Re: Question, some help or insight?

Don't worry too much.. Change of prey is one of the most common causes for them to refuse a meal.. Check his parameters and just wait another week and offer him the rat again.. also, you can look at the care sheet, at the feeding section, there is a check list with reasons for them stopping feeding..

Good luck and be patient :p

Thanks

I'm guessing he's just over 2 years old, right? The weather around your area having a temp drop lately? I'll bet yes. He's of age to breed and he's going off feed...give him a few weeks to a month and offer again. He won't starve.
    It's All About Boas
    www.jimisnakes.com
    JimiSnakes Facebook Page
    ~Jimi

Thanks

+1 on what jimi said

Thanks

Dead on Jimi, on the guess. Thank you everybody.

Thanks

So is it okay to still handle him? Since he doesn't seem hungry, when i was messing around with him yesterday, he wasn't hissing or striking? or should i leave him alone till after he eats?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

dip the rats head in chicken broth. most likely he will eat it, i have had my carpet do that to me when i didnt get the exact same size rat and she wouldnt eat it but as soon as i dipped it in chicken broth she beat the brakes off it persay lol. i had a boa years ago also and i did the same to him when he wouldnt eat. cant hurt to try and the broth isnt but liek 89 cent to a dollar so it isnt to expensive not to try.

Thanks

more likely than not it was what jimi said because well...hes jimi but usually when my boa is uninterested is because the rat isnt hot enough =]

Thanks

Handle away bro, go about as usual.
    It's All About Boas
    www.jimisnakes.com
    JimiSnakes Facebook Page
    ~Jimi