Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,247

2 members and 3,245 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397

Thread: Pet Store Rant!

Thanks

Thumbs down Pet Store Rant!

So i went to a pet store ive never been to today to get my snake a rat, upon getting there i went straight to the reptile section and i was extremely disappointed to see the condition of their baby ball pythons, they all have bad sheds, some extremely bad, there skin was very dry and wrinkly, there were no hides and there was shed skin and dried crap all over the tank, i told they lady at the counter about it and she got an attitude with me so to avoid further conflict i left. Who should i talk to, to prevent these things.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Pet Store Rant!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron85 View Post
    So i went to a pet store ive never been to today to get my snake a rat, upon getting there i went straight to the reptile section and i was extremely disappointed to see the condition of their baby ball pythons, they all have bad sheds, some extremely bad, there skin was very dry and wrinkly, there were no hides and there was shed skin and dried crap all over the tank, i told they lady at the counter about it and she got an attitude with me so to avoid further conflict i left. Who should i talk to, to prevent these things.
    Unfortunately, I see this in MOST major pet stores I go to. Some that actually care about their pets and reputation and have adequate staff to facilitate good care for their animals, will hire specific reptile care givers to ensure this is avoided. Most of the time, it's reptile specific stores that you don't see this sort of stuff at.

I would call the manager next time they're in and tell them about it. Explain that you think it's inhumane. If it's a major chain and you have the time and passion, email or call their head office. Sometimes, it's not even with the less popular pets. I see dogs, cats, hamsters and rats being treated like poop all the time. It's not a good sight. It's depressing.

Thanks

The conditions in this store in my town are awful. Like, I think border on illegal .. if not already there. I have actually been thinking of asking for a weekend position there and using my extra time cleaning up here and there, and fixing the stuff that is wrong.

I dunno ...

There is a new store in town called 'Tropical Creations" and they are moving more and more into a real, full service pet store. I think if they continue on that path, and continue doing things right (not everything I have seen is perfect .. but in comparison this is 800 steps above the other store) they will run the other out of town.

Found the website - Tropical Creations. It's a little out of date (they have been busy expanding and moving the store) but .. it's there.

Thanks

Whenever we got to Pets Plus we usually see at least one dead reptile. It's terrible, they have one decent employee there, everyone else is an idiot.
    1.0.0 Normal Bearded Dragon
    0.0.1 Albino Pacman Frog
    0.0.1 Normal Pacman Frog
    1.0.0 Veiled Chameleon
    0.0.3 Hermit Crabs
    1.0.0 Tabby Cat
    0.1.0 Basset Hound Puppy

Thanks

I was in PetCo the other day and my 9 year old son noticed that every thermometer in the ball python tank was a bit over 100 degrees. We told the girl at the checkout and she responded with my favorite line: “That is not my area”.

Thanks

Out Petco doesnt even have thermometers in the BP tank

Thanks

I'm trying to get a job at petco as the reptile sales associate so i can prevent people from buying the little darlings just on a whim. Nothing ticks me off more than people buying animals purely on whim without any prior knowledge... I want whats best for the animals. Animals first, humans second.
    ~*Luna*~ The crazy Sagittarius/Snake BP Lady
    Cal and Ki's Proud Mommy.
    ~~* Goddess Bless*~~
    1.0.0- Normal Ball Python (Kyros "Ki")
    0.1.0- Normal*Spider sibling*Ball Python(Calypso"Cal")
    1.0.0- Betta fish (Leonidas "Leo")
    Steve Irwin (2/22/62 - 9/4/06)
    Sagittarius- Shockingly blunt since the beginning of time!

Thanks

Angry Re: Pet Store Rant!

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    I was in PetCo the other day and my 9 year old son noticed that every thermometer in the ball python tank was a bit over 100 degrees. We told the girl at the checkout and she responded with my favorite line: “That is not my area”.
    " I don't give a hiss, you are getting someone to fix it right now or I have a little talk with your boss. I don't care if you do it but someone is going to fix it right here right now while I watch, and if there is no one here that can I will do it for you." I would have retorted. ( then again I am pretty hissy when it comes to people who give me that sort of poo)
    ~*Luna*~ The crazy Sagittarius/Snake BP Lady
    Cal and Ki's Proud Mommy.
    ~~* Goddess Bless*~~
    1.0.0- Normal Ball Python (Kyros "Ki")
    0.1.0- Normal*Spider sibling*Ball Python(Calypso"Cal")
    1.0.0- Betta fish (Leonidas "Leo")
    Steve Irwin (2/22/62 - 9/4/06)
    Sagittarius- Shockingly blunt since the beginning of time!

Thanks

I've also thought of seeking a part time posititon at a local "big box" store, but I know that is not the solution. Unfortunately I don't think there is a good solution to "big box" stores and their reptile care.
    ==========
    Carpe Diem
    ==========

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalGuardian View Post
    I'm trying to get a job at petco as the reptile sales associate so i can prevent people from buying the little darlings just on a whim. Nothing ticks me off more than people buying animals purely on whim without any prior knowledge... I want whats best for the animals. Animals first, humans second.
    And that's exactly why you won't get hired...They think:
    "sales first everything else second"

I hate those big chains
    Last edited by Funky#2; 10-09-2008 at 07:13 PM. Reason: typo
    1.0.0 Normal Bearded Dragon
    0.0.1 Albino Pacman Frog
    0.0.1 Normal Pacman Frog
    1.0.0 Veiled Chameleon
    0.0.3 Hermit Crabs
    1.0.0 Tabby Cat
    0.1.0 Basset Hound Puppy