Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,173

0 members and 3,173 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Why do the two hides need to be identical?

I have three hides in my tank. Its a 20L and my guy just a youngin. I know the half logs are not recomended at all, but I didnt know that when I got them...and they were recomended to me at petsmart. Ugh!!! I have 2 of them and one hide is a ceramic hollow bonsai tree. One half log is small and the other one is bigger. The two half logs are on the warm side, the bigger one is set up more to fill space, but he could get in it if he wanted. The bonsai tree is on the cooler side. He spends all of his time in the small half log, did spend the first day in the bigger half log. he has not gone in the bosai in the time I've had him, though he has climbed his branch up to the top of the tree and layed there a few nights. Anyways, sorry for the long post. Is this ok or do I need to ditch the half logs, and maybe get two other identical hides since he is obviously not interested in the tree? He ate woderfully and seems happy, athough he hasnt left his small log since he ate.

Thanks

Re: Why do the two hides need to be identical?

snakes will choose security over temps so he probably isnt thermoregulating hope this helps. =]

Thanks

So ditch them? Get two different ones? One different one? Rearange for now? What should I do? I just want everything to be perfect. (haha, never will)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jgauger View Post
    So ditch them? Get two different ones? One different one? Rearange for now? What should I do? I just want everything to be perfect. (haha, never will)
    Ditch both the log hides. Get two IDENTICAL hides and put one on the cold side, and one on the warm side. Like was mentioned above, the snake will pick security over temperature. If you have two identical ones, it can pick based on temp and not security. Make sense? So if the smaller hide is on the cold side, it will go to that hide even though it wants to be warm. Two identical hides just ensures that the only thing they have to decide is whether to be hot or cold (thermo regulating) rather than whether it wants to be more or less safe. Just get two identical hides. lol
    Hope this helps
    Good luck

Thanks

You want to get two of the same exact hide. I also recommend getting something where he can be enclosed and feel secure. For example, I just recently ordered a couple of these type of hides for my new ball. Pet stores also carry ones that look more like a hollowed out rock, and those work fine as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    Ditch both the log hides. Get two IDENTICAL hides and put one on the cold side, and one on the warm side. Like was mentioned above, the snake will pick security over temperature. If you have two identical ones, it can pick based on temp and not security. Make sense? So if the smaller hide is on the cold side, it will go to that hide even though it wants to be warm. Two identical hides just ensures that the only thing they have to decide is whether to be hot or cold (thermo regulating) rather than whether it wants to be more or less safe. Just get two identical hides. lol
    Hope this helps
    Good luck
    Whoops, you beat me to it

Thanks

or dolar store bowls cut out with a soldering iron lol

Thanks

Ok thank you guys. Next question...he's 3 months old, what size hides?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

small enough so that only the snake can fit inside ... if you can fit the snake and a nickle in there ... it's too big! (or as close as you can get to that).

They love it tight!

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Just enough to fit them curled into a ball. I have a 3 month old and this is the one I got her http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/reptile_cave.php in the medium size which is the second one from the left. You want it them to fit into it and have a bit of space but not too much. Think security. As they get older you'll obviously have to upgrade but that one should last the next few months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast