Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,169

1 members and 3,168 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,554
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Thanks

Re: Article on Exotic Pets

OMG this makes me so mad! If people practice proper and safe handling with children, then stuff like this wouldnt be an issue. It drives me crazy to think that with the huge number of unwanted animals already needing homes that these people would recommend adding to that number by getting rid of the pets you already have if your child is under 5 years old....its just ridiculous. This whole article makes me just furious......!
    ~Alli

Thanks

Yep, The slobs that cant take proper care of anything, always have to ruin it.

Thanks

it is a bit of over kill but, i see what they are getting at. there was a little girl who lived in our neighborhood. She got really bad salmonella from a pet turtle that she had. she nearly died, and you know how young kids put EVERYTHING in their mouth. Its unfortunate, but they have a point. BUT!!!!!! It is also the parents responsibility to make sure the child is handling the animal correctly and so on and so forth. so parents should be more diligent when their kids hold their exotics, to make sure they wash their hands before and after handling.
    1.0.0 Normal Ball Python, 0.1.0 Albino Ball Python, 1.0.0 Spider Ball Python, 0.1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0.0 Sorong Type Green Tree Python, 0.1.0 Green Iguana, 1.0.0 Whites Tree Frog,

Thanks

Children should not be allowed to have exotic pets.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081006/...ed_exotic_pets

Basically this thread IMO was written by a germaphobe. I'd say the biggest worry is kids handling money. If that isn't the dirtiest thing on the face of the earth chocked full of germs then I don't know what is. Too many people are freaked over a lil germs here and there. My argument is, we need germs to built up an immunity. Not people running around like a screaming lil girl 'cause we touched something that was full of "icky-poo" germs and that we forgot our sanitizer soap! Yes, it's ok to have hygiene but geez, stop being such a wuss about everything.

Thanks

Re: Children should not be allowed to have exotic pets.

My mother in law freaks out if she doesn't see me bleach everything my snake touches. Its ridiculous! She is very similar on the whole "salmonella oh noooooooooo." Its VERY irritating and no matter what facts I present to her she doesn't understand that touching a snake is not the same as juggling raw chickens.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python- Little Dude
    0.0.1 Albino Kingsnake - Weiner
    Missi

Thanks

Intresting read. Thought I would share

I'm sure all of us with children ANY age (including myself) take all precautions to ensure the health and well being of our children and Reptiles alike!

Discuss

Tony.

0.1.0 Ball Python - Cali
    0.2.0 Crested Gecko - Sparkz, Bizkuit
    http://reptilegeeks.com/BooRadleyAMG
    http://myspace.com/plasticz82

Thanks

Re: Intresting read. Thought I would share

Quote Originally Posted by BooRadleyAMG View Post

I'm sure all of us with children ANY age (including myself) take all precautions to ensure the health and well being of our children and Reptiles alike!

Discuss
    Someone else actually just posted this as well. I find it kind of sad to be honest. I mean I think we're progressing to a point in our country where we feel like we have to protect protect protect our children from this "dangerous" world with all its germs and bacteria. IMO it's total BS. I spent every day during the summer when I was growing up in the swamps behind our house building forts, catching frogs, turtles, snakes, bugs whatever I could find. You know how many times I got salmonella or any other disease? NONE.

We try so hard to keep our kids from anything that could possibly harm them but in the end I think we do them more harm than good. In order for someones immune system to build up, well, immunities and defenses against germs it must be exposed to germs, bacteria, viruses etc.... So by keeping our children in these super sanitized environments we're basically ensuring that if they ever get out into that big dark scary "dirty" world they are GOING to get sick!

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that parents (which I'm not a parent but I am the oldest of 5 boys and I've helped raise all of them) should go out and buy their little kids all sorts of "exotic" pets or reptiles and let the kids put them in their mouths and eat their poop or what not lol. But I think that a healthy appreciation of nature and animals begins at a young age, so a blanket statement such as "young children should not keep hedgehogs as pets — or hamsters, baby chicks, lizards and turtles, for that matter — because of risks for disease. " is misleading and I think wrong. If the parent knows how to keep and care for that pet and supervises their young child while they are interacting with the animal it can be a huge learning experience for that kid and can help to foster a respect for all life.

Sorry I'll get off my soapbox now there's so much more I could say but I'd like to see what everyone else has to say
    ~Adam~

BPs: 3.9 Normals, 1.0 Spider, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 100% Het Hypo, 1.0 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Albino 1.0 Bumblebee .
    Bloods: 0.1 Marter line red, 1.0 Het T+ albino red.
    Colubrids:1.1 Western Hogs, 0.0.1 Tri-Color Hognose, 1.0 Albino Cal King,

Thanks

I'm totally ok with this article. They're merely saying that kids shouldnt have the pets..not their parents. I don't think any child under the age of, I dont know, 13 or so should have a reptile or exotic pet kept in their room. Its just not a good idea.

Again, just my opinion.

I'm sure plenty of parents on here will chime in about success stories with their kids, but lets face it. This is an informed site. Of course your kids will take better care of their pets because you know how to take care of yours. But as a general rule of thumb...kids shouldnt have exotics.

Thanks

I think I had read somewhere that there is only one (or very few) documented true case of a child getting salmonella from a pet reptile. All the rest "allegedly" could be from the animal but weren't proven.

The vast majority of salmonella infection is from undercooked eggs and poultry.

Why aren't parents parenting anymore lolz?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast