Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,112

1 members and 1,111 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BP On The Loose

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Exclamation BP On The Loose

As much as I'm aware of all the threads regarding this issue, I need to get some specific advice because I'm running out of options.

Last night, I went out for a few hours after handling Pandora, putting her back in her tank and ensuring (as always) that she couldn't get out. I come home and peek inside both her hides as I normally do just to see how she's doing and I don't see any sign of her. So I picked up the hides and she's not under either of them. 10 Gallon tank, no sign of struggle, no overturned lid and no snake. Needless to say, my boyfriend and I both start panicking and looking for her. I took everything out of my closet and thoroughly searched through it, moved all the furniture around in my room, opened drawers, overturned pillows and clothes, searched my bookshelf; nothing. The door was closed so there's no way she could have gotten out of the room but we searched the entire top floor of my house. I turned on the AC full blast all night and set out her heat pad covered with a towel, and her hide in the middle of my room. I also covered the ENTIRE top floor of my house in flour and waited. We checked on the rooms every couple of hours and there was NO sign of her slithering about. It's been 24 hours. We set a rat in a box in the middle of the room for the past 7 hours and she STILL hasn't come out. We checked all 3 floors of my house; very thoroughly. There's no way she should have been able to get out in the first place, not to mention she would have fallen once she got out of the tank because there's nothing for her to crawl down from.

Here's my real dilemma: my mother is deathly terrified of snakes. Our agreement was that as long as she doesn't see it or touch it, I'm allowed to keep it. The rents are in Barcelona until this Saturday. I NEED to find her before then. I cannot stress that enough.

I've done everything that's recommended to do in this situation. Nothing has worked to my advantage. I know sometimes these little buggers can go missing for weeks and months at a time. I don't have that time. I'm really hoping somebody can help me with some tips on how to find or lure her. As long as I know what floor or room she's on, I can tear it apart and hopefully get to her.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: BP On The Loose

Well since no one has responded yet check EVERYWHERE that creates heat. Look mostly in the room her tank is in. They don't go too far from their tank in that short of a time. If you use a heat pad I might suggest putting it somewhere she might go to hide.

Good luck! I've never dealt with this problem before, but I'm sure it will happen some day!

Registered User Abby_The_Python's Avatar
    Thanks

Behind & under refridgerators, washers dryers freezers are good hiding spots for bps. They wont move for days once they found a spot.

I would spotcheck the air exchange for the dryer also if you have one. Hope your pet turns up, keep us updated.
    0.3 Normals

i Love normals!

Thanks

i recently had the same issue. We found ours only 6 inches from her cage about 16 hours after she was last seen in it. i would say recheck everywhere. With the help of a friend it took us 4 hours to find her. and where we found her my wife and I both looked several times. just think of small spaces that would be dark and about the same size as your ball. they like a tight hide so nothing is really to small.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Abby_The_Python View Post
    Behind & under refridgerators, washers dryers freezers are good hiding spots for bps. They wont move for days once they found a spot.

I would spotcheck the air exchange for the dryer also if you have one. Hope your pet turns up, keep us updated.
    Well the thing about that is these appliances are either 1 or 2 floors below the room her enclosure is in. The door was closed - and theres only about 1 cm or less of space between the door and the floor, and even less between the wall and the door.

The vents in my room are too small for her to fit her head in, nevermind the rest of her body. And there are no signs of her even trying.

Also, there was a hole in my door (only on one side - one way in, one way out kind of thing) which is hollow, but when I shake the door it doesn't feel like a snake is chilling in there.

However, supposing she did escape somehow, what are the chances she would have gone down the stairs? They're 23 hardwood stairs, so I'm guessing she wouldn't have much grip - though please do prove me wrong if needed.

I've checked the guest bedroom, my mothers bedroom and the bathroom and no sign of a BP. These rooms do NOT contain any extreme tight spots, only the kind of hides you would be able to CLEARLY see that there is no sign of a snake.

I'm stumped!

Thanks

If your door was closed, and you're sure she didn't get out, then go through your room again.

I've had escapees too, and they are always very close by. opening your chest drawers is not enough...you have to disassemble that thing! they can get into very tight spaces - spaces you never even thought were possible. They are little turds sometimes

keep us posted

Registered User Abby_The_Python's Avatar
    Thanks

do u have a pic of your tank, once i found mine underneath her water dish buried in substrate.

After all the searching I felt like i lost years of my life for nothing...
    0.3 Normals

i Love normals!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Abby_The_Python View Post
    do u have a pic of your tank, once i found mine underneath her water dish buried in substrate.

After all the searching I felt like i lost years of my life for nothing...
    There should be a picture of her tank in my gallery. There's no room for her to fit where I wouldn't notice a lump in the substrate =(

Thanks

The one time my BP escaped, I found her underneath her tank after two days of tearing the upstairs of my house apart. You'd be suprised where they can fit! Good luck!
    -Lindsay

0.1 ball python - 1.1 leopard geckos

Thanks

Or if your really lucky, they could get eaten and then re-appear some time later.

Make sure to check by any lights, tvs, vents, electronics. In between cushions and mattresses. I tore apart my room to find nothing when mine escaped, only to find him between two pieces of metal in my closet, which was close to his old cage...
    Not the warmest place.. O.o

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast