Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,332

3 members and 2,329 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

What does it take to make a line

About a year ago I acquired a "yellow belly" off of fauna. He has been proven to product Ivories when mixed with another yellow belly. But here is the catch, I just found out he was a CH snake, so he may have something special in them genes of his and I plan on trying to prove him out. Anyways what does it take to officially call his "yellow belly" offspring his own line or maybe even whole new het morph once I prove him out. If I wanted to sell some of the offspring would it wrong if I called it a Paradise Belly or something along those lines because the genes are from CH? Just curious.

BPs Currently 23 total
    1.6.0 Normals, 1.0.0 66% poss het pied, 2.5.0 Yellow Belly, 1.0.0 Blonde Pastel, 1.0.0 Mojave, 0.1.0 Lemon Blast, 1.0.0 Albino, 0.1.0 100% het albino, 1.0.0 Spider, 1.1.0 Het Caramel Albino

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: What does it take to make a line

in germany we have someone (hans jörg winner) who bought his yellow bellies as old balls in the early 90s and proved em to be het for ivory. but he call em yellow bellies. if a snake produces the same super form its simply the existence morph- doesnt matter if it was an african wildcaught import or else. to name it other would just bring more confusion into the bp scene- espacially if they the same as other. we have that problem enough.

if they produce something different than of course u can call it what u want.

like the orange bellies from ben siegel. they produce ultra ivorys and bring even the graphite ivory to live. therefor its his line.

but if i buy an animal and it proves out it is a yellow bellie and makes ivorys, i simply call it yellow bellie, even its not from the known line.

btw- this happens alot. many oddballs prove out to be something. if everyone would give it his own name we would have a real big mess- bigger than we got it now- and for me it is big neough

just my 2 cents
    Last edited by joe23; 07-29-2010 at 07:07 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joe23 For This Useful Post:

h00blah (07-29-2010),Kyle@theHeathertoft (07-30-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

line is just placed in front of the known morph, lemon pastel, blonde pastel, ect. but their all pastels. personaly I don't see the point of all the lines and just see it as a marketing tool, but in reality means nothing.

call it *insert name here* yellowbelly if you want, but truth be told it will most likly annoy people. if you go to sell anything, give them your little story you just posted, with proof, and leave it at that, but just call them yellowbellies.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

BAMReptiles (07-29-2010)

Thanks

I may be wrong but line identification is important if there is a difference. Some recessive lines of the same mutation are not compatible so knowing what line you have is important. Other times like the pastels line identifies a particular characteristic of the animal i.e. lemon pastel for its high yellow look. Other wise it just allows you to take credit for owning an original from Africa. This might be important if someone wants fresh genes for their breeding. Not the ones passed from animal to animal here in the U.S.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatoyman View Post
    I may be wrong but line identification is important if there is a difference. Some recessive lines of the same mutation are not compatible so knowing what line you have is important. Other times like the pastels line identifies a particular characteristic of the animal i.e. lemon pastel for its high yellow look. Other wise it just allows you to take credit for owning an original from Africa. This might be important if someone wants fresh genes for their breeding. Not the ones passed from animal to animal here in the U.S.
    If the "lines" arn't compatible, then their completly different morphs all together. like if u breed a tsk and vpi axanthic together, you would make double hets. their not the same morph, just we call them them both axanthic because they both look axanthic lol. but their genetics arn't even close.

this is kinda my point for thinking lines are pointless... not all lemon pastels are high yellow, some random pastels are high yellow. it depends on the animal, not the line.

I can see your fresh genes point, but at the same time, snakes don't need fresh genes all that often, but this doesn't need to turn into that debate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    If the "lines" arn't compatible, then their completly different morphs all together. like if u breed a tsk and vpi axanthic together, you would make double hets. their not the same morph, just we call them them both axanthic because they both look axanthic lol. but their genetics arn't even close.

this is kinda my point for thinking lines are pointless... not all lemon pastels are high yellow, some random pastels are high yellow. it depends on the animal, not the line.

I can see your fresh genes point, but at the same time, snakes don't need fresh genes all that often, but this doesn't need to turn into that debate.
    Because the different mutations have the same name it is necessary to know which one you have. Also it hasn't been determined if the difference lies in a different gene or a different mutation of the same gene.

Truthfully except for the above concern so you have compatible animals the only real advantage to having a line is bragging rights.

Thanks

They only way to prove it has 'something else' it to breed it back to it's offspring. Or, it's offspring together. I would breed it to a normal, pick any strange looking offspring, and either breed them together or back to dad. If you only get yellowbellies & ivories, it's a yellow belly. If something different comes out, then you have yourself a hidden gene.

For example: someone in africa finds a light yellow snake (first pastel). Says, huh this is different. Breeds it to a normal, and has more light yellow babies. That's a good thing. Breeds the babies back to the parent, or each other. Low and behold, supers! The first pastel has been discovered.
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy