Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,282

2 members and 3,280 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

what the hell is wrong with him

hay guys i have a problem i had bought a little and i mean little four mouth tiger retic , i took him to the vet yesterday cus i saw a sore looking thing on his side along with two little bumps a ways down ,,, the vet just told me that it was a mouse bite ok i thought ,,, and he said i have a heathy snake ..... but to day i was watching him for about two to three hours straight.. i notic him doing this yowning deal ,, i thought my be a lack of air but i puled him out after doing it and he had upchucked a butt load of water out of his mouth when he yowned i second time ,,,,, i bought him sunday from tails n scales in derby kansas ,, from a friend who owns the place ..... hes captive breed and i know both parents of the snake nothing wrong ,,, so if any buddy can help please do so....

thanks
    john

Thanks

Re: what the hell is wrong with him

any body know whats going on if so please tell me or anything that might help
    thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

They will yawn for a variety of reasons. Usually realigning their jaws or due to nervousness. A snake with a serious respiratory infection will also yawn to try and breathe more easily....but if that's the case you will see a lot of constant yawning and not just a couple of them.

Maybe he'd had a big drink of water earlier and when you picked him up, you stressed him such that he upchucked the water.

Honestly though, based on the few sketchy details provided, I don't think anyone can definitively say what is going on with him. Have you tried calling the place you bought him from and asking them for their advice? There's not much we can do for you except suggest a call or trip to the vet again if he continues to yawn a lot and act strange.

In the meantime...if you want more specific advice....if you describe his set-up in detail, including housing type, temps, how you're heating, how you're measuring temps, humidity, substrate...how often you handle him....have you tried to feed him...if so, what and when and was it successful.....and any other details you can think of....then we an at least help you make sure he's being properly cared for to stay healthy.
    -- Judy

Thanks

ok his housing is a custum made 40 gallon long with glass top , and it has vents for good flowing air.,, substraight is eco earth ,,,, temp during the day is a constent 90 degrees on warm side and about 85 on the cool side he has a heat pad kinda in the middle of his tank and basking light on the left side of the tank,,, right side of his tank has his water dish and a good space to lay when needing to cool down ....yes he has eaten acully 3 days ago ..at night temps are around 85 to 88 degrees and humidity is at a constent 60% i have a mister in there with a humitity gage to make sure its at a constent 60% and other then that ,,, i handle him about three time a daymaybe four....

john

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't know retic-care, so I'll let an expert comment on your set-up. However, I think it would be a very reasonable theory that you have a seriously stressed-out snake on your hands right now. And even in a proper environment, stress CAN lead to illness.

Snakes don't need or want to be handled like that. Most especially when they are trying to figure out a new home and when they are babies or juvies (even giant snakes are at the bottom of the food chain when they are young and small!). Any snake needs to be given a good solid week, at a minimum, of pure alone time to settle into their new home and learn that it is a safe place to be. After that...brief handling sessions a few times a week (and certainly not more than once a day) would be far more appropriate.

Some snakes will tolerate more handling than others....but you have to give the poor little guy a chance to feel safe first...and then SLOWLY build up to more handling as you get to know him and learn how to tell when he's getting stressed.

After all that...my advice.....except for giving fresh water and any necessary spot-cleaning....leave him alone! At least a week...after what he's been through, I'd go for two, personally. And just watch him to see if he is indeed sick...or just really nervous.
    -- Judy