Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,195

0 members and 3,195 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: home thermostat

Thanks

home thermostat

hey I'm curious what's the difference between a home thermostat and a reptile thermostat?

It seems to me that they are the same..accept the reptile ones are wired internally to provide use with a wall socket. They both need a probe .. they both need an electrical source and they all hace a connecter to the object they are supposed to control. I read a couple of articles where people have wired home thermostats to be used for their reptile tanks with great success. has anyone here heard of doint this?
    ~Just Call Me RJ~

1.0 Kahl Line Albino Boa: Creamsicle
    1.0 Sun Glow(Kahl): Logan
    1.0 Poss Super hypo Poss Het T+ CA Nicaraguan Boa: Brutis
    1.0 Pos Super Hypo Jungle PC Aby: Po
    1.0 Pos Super Hypo Harlequin: Joker
    0.1 Hypo Reverse Stripe: Harley Quinn
    0.1 T+ Nicaraguan Boa: Dulce

Tru-Boaz.com

Registered User Chandler reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: home thermostat

The main thing is the temp, most don't like to go above ninety also they need an external probe and then some sort of transformer to change the voltage from my understanding.

I have been experimenting with one built for space heaters with good luck so far but it needs some more messing around with to see if it is fully trustworthy. Thermostat
    Jeff Chandler

Myspace

Thanks

The remote probe issue is big. You would need to somehow modify the T-stat to have a remote probe instead of being built into the unit. This would mean finding the proper thermocouple and attachment wire, taking the T-stat apart and soldering the thermocouple correctly, even then still it might not be calibrated right and you could be reading faulty temps. Really wouldn't work that well IMO.

If you're looking for a cheap T-stat why not go for the Ranco ETC-111000-000? I got mine for $43 and scavenged wiring from old extension cord and power strip. Handles 1500W, has 1 degree F differential, and couldn't be easier to wire, program, and use. You can also wire in 4 probes in a series parallel combination to do temperature averaging from multiple points.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
    The remote probe issue is big. You would need to somehow modify the T-stat to have a remote probe instead of being built into the unit. This would mean finding the proper thermocouple and attachment wire, taking the T-stat apart and soldering the thermocouple correctly, even then still it might not be calibrated right and you could be reading faulty temps. Really wouldn't work that well IMO.

If you're looking for a cheap T-stat why not go for the Ranco ETC-111000-000? I got mine for $43 and scavenged wiring from old extension cord and power strip. Handles 1500W, has 1 degree F differential, and couldn't be easier to wire, program, and use. You can also wire in 4 probes in a series parallel combination to do temperature averaging from multiple points.
    I have only 2 snakes and I have one helix I want4ed anothe t-stat to control the cool side of the tank. and i was just curious what the differences were.. where did you get the ranco and does it work well? is it on off or progressive?
    ~Just Call Me RJ~

1.0 Kahl Line Albino Boa: Creamsicle
    1.0 Sun Glow(Kahl): Logan
    1.0 Poss Super hypo Poss Het T+ CA Nicaraguan Boa: Brutis
    1.0 Pos Super Hypo Jungle PC Aby: Po
    1.0 Pos Super Hypo Harlequin: Joker
    0.1 Hypo Reverse Stripe: Harley Quinn
    0.1 T+ Nicaraguan Boa: Dulce

Tru-Boaz.com

Thanks

Actually I have read a couple of articles where people have wired home thermostats to be used for their reptile tanks with great success...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MayDix2009 View Post
    Actually I have read a couple of articles where people have wired home thermostats to be used for their reptile tanks with great success...

Care to share these articles with us?

Like on of the replies said, the probe is an issue as well as the ability to go above 90F.