Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,929

1 members and 2,928 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Thinking about a pet

I'm thinking about getting a pet, and a ball python is way up on the list of possibilities.

I owned a corn snake for 14 years that unfortunately died from complications after a nasty infection in her mouth, I loved that gorgeous snake so much. It's been four years since she died(right before I went to college) and have been pet-less since.

Now I'm settled in an apartment in minneapolis MN and am ready for a creature of some sort to liven up my life a little.

Right now I'm trying to decide what would best fit my living accomodations, and I think a snake would be ideal for a first pet while living on my own.

What I'm looking for in a snake:
    - happy to be handled on a daily basis
    - under 8' at full size
    - "Easy"(that's a relative term that is different for many people) for a smart, responsible 22 year old college graduate to keep healthy.
    - long lived. I don't want a "temporary" pet.

Pythons and boas have always intrigued me, and it seems that BPs fit what I'm looking for in a snake. I have spent hours researching husbandry and all that, and if the multiple websites that I've read are all telling the truth, ball pythons are a great, friendly, healthy, choice for a pet snake.

On to some questions:

1) Are there any pythons or boas you would advise over a BP, or just as much as a BP? I'm more than happy to consider snakes that get a bit larger than BPs.

2) anyone from the twin cities area have a suggestion for a reputable place to buy captive bred snakes and/or snake housing? Online searches turned up "Twin Cities Reptiles" and it seems like it's run by professional caring staff, so I'll be checking that place out I think.

3) I've seen a wide variety of prices for ball pythons, from $35 to $12,000+. Is there any reason color morphs demand such a high price compared to "normal" BPs, other than they are "designer" pets? What is a reasonable price to pay for a healthy, captive bred snake?

4) Anything I should know about BPs that I might not have already read yet?

Thanks guys!

Thanks

Re: Thinking about a pet

1.) Some other snakes that meet your crtieria: rosy boas, children's pythons, spotted pythons, Dumerils boas (females might exceed the 8 ft marker), carpet pythons (some localities may get over 8 ft), Hog Island boas

3.) The ball python market is still a breeder's market, at least in the terms of morphs. As a breeder, you are "investing" when you shell out several hundred dollars for a snake, because you can raise that snake up, breed it and hopefully sell each of the offspring for close to what you paid for the parent. Quite simply, people are still paying high prices for these morphs, so the prices still hold. When people stop paying that amount, prices get lowered. Regrettably, since BPs have a lower reproductive rate than some other snakes (like corns, burms, retics, and boas), it takes longer for a morph to finally reach a level where Joe Smith can afford them. Look at pastels: they've been around for over a decade, and just now, this year, they're finally popping up for sale in petsmarts.
    ---------
    Art Portfolio: http://www.artREXdesigns.com
    House Snake Site: http://www.shiningsnakes.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

After a bit of quality thinking, I've pretty much come to the decision that I'll be getting a ball python! Sort of as a way early christmas present to myself.

I'm not going to rush out and buy one today of course, but I might pick up housing this weekend. I want to have a fully equiped setup with temperature and humidity holding before getting an animal to live in it.

Thanks

Ball pythons are definitely a great choice IMO. If you've done your homework on them I assume you know the requirements as far as husbandry, temps, humidity levels etc... They do require a little bit more as far as husbandry goes compared to a corn but they are just such a beautiful snake!

I just got my first ball python at the beginning of this year and I'm totally hooked lol. I'm up to six now and each and every one of them to me is just a piece of living art.

2)I'm not from MN but I do know that there are quite a few large and small breeders out in that part of the country. I'd definitely recommend checking out some of the breeders that are on this site (8ball, BHB theres others too those are just the big ones I can think of) and see what they have available. Shipping cost is kind of a drag sometimes but if you buy from a good breeder you know you're getting a healthy and beautiful snake and most are more than willing to answer any questions you'd have.

4) they are ADDICTING lol.

Good luck man sounds like you're doing the right thing as far as your research and getting on here!
    ~Adam~

BPs: 3.9 Normals, 1.0 Spider, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 100% Het Hypo, 1.0 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Albino 1.0 Bumblebee .
    Bloods: 0.1 Marter line red, 1.0 Het T+ albino red.
    Colubrids:1.1 Western Hogs, 0.0.1 Tri-Color Hognose, 1.0 Albino Cal King,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    After a bit of quality thinking, I've pretty much come to the decision that I'll be getting a ball python! Sort of as a way early christmas present to myself.

I'm not going to rush out and buy one today of course, but I might pick up housing this weekend. I want to have a fully equiped setup with temperature and humidity holding before getting an animal to live in it.
    Good decision lol. Oh BTW forgot to say before !
    ~Adam~

BPs: 3.9 Normals, 1.0 Spider, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 100% Het Hypo, 1.0 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Albino 1.0 Bumblebee .
    Bloods: 0.1 Marter line red, 1.0 Het T+ albino red.
    Colubrids:1.1 Western Hogs, 0.0.1 Tri-Color Hognose, 1.0 Albino Cal King,

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    On to some questions:

1) Are there any pythons or boas you would advise over a BP, or just as much as a BP? I'm more than happy to consider snakes that get a bit larger than BPs.
    It depends on what your looking for in a pet and how much care your willing to give to that animal. Their are many pythons and boa species that can be with in the range your looking at. Are they the best idea for a first time Python or Boa owner most likely not. Some that I would suggest are Rosy boas, Kenyan sand boas, Rubber boas, Carpet Pythons, Woma Pythons and the like

3) I've seen a wide variety of prices for ball pythons, from $35 to $12,000+. Is there any reason color morphs demand such a high price compared to "normal" BPs, other than they are "designer" pets? What is a reasonable price to pay for a healthy, captive bred snake?
    It takes years of growing these animals up selective breeding for the best looking ones possible. It take loads of effort and blood, sweat and tears to get them to breed, lay, hatch and eat. So if you think it takes thousands of dollars to house, raise, feed and 2-3 years of work just to produce one morph. I seems only right that they are expensive. I'd love to see male pastel at 200+ again and I think spiders should stay 300+600, no recessive morphs should be under 500.00 period end of story.

4) Anything I should know about BPs that I might not have already read yet?
    Thanks guys!
    They like potato chips. Bet you can't have just one. They are Reptile Crack.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

"They like potato chips. Bet you can't have just one. They are Reptile Crack."

Lol...so very true.

If you get a baby, the best you can do is buy from a reputable breeder. Make sure that the BP is an established eater (at least 4meals).
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW