Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,457

3 members and 3,454 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

May get a Greek Tort, some questions...

I have wanted a small Tortoise forever and found a Greek on Craigslist, I haven't seen it yet, I'm going to call tomorrow (after a few emails today). The people have had it 'a few months', the daughter is not caring for it so the mom is selling it. She did tell me it's healthy and 'eats like a horse'. It's being sold with 'lights and tank' for $85., which I think is reasonable. I'm not sure what 'lights and tank' means but have no problem replacing what needs to be upgraded. It seems to have come from a pet shop, we have PetSmart and Petco here...how old would it be in order to be sold through a chain? Guesstimate of course.
    My real questions are about feeding it. The caresheets I've read all say high fiber greens and little to no fruit, they mention dandelion and endive etc. What do you guys feed your Greeks?
    Also, lights. What type of UVB/UVA would be right? 5, 8, 10? I have a CHE I'm not using so can use that or would a regular bulb be better? Can they see red or would that be OK (if I don't use the CHE) for a chilly night?
    Substrate, lots of different suggestions out there but what works for you?
    Any tips are appreciated, and if/when I get the little fella I will be sure to let you know and post pics!

Thanks

Re: May get a Greek Tort, some questions...

Oh and...night drop for the temps or no? I don't for my Leo's and snakes but am not sure if a Tort needs it or not??

Thanks

I have a Russian tortoise and they are really close to the same thing. I chop up fresh greens and butternut squash daily. I also keep some frozen in small snack bags if im in a hurry.
    Give them enough food to last them 20 minutes of eating after that no more or you will be over feeding.
    They are grazers. Give them lots of dandelion greens when available. I grow them in my basement. I keep mine in a 90 gallon tank up against my basement window where she gets full sunlight all day long. During the night I have a ceramic heat bulb to keep her warm. Soak them once a week in warm water for 20 min. Keep a water bowl in the tank for soaking. Provide full spectrum lighting if no real sunlight is available. When its warm build them a pen in the yard where they can party. They like to party.
    And good luck. If you have any questions PM me.
    Oh ya. dust food with a good calcium supplement with d3.

Thanks

And to keep them from hibernating put a timer on your full spectrum light so they get at least 14 hours of light a day. The shorter daylight in winter causes them to hibernate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darkice View Post
    Give them enough food to last them 20 minutes of eating after that no more or you will be over feeding.They are grazers. Give them lots of dandelion greens when available. I grow them in my basement. I keep mine in a 90 gallon tank up against my basement window where she gets full sunlight all day long. During the night I have a ceramic heat bulb to keep her warm. Soak them once a week in warm water for 20 min. Keep a water bowl in the tank for soaking. Provide full spectrum lighting if no real sunlight is available.
    Keeping them in a glass aquarium up against the window can be dangerous. The tank can heat up extremely quickly from the window heating up the tank from the heat of the sun and UV rays do not penetrate window panes. I usually feed in the morning and pick up the diet at the end of the day, I also give them a good spray down while they are eating. The diet I use consists of Collard greens, Turnip greens, Endive, Escarole, Kale, Squash, Zucchini, carrots, sweet potato. This is all blended together in a food processor and fed twice a week and another 2 days a week they get fed some of the greens chopped up. If you have any other questions then feel free to PM me.