Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,222

0 members and 3,222 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Temp and Humidity Issues

I have a 10g glass tank (the Exo-Terra kind). I have a UTH and a 25 watt light on the top of the tank. I covered the open screen with a towel. I have insulated 3 sides of the tank with black foam core board.
    I am getting between 45-50% humidity. Near the UTH I am getting low 80's, and by the light I am getting high 80's.

I am not sure what the surface temp is for the UTH, but I am sure it is around 100 because it is very warm to the touch.

Are these temps alright? Or should I be doing something differently?
    ~Steffe

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Temp and Humidity Issues

warm to the touch is prolly too hot.

do you not have a thermometer with a prob?they are pretty vital to have.only 12 dollars at walmart.

for the humidity it wouldnt be a bad idea to mist it once a day.

do you have a pic of your setup?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Butters420 View Post
    warm to the touch is prolly too hot.

do you not have a thermometer with a prob?they are pretty vital to have.only 12 dollars at walmart.

for the humidity it wouldnt be a bad idea to mist it once a day.

do you have a pic of your setup?
    I JUST left, so I can get a picture later.
    I have a dimmer for the UTH, should I just turn it down a little?
    I live in chicago, so there are no walmarts :/
    I plan on investing in a thermostat and probe thermometers later this year and once I have some money coming in. So for now, this will have to do.
    ~Steffe

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

since you have a light the snake most likely has a basking spot so i would turn down the dimmer a bit.i use dimmers and none of them are even half way down the slider.how warm is your room?

is there any way you can order a thermometer online?you should be fine with a dimmer as long as you can adjust the slider but you need a probe under that warm hide.a few degree change in your room can cause major problems

Thanks

since you have a light the snake most likely has a basking spot so i would turn down the dimmer a bit.i use dimmers and none of them are even half way down the slider.how warm is your room?

is there any way you can order a thermometer online?you should be fine with a dimmer as long as you can adjust the slider but you need a probe under that warm hide.a few degree change in your room can cause major problems
    my room is usually around 70, although it does fluctuate a lot because it has a huge window. I could order a thermometer online, but I am trying to make do with what I have right now.
    I do check the temps like, every hour because I am so paranoid D:.
    ~Steffe

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    my room is usually around 70, although it does fluctuate a lot because it has a huge window. I could order a thermometer online, but I am trying to make do with what I have right now.
    I do check the temps like, every hour because I am so paranoid D:.
    not to harp on you but if you dont have a probe on top of the uth you are never gonna get a real temp and that is dangerous.that snake you have will live to be over 20 years old and you need this tool to help monitor its conditions.not to be rude but if you do not invest in this i will no longer try to help you out.im sorry if i come off the wrong way but im doing my best to help you and you long term buddy

Thanks

not to harp on you but if you dont have a probe on top of the uth you are never gonna get a real temp and that is dangerous.that snake you have will live to be over 20 years old and you need this tool to help monitor its conditions.not to be rude but if you do not invest in this i will no longer try to help you out.im sorry if i come off the wrong way but im doing my best to help you and you long term buddy
    I understand that, I am sorry if I seem uncooperative. I just need to get the temps stable until I can afford to drop the cash for a nice thermo and hydrometer and a thermostat, one that will last more than a few years. Which probably means a few weeks. I really just need some short term help, but if you can't help me with that, then that is fine.
    ~Steffe

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    I understand that, I am sorry if I seem uncooperative. I just need to get the temps stable until I can afford to drop the cash for a nice thermo and hydrometer and a thermostat, one that will last more than a few years. Which probably means a few weeks. I really just need some short term help, but if you can't help me with that, then that is fine.
    you can save up for a thermostat and use the dimmer until then but if you do not monitor your temps on the warm hide your snake could be in for a horrible fate.anything over 100 can cook the insides of your snake.is this a hard lesson you want to learn? you will never be able to get the temps stable w/o a good probed thermometer.i wish you and your snake good luck!i hope its got the smarts and awareness to get out of the heat if it needs to.once again good luck and dont ask me for help if you cant gather a few dollars for a vital peice of equiptment

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

You can get a tempgun fairly cheap. They run about $15-20. Absolutely accurate, and you can instantly get the temp of any section.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

I am getting a second hand thermostat for the meantime. The tempgun sounds like a good idea as well.
    Thank you all for the suggestions.
    The temps in his enclosure are fairly stable now. 82 on the cool side, 90 on the warm side. ambient temp of my room is around 75.
    ~Steffe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast