Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,120

3 members and 3,117 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Escape Prevention

I bought a vivarium with front door locks and top screen clips, but I am still concerned that my baby ball python might find his way out.
    Is there any way to completely snake proof an enclosure?

I don't even want there to be a chance that he might escape.

also: My parents are concerned that if he escaped, he might hurt someone. Is there any reports of ball pythons constricting people? I haven't heard of such a thing, just wondering if anyone else has.
    (they hear the word ball python and thing 20 foot killer snake :/ )
    Last edited by Kaorte; 09-25-2008 at 09:05 PM.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Re: Escape Prevention

Welcome to the board and welcome to the wonderful world of BP ownership!

I don't think there are any worries of your BP killing anybody! And, there are no reports of them getting to 20 foot in length.

I don't mean this the wrong way but did you do enough research before getting your BP? Reading up on them some more will settle all your concerns mentioned. This site alone will give you lots and lots of information. Check out the stickies on this site at the very least.
    ~ Tanya
    0.1 Normal

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
    Welcome to the board and welcome to the wonderful world of BP ownership!

I don't think there are any worries of your BP killing anybody! And, there are no reports of them getting to 20 foot in length.

I don't mean this the wrong way but did you do enough research before getting your BP? Reading up on them some more will settle all your concerns mentioned. This site alone will give you lots and lots of information. Check out the stickies on this site at the very least.
    I have probably read about 20 different care sheets so far. I have read all the stickies. I am pretty confident that my BP won't be travelling around my place, but I just want some reassurance or other tips from the more experienced .
    ~Steffe

Thanks

I wrapped my entire tub in big bungees. This did two things, raised the tub about 1/2" off the UTH and also secured the lid down completely.

If you can find some that are big enough, try wrapping a bungee around the tank at each end.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    I bought a vivarium with front door locks and top screen clips, but I am still concerned that my baby ball python might find his way out.
    Is there any way to completely snake proof an enclosure?

I don't even want there to be a chance that he might escape.

also: My parents are concerned that if he escaped, he might hurt someone. Is there any reports of ball pythons constricting people? I haven't heard of such a thing, just wondering if anyone else has.
    (they hear the word ball python and thing 20 foot killer snake :/ )
    AHAHAHAHA The only way a BP could seriously injure a human is if one somehow got into the sewers of new york city and mutated into a Hydra( giant serpent from greek mythology) But on a more serious note The only way a ball python would cause harm by constriction is if it was a unsupervised child with a ball around their neck. Balls can also bite, but so do all animals if put in the right situation.
    ~*Luna*~ The crazy Sagittarius/Snake BP Lady
    Cal and Ki's Proud Mommy.
    ~~* Goddess Bless*~~
    1.0.0- Normal Ball Python (Kyros "Ki")
    0.1.0- Normal*Spider sibling*Ball Python(Calypso"Cal")
    1.0.0- Betta fish (Leonidas "Leo")
    Steve Irwin (2/22/62 - 9/4/06)
    Sagittarius- Shockingly blunt since the beginning of time!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abhorrent View Post
    I wrapped my entire tub in big bungees. This did two things, raised the tub about 1/2" off the UTH and also secured the lid down completely.

If you can find some that are big enough, try wrapping a bungee around the tank at each end.
    Thanks for the idea
    ~Steffe

Thanks

I got this same encloser this past weekend for my BP...... he's not much more than a baby himself... i actually feel more confident in this cage than I did the other....

dont you just love the looks of this tank? Now i can actually reach in and get him out vs the old one we had my husband had to get him out for me since its really high up in the room on the shelve and im short. and plus now, I dont have to move the light every single time I want to get him out either.
    Stacey
    1.2 Shih Tzu's (Bert, Lea, Maci)
    1.1.0 Crested Gecko (Sparx, Skylar)

***really badly want an albino, butter and a carmel ball and a creamsicle crested gecko***

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sweetcheeks View Post
    I got this same encloser this past weekend for my BP...... he's not much more than a baby himself... i actually feel more confident in this cage than I did the other....

dont you just love the looks of this tank? Now i can actually reach in and get him out vs the old one we had my husband had to get him out for me since its really high up in the room on the shelve and im short. and plus now, I dont have to move the light every single time I want to get him out either.
    Yeah its super nice
    I just have to remember to ALWAYS lock the front, which I think is a pretty easy habit to form.
    ~Steffe

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

If you're super conscious about always locking the door on the viv, you'll have nothing to worry about... BPs are amazing escape artists, but don't worry! Us humans can outsmart them with bungies or belts! Lol!