Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,224

2 members and 3,222 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rats vs. Mice?

Thanks

Rats vs. Mice?

I haven't read anything on this specifically, however, I've noticed that everyone seems to prefer to get the bps onto rats as soon as possible, even if they could still feed a larger sized mouse instead. Is there any reason for this? Around here, you cannot get rat pups (yeah, I goofed, I assumed that at least one of the petstores would sell them, but, they don't). You can get small adult mice and smaller, or you can get small adult rats or larger, no jumbo mice and no rats smaller than small adults. Are they switched to rats ASAP because it could be hard to switch them to rats if fed mice for too long, and you may end up never switching, and could possibly cause problems because of getting an adult BP to accept like three adult mice instead of one rat? Would I be ok to feed mice for the next month and a half until I can get rats and have feeders of the right size? If I have to, I could have a small order shipped in, but I'd prefer not to if I don't have to because of shipping costs, and I would only need a few to last until the breeding rats are up and going. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks

Re: Rats vs. Mice?

this is my guess. rats are larger and in the long run cheaper than feeding the snake multiple mice. I think the larger the prey the faster the snake grows or something I could be wrong but like i said this is my GUESS LOL
    ~Just Call Me RJ~

1.0 Kahl Line Albino Boa: Creamsicle
    1.0 Sun Glow(Kahl): Logan
    1.0 Poss Super hypo Poss Het T+ CA Nicaraguan Boa: Brutis
    1.0 Pos Super Hypo Jungle PC Aby: Po
    1.0 Pos Super Hypo Harlequin: Joker
    0.1 Hypo Reverse Stripe: Harley Quinn
    0.1 T+ Nicaraguan Boa: Dulce

Tru-Boaz.com

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Gram per gram it's all the same, just feed what works and is convenient to you!
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Well first of all, I have ASFs, because they are a permanent BP size that they wouldn't need any larger.

Rats are good because they have nice growth rates, and are useful for BP breeders at a very young age.

THEY ALSO DON'T SMELL AS MUCH.

My ASFs are clean, but my mice.. are not.. and rats are a bit better than mice.

Better pets and more intelligent too, from what I can tell. There is no proven nutritional difference, however.

Thanks

Ive got one that will eat small rats the other wont touch them and prefers small mice.

Thanks

All of mine eat mice, and they do wonderfully.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    Well first of all, I have ASFs, because they are a permanent BP size that they wouldn't need any larger.

Rats are good because they have nice growth rates, and are useful for BP breeders at a very young age.

THEY ALSO DON'T SMELL AS MUCH.

My ASFs are clean, but my mice.. are not.. and rats are a bit better than mice.

Better pets and more intelligent too, from what I can tell. There is no proven nutritional difference, however.
    God, isn't that the truth? I have five mice right now, and they STINK. I clean the cage out every day, meanwhile, when I had around 40 rats before, they didn't even smell half as bad. Male mice are just nasty.

I do hope to use rats as well, as they are much nicer to have around, and you can actually hold them without worrying about getting poop or pee on you. I'm glad that I can use mice until I get the rats going though, definately helps, and saves me a ton of money. Thanks guys!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bettacreek View Post
    God, isn't that the truth? I have five mice right now, and they STINK. I clean the cage out every day, meanwhile, when I had around 40 rats before, they didn't even smell half as bad. Male mice are just nasty.

I do hope to use rats as well, as they are much nicer to have around, and you can actually hold them without worrying about getting poop or pee on you. I'm glad that I can use mice until I get the rats going though, definately helps, and saves me a ton of money. Thanks guys!
    I suggest getting some ASFs if you can, for smell-wise purposes. They need 1/2 as much cleaning as rats and even less than mice! Easier on the wallet and work. :]

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would like to get mine switched over to rats once they are big enough, and I have another litter of rats. They are much easier to keep than mice.

Other than that, I'm not sure why people choose rats or mice.

Thanks

I have a very eclectic collection when it comes to feeding. My three largest adults are on rats...but one takes FT (or whatever is put in front of her) the other two refuse anything but fresh kills. And don't get me started on my het albino male who has refused everything for the past 4 weeks for an unknown reason.

My two subadults gulp down an adult mouse a piece, but my older girl refuses to take anything larger than a large adult mouse and it has to be pre-killed.

My two little girls take mice right now, though one takes FT and the other PK. Hoping to get everyone to eventually take FT...but I doubt it.

That's not even going into my corns! The three little girls take FT mice, so I may try them with rats soon. But they aren't the problem. One adult male will accept ANYTHING you give him: mouse, rat, PK, FT... he is the biggest pig! The other adult male, though, will ONLY take PK adult mice.

Sorry for the novel...just thought you might want to see just how varied it can really get.
    As for WHY you would go with rats or mice, other than the snake's preferences I would say that feeding a single prey item is a lot easier, thus giving a 1700+g female a single medium rat is a lot better then having to give her 4 adult mice! It can be done, but would be a pain.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast