Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,203

0 members and 3,203 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Ever have kids tempt your dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by snakecharmer3638 View Post
    Great to know. That makes it all better. Next time some DUMB KID bangs on my fence and I can't control my dog. I'll just go out and kick the kids butt. That will make me a better, more mature ADULT.
    He didn't say he kicked his butt, he said he put him on the ground after the kid tried to punch him. Kids will be kids, but destroying property or causing harm to a person or an animal crosses the kid being a kid/kid being a delinquent line, and there are consequenses. I would have put the punk down and held him until police got there to take him away. Children might be different where you are in Kansas, but I promise you that plenty of kids here act more like slow thinking, adult criminals than kids. It's a shame, but it's a fact.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

Kids can be jerks.

However as adults and dog owners we have to take a certain amount of responsibility. Not to the kids.

To our animals. I would not have let my dogs out there. Regardless of the breed. That puts them in a bad situation. Me in a bad situation and the potential for an accident.

We have a responsibility to act responsible. In other words, when that happens, call the authorities to come out and take care of it. Don't put your dogs, you, or the kids in danger. Don't threaten the kids. It does no one any good.

I don't mean to come off as rude, but I just feel like your situation could have been handled much better.
    Kristina Rogers
    http://www.myspace.com/kristinarogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PythonWallace View Post
    He didn't say he kicked his butt, he said he put him on the ground after the kid tried to punch him. Kids will be kids, but destroying property or causing harm to a person or an animal crosses the kid being a kid/kid being a delinquent line, and there are consequenses. I would have put the punk down and held him until police got there to take him away. Children might be different where you are in Kansas, but I promise you that plenty of kids here act more like slow thinking, adult criminals than kids. It's a shame, but it's a fact.
    Yea, I read his post, and I don't recall him saying anything about them damaging his property. And all I'm saying is that all he accomplished with his actions was to make a slightly annoying situation, Into what could have been a dangerous situation for himself and his dog. And I can assure you kids here in Kansas are just as stupid as kids anywhere else. It's always better to use your head and think before you act. That's what makes us GROWNUPS.
    ***Tony S.***

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Kids can be jerks.

However as adults and dog owners we have to take a certain amount of responsibility. Not to the kids.

To our animals. I would not have let my dogs out there. Regardless of the breed. That puts them in a bad situation. Me in a bad situation and the potential for an accident.

We have a responsibility to act responsible. In other words, when that happens, call the authorities to come out and take care of it. Don't put your dogs, you, or the kids in danger. Don't threaten the kids. It does no one any good.

I don't mean to come off as rude, but I just feel like your situation could have been handled much better.
    ***Tony S.***

Thanks

To each his own, I guess. When I was a kid being a kid, let's just say that I knew which lawns to keep off of, and it wasn't the ones where the owner put up signs or called the police to tell us to stop. The home owners who came out and psychotically threatened us were the ones who were further left alone.

My brother in law lives in Chicago and had some gangbangers spray paint his privacy fence, so he yelled at them and gave them the option of repainting the fence, staying off that block and washing and waxing my sister's car, or getting beaten into traction. Let's just say that my sister's car was sparkling that weekend. I was arrested for graffiti when I was 11, and since I had tossed the cans and didn't have any paint on my hands, they had to let me go. Realistically, there are few options that will yield any kind of positive result.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

Kids aren't just kids being kids anymore.
    They are mean, destroy things, hurt people, and animals. They have no respect anymore for anything. I refuse to let my children grow up like that.

By him going out, threatening them, letting his dog outside to scare them, and getting physical with a child (thats right a child and I don't care who swung first, its still a child)
    he taught them that is ok to act that way. Great lesson to be learned

Kids need proper discipline, find out who their parents are, call the school, call the police, but never ever threaten a child. Walk away, property can always be fixed.
    Kristina Rogers
    http://www.myspace.com/kristinarogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Thanks

I don't blame you. One time, I saw some kids slowly driving up my street (I'm at the end of a dead end- theres a brickwall after my driveway), and stop a few houses down.. Then they started sneaking towrds my car.. And as soon as they went to open my car door- I let Lady, my pit/boxer (looks like a pure pit though) out the front door. My husky wouldent have done anything- but Lady does NOT like intruders! Of course, she scared the hell outta them and chased them to their car (don't worry- she's really a pansy. she wouldent bite- just barks like she'll eat you lol), then they never came back. lol.

Oh, just to add- cops wouldent have been fast enough, and I am one SMALL girl, and they were three BIG teenage boys, and a girl- so I wasnt going out there!!
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    1.0 Harliquin Great Dane, Gambit
    0.2 Cats, Mojo-Jojo and Rebel
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

I would have done the same thing. My border collie knows the sick'em command...and I would not want to be on the other end.

Oh and.. I would not have just knocked him on the ground..I would have made it to where he would never come back again.
    Last edited by stangs13; 09-24-2008 at 06:25 PM.

Thanks

I don't have kids tempt my dog, but they make a HUGE deal out of how scary her eyes are and how much she looks like a coyote/wolf/etc or about how they hate dogs as they pass me and do a big sissy dance.
    I know it's attention-seeking behavior on their part, but it's soooo irritating and they sometimes freak the dog out by being stupid and insult her (even though she could care less). Little do they know this "ferocious beast's" favorite pastime is playing with kittens haha

Thanks

I have to agree with Snakecharmer on this one. Your dogs were in your house, on your bed. The kids aren't to be blamed for the dogs' barking. Either move and get a larger property with double fencing up so nobody can get anywhere near to your private yard, or train the dogs to bark only when someone actually invades their territory, and learn how to control the barking so that you can stop it once you find out that nothing is actually wrong. Swearing at a bunch of highschool kids because they're loud is, well, over the top to say the least. I could see if they were out at 1am smashing beer bottles in your driveway, but walking down "your" sidewalk in the afternoon, talking in loud voices? If you don't like it, you need to move to a more secluded area. To have your dog "attack" a kid is even worse yet. What if your dog had actually gotten through the fence and attacked the kids, all because they were walking by? You would have a fine and your dog would be in court for being a "vicious dog". Even worse yet, you go out to the public walk and attack the kid. Yes, I say YOU attacked the kid. If I were walking down a public sidewalk with friends, then had some nutjob storm out his door and cuss at us because we were too loud, then tried to have his dog attack us yet, I would defend myself if you came at me too. It doesn't matter if this kid threw the first punch, with what happened, it could be considered self-defense. If some madman came after you, wouldn't you try to keep yourself safe? These kids don't know if you're some crazy psycho on drugs, after all, you did come flying out of your house like one.

As far as other peoples' dogs, if kids are walking by, and you know that your dog goes nuts with people walking by, then training is necessary. If you don't feel like training the dog for whatever reason, then at least bring the dog in if it is creating a scene.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast