Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,253

2 members and 3,251 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

2 females and one male for breeding

I was thinking about keeping three adult rats two females and a male to breed for babies for my snakes...can i put three of them in a 29 gallon tank? or is a 55 gallon better because its more room?

Should I use the 55 gallon tank and unplug the under tank heating mat or would the under tank heatin mat be good for the rats to keep them warm?

Thanks

Re: 2 females and one male for breeding

I keep 1.5 in 20 long tanks.Then move moms to be and moms with babies in groups of 3. With a small space you need to change the bedding more often.
    No UTH is needed. If its going to get really cold you may have to heat the space the tanks are in.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave763 View Post
    I keep 1.5 in 20 long tanks.Then move moms to be and moms with babies in groups of 3. With a small space you need to change the bedding more often.
    No UTH is needed. If its going to get really cold you may have to heat the space the tanks are in.
    ok so 55 gallon tank is fine, just make sure i have enough heat to keep them warm and remove/turn off the UTH.

Ok, I can do that.

Also do you use the purple igloo house for them to have their babies in? or do they not need a hide?

Thanks

They seem happy with no hides. They don't need much. Clean bedding, food and fresh water available at all times.

Thanks

I would say 1.5 is too much for a 20L tank. I only keep up to 4 rats at a time in a 20L and its never for very long. That's just too much ammonia building up.

A 55 is good for that size group. Lots of room for them to move around. I use igloo houses for some of my rats. One of my momma's especially likes her igloo. She turns it upside down and drags it around trying to feng shui her nursing tub.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    I would say 1.5 is too much for a 20L tank. I only keep up to 4 rats at a time in a 20L and its never for very long. That's just too much ammonia building up.

A 55 is good for that size group. Lots of room for them to move around. I use igloo houses for some of my rats. One of my momma's especially likes her igloo. She turns it upside down and drags it around trying to feng shui her nursing tub.
    I would have to agree. I've got 5 boys in a 20L tank right now and I'm going nuts cleaning that thing ever 3-4 days. 4 of the boys are only about 1.5 months old so they are still small. I couldn't imagine 6 adults in a 20L.

But as long as you don't mind cleaning it all the time, I guess I don't see a problem with it. They all cuddle together and have a good time.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Today i brought three rats:

One small male (but his testicles have dropped so i think he is matured or close to it)

A small female and a medium sized female (pictures will come soon) does the size of the rats matter as long as they are big enough to produce babies and the male testicles have dropped?

When i get pictures yall can probably give me a better answer, i just thought id ask any way.

Thanks

They will breed when they are ready. I usually get babies once the females are in the 170-200 gram range.

The male will likely grow faster than the females so you shouldn't have a problem with him.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Richard
    My Collection: 3.2 Mojave, 4.9.3 Normal, 1.0 Het Pied, 0.8 Pos. Het Pied

Thanks

[QUOTE=Jay_Bunny;881056]I would say 1.5 is too much for a 20L tank. I only keep up to 4 rats at a time in a 20L and its never for very long. That's just too much ammonia building up.

I have to change the bedding twice a week.
    I'll agree, 1.3 might be better in a 20 long.
    When I build my rat rack they will have more space, but I will still keep them in groups of 1.5. I just wont have to change the bedding as often.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

here is the male in the middle and females on both ends

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast