Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,572

4 members and 2,568 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Deaf or very sleepy rat

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    Heck Laurie my Dumbo's breed and mother just as well as any of my regular rats. One was such a stellar mother that when she reached the end of her breeding life we've "promoted" her to caring for the future female breeders. We laughingly call it our "finishing school for female rats" LOL. I find letting them go from their momma's to a tub with Dee the Dumbo in it helps them pick up her nice ways and makes for easier handling down the road for me when I'm working around them and their litters.

I have found, and this may be just my own experience, that Dumbo's seem to have a sweeter nature to them. I can't think of the last time a dumbo eared rat in our colony nipped me. They do seem to be just a bit less hyper, more lazy natured and easy to manage. Could just be my own colony though but I've heard that from others about their Dumbo eared rats.
    I'm glad to hear that! It will be a few months before I get to breed them but I do have a full size dumbo male that's still in QT and as soon as he's out I'll breed him to one of my regular girls and see if I get any new dumbos. So far the 2 little females couldn't be any sweeter.
    Laurie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38 View Post
    I might just end up with a crapload of pet dumbos...
    Welcome to my world! Basically all I have in my breeding colony is dumbos and a few rexs. Another plus is if you ever have extras, people like them for pets too cuz they are so cute.

Thanks

"I'll breed him to one of my regular girls and see if I get any new dumbos. "

Dumbo is a simple recessive. Breed a dumbo male to your standard females, and your babies will all be standards that carry the dumbo gene. Breed one of these babies back to papa and you'll get 50% dumbo and 50% standards that carry the gene.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bettacreek View Post
    "I'll breed him to one of my regular girls and see if I get any new dumbos. "

Dumbo is a simple recessive. Breed a dumbo male to your standard females, and your babies will all be standards that carry the dumbo gene. Breed one of these babies back to papa and you'll get 50% dumbo and 50% standards that carry the gene.
    I am sure what she was referring to is the fact that I bred a dumbo to a "normal" girl and got a ton of dumbos. Laurie knows a thing or two about genetics so I would guess she knew that

Thanks

Generally, if you don't know somebody or what they know, when someone says that they're going to breed a dumbo to a "regular" you assume that they mean a standard that doesn't carry dumbo, as, usually, you would assume they would say that they were going to breed a dumbo to their dumbo het or dumbo carrier. Since I do not know what this person knows, I was simply trying to help avoid confusion, not imply that she's some type of idiot. Not only that, but, if someone else comes around and reads it, they may assume the same thing I did and they themselves may become confused.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12