Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,062

0 members and 1,062 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,583
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

New Snakes - Possible RIs

We picked up 2 snakes today.

At the breeder, I commented on how one of them was hissing several times.

When we got them home and I was moving them into their tubs, the other one, which is in shed, hissed at me. Or did it? It didn't sound quite like a hiss to me. More of a whistle or wheezy sound. But since I'd read that snakes can sometimes make funny sounds when in shed if a piece of shed gets stuck in their nostrils, I didn't immediately panic.

When I took the other one out of its bag, I started to think we had a problem. This one, that had been "hissing" at the breeder, was making the same sound, but I also heard some tiny popping noises. Uh-oh. So now I'm thinking it wasn't hissing while at the breeder's either, but since I've never had a snake with an RI and almost never had a BP hiss at me, I didn't immediately notice the difference.

So I've got the 2 of them on a different floor of the house than any other snakes. I'm working on making sure the temps & humidity are stable and slightly high in the make-shift location. My plan had been to put them in QT with my other new acquisitions, but since they are sick, I wanted them totally separated, thus the need for make-shift quarters. Luckily we had a small piece of extra flexwatt and an extra t-stat.

I've already sent an email to the breeder to make him aware of the situation.

I'd like to know if anyone thinks it is possible that the snakes developed the RIs (if that is what it is) after I picked them up. The weather is cool outside, so they may have gotten a little cool during transport. But not cold. And only for brief periods because my daughter held them on her lap in the car so that should have been warm enough.

Even if they did get too cold (which I really don't think is possible) and/or stressed, would symptoms be showing up this soon?
    Casey

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: New Snakes - Possible RIs

No comments?

Well, here's an update. Today I had time to examine both of them a lot more thoroughly. Sort of broke the "let them settle in" rule, but I thought it was warranted in this case. I found pretty much the same thing for both of them. They hiss more than all the rest of our snakes put together. Also, the one snake we have that hisses somewhat frequently is really loud when she does, and these 2 will do sort of half hearted hisses which sound different. But when they aren't hissing, I don't hear any unusual sounds with their breathing. I have heard that bubble popping sound with both of them. It is very slight with both of them, but it is what worries me the most. I managed to get a look in both their mouths, and they look totally fine to me.

We are going to keep them separated from the rest of the snakes and watch them closely, especially for that popping sound to get worse or any other symptoms of RI. And I'll keep their temps & humidity slightly higher so just in case it is a touch of RI it might help them fight it off.
    Casey

Thanks

Casey, they wouldn't have suddenly developed an RI just from a short car ride and showed symptoms that quick. Either they had an RI before you got them, or they don't in fact have RI's and it's just a bit of shedding noise. Keep them in full quarantine, keep them warm and the humidity right so they can shed out nicely, don't stress them at all and talk to your breeder is my best advice.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I agree with Joanna. Although I would locate a vet in your area and be prepared to bring them in if the symptoms become clearer or worsen. The medication for an RI is not too expensive, and a check-up for both should be no more than $100. Don't be afraid to call a vet and ask approximate pricing for a check up. I brought my boy to the vet for a check up when he was a baby because I was mildly concerned about some discoloration around his mouth. It was lucky that I brought him in because he had a mild case of mouth rot that could have quickly escalated.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python- Little Dude
    0.0.1 Albino Kingsnake - Weiner
    Missi

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thanks Joanna.

I should have added to my update that the breeder has replied to the email I sent last night and is being very supportive. He is working with us to help us figure out for sure if it is RI or not, and has offered to give us a full refund if we want to return the snakes to him.
    Casey

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thanks Missi. Knowing in advance where a good herp vet is is an excellent point. I am lucky enough to live close to Dr. Stahl of Vienna, VA, who is apparently very well respected both by his peers and on a national level, as well as by his patients/their owners. The father of one of my daughter's friends is a cat/dog vet, and when we got our first snake I asked him if he knew of any good herp vets so I'd know who to call if/when needed. He was very emphatic when he told me Dr. Stahl was the place to go.
    Casey

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Update on these 2:

The snakes I think were suffering from a case of "OMG we've never spent this much on a pair of snakes before" syndrome with a hint of "we've never actually heard what an RI sounds like"-itis.

They still sound funny to my ears when they hiss, but it isn't getting worse, so I am inclined to believe they just don't hiss nearly as enthusiastically as our one other hisser.

So now I'll give them their week to settle in and then I'll get pics up.
    Casey

Thanks

Glad to hear things are going well Casey and your breeder is being supportive. One of the best things about going with a reputable breeder is that they do stand behind the snakes they sell and will be there for their customers after the sale is finalized. Just keep an eye on the snakes, keep in contact with your breeder and consult a vet if that becomes necessary.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Glad to hear things arent as bad as you thought. Dr.Stahl is one of the best and if you ever do need a vet dont hesitate to see him. I have had phone consultations with him and have learned alot from those conversations.

Some are just real hissers and may even have an occasional hissy fit, LOL.

Thanks

I have one yearling that every single shed she has, you'd swear she had an RI. She whistles like nuts and the first few times it did really scare me. It isn't an RI though with her, it's just some sort of excessive shedding noise as the loose shed comes off her heat pits. She's the only snake I've ever owned that does this so loudly and consistently and she is definitely the oddball of the collection this way.
    ~~Joanna~~