Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,303

1 members and 2,302 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

Thread: darn clumpies!

Thanks

darn clumpies!

ok I have a cat issue I dont quite know what to do with. actually 2 now that I think about it.

1 we have cats with hair clumpies and dont know what to do about it other than shaving them off, and I dont want to do that. cant use a brush either, cause they eat the brushes...literally eat!
    I used to just clip them off as they came, before it got too bad, but the past few months have been so horrendous for me that I havent been able to keep with it, and now, bad clumpies. any advice?

2 I have an 8 year old female, spayed, in excellent health....but the past few months has begun to randomly pee in our bed. dont know what could have caused, dont know why it started when it did, and dont know how to make her stop.

we thought she was complaining about the litterbox, so we became pretty fastidious about keepine it clean. didnt work. I have no idea what to do with her. she's been doing it for several months now, and I dont want to have to banish her from the bedroom cause that will also banish my other 2. anyone have any advice? (am taking her to the vet once my SO gets paid (hopefully next week)
    "I'm pink, therefore I'm SPAM."

1.1.0 ball pythons, Nag (4) and Nagaina (3 yrs)
    1.2.0 kitties, Jack(3), Bootsie (8), and Nani (8)
    1.0.0 leucistic texas rat snake, Bloop (1 year)
    1.0.0 well trained fiance, Mark
    0.2.0 lovely daughters, Alyda (14) and Elise (10)
    ...And he BETTER obey! - Bill Cosby

Wendy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Re: darn clumpies!

The fur issue, unless you can brush them out(with either a rake, or a brush), I'd advise you to contact a professional groomer. I do have a rake video up on youtube, on the proper way to use a rake. Normally I can get most "clumpies" out with this particular rake, and using the method on the video, most cats don't object(believe it or not!)
    The urinating could be a infection(bladder or urinary tract or kidney) and that would be for a vet to check.
    Here's the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbbC4R9A-f0

Hope this might help!
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

I agree... brushing is the only thing you can do at home for the hair. If you think it's necessary for the cat's health groomers will give your cat a haircut. I can only imagine how traumatic that is for a cat, though!

Cats peeing in strange places usually means urinary tract infection, which is treated fairly easily. We had one back at my mom's house, however, who was actually found to have a thyroid issue. The vet could find that pretty easily, too, so get her in there when you have the money!
    2.2.6.4 Crested Geckos
    0.1.0 Corn Snake
    1.2.0 Ball Pythons
    2.0.0 Cats
    1.1.0 Dogs
    0.0.14 Fish
    100s of Red Cherry Shrimp
    1.0.0 Husband

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

I do shave a lot of cats at my work, and I don't find it's traumatic for the cats.
    Just saying.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Old post, but, with our DLH cat, when she got the clumpies (she doesn't anymore, thankfully) I actually had one of those "personal groomers". They're really gentle, they don't pull hair if you do it right, and they're basically silent. Plus, you have more control as to where you shave the cat, because they're small (about the size of a sharpie marker), so if they're long hair, you can usually get away with shaving a clumpie without being able to tell that you shaved it out.