Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,063

2 members and 3,061 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,112
Threads: 248,552
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NxtGenExotics
    Thanks

Unhappy 2 days since he escaped

Well on Saturday, i decided to move my year old Amel corn to a bigger enclosure (glass tank that i had my BP in) The plastic lid had air vents soldered into them for the the BP, so taped them up with duct tape both sides till i could get to the hardware shop to get some fine mesh to make it escape proof (or near enough)

I taped up any spaces that i thought he could get through till i could get the materials next day. Should of played it safe and kept him in his old tub, but i got excited introduced him to the new one. On sat nite he was having a look round for a bit, then went in his hide. I didn't see him out Sunday nite so went in to find were he was...and gone! Checked all the lid and the duct tape was in place, apart from a tiny corner the size of a childs pinky finger nail which just had sellotape over. Looks like he pushed through it!

Have set up mice on heat mats with flour round after reading posts on here on help to catch escapees but there is no sign of him,. Left water bowls out with flour round and no sign of activity.

I'm pretty gutted, thing is do i tell next door that he could possibly have a snake in his house?( semi detached/adjoined houses so he can get in under the floorboards, or do i leave it and if neighbour sees it i can just tell its mine and must of just got out? I dont want to freak next door out. i'm scared of spiders so if a neighbour knocked on my door telling me there tarantula was on the loose Id be crapping it!!

sorrty for ranting on.... It's pretty upsetting not knowing whats happened to him, any advice welcomed

cheers Scott

Thanks

Re: 2 days since he escaped

I had a snake escape on me in the past. In my experience the best and most effective method I found was to place a line of flour over every threshold in your house, as soon as he crawls into a room, you will know and it will take maybe 5 mins to find him then.

Thanks

Good idea, cheers Jyson. I have had the place upside down and searched room by room, but he is so small i could of missed him easily. Will flour the doorways!!

Thanks

Glad I can help. It really helped me out in the past when I was a newbie, with that method I managed to find the lil houdini in less than 2 days.

Thanks

i have had a couple long term escapes... and they just show up when they want to! dont' lose heart. it'll turn up.
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I have had a small Norm corn escape 2 months ago but I caught him within a day. What I did was put scotch tape sticky side up along all doorways and hiding spots. A few hours later I was checking the tape feeling liek crap but then I heard this rustling sound. Sure enough there was my corn(Czar) all entangled in the Scotch Tape. so after carefully removing the tape off him he was good as new.
    Mark

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I don't think that tape is a good idea, since it can stick to the snake and you could damage scales in removing it. Just my opinion

Thanks

Put the flour on doorways, set up heatpad /mouse/waterbowl in all rooms upstairs, no sign of activity. Going to under the floor down stairs and set up heatpad/ mouse, see if he's down there. If he takes a mouse least i know he's around.

Will not lose hope as they can turn up months later....by the way ..did I mention the snake is not mine, I'm looking after it(not very well) for a few months!