Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,158

1 members and 3,157 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Gtp Bit Me! Yaya! Duw!

Quote Originally Posted by PythonWallace View Post
    It's not fresh out of the egg, but it is a neonate, and shouldn't be handled at all for a good while, unless absolutely neccesary, which wasn't the case here. Young chondros are bery fragile. Also, I think you are thinking about the emerald tree boa for the large teeth. Chondros' teeth aren't that big.
    Colin is exactly right Chondros have very large teeth, and if you think that they don't why don't you let a full grown Chondro perforate your hand.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warocker's Wife View Post
    First I couldn’t be more disappointed in what I am seeing.
    There’s so many things wrong with this picture. The baby is still a neonate – which means your little baby shouldn’t even be moved or handled AT ALL!!!
    You wrote ‘I thought I would try it once. Just for fun. It swallowed it fine, No problems there. When I moved it, it didn't regurgitate, now the next day it hasn't regurgitated. I think its fine and it hasn't been an issue yet. I so far see 0 ill effect.’
    Are u kidding me??? The stress will show later and why would u EVEN take a chance!!!
    Your beautiful little baby is just THAT a little baby. Read a book …..READ A GTP BOOK!!!

Get Greg Maxwell’s book and read it. Knowledge is power and for the love of god take care of that beautiful little neonate.
    Feed her/him from his encloser or a nice tub... In a dark- dim room as it is intended to be.
    Treat your animal with love and respect not hanging from a chair – not in a bright room …

Your little baby should be hanging from her/his perch securely and ready for its food where it feels nice and warm and fuzzy happy and secure…

I hope no damage has been caused from you ‘trying it once – just for fun’

Really honestly read The More Complete Chondro.
    You guys need to chill out for real, That isn't a one month old chondro and while you need to handle it with great care you all are freaking out. Python tricker I would try to avoid direct handling, use a small hook and let the tree worm move himself onto and off of the hook. The problem occurs when people try to unwrap or pull to hard on there prehensile tail and can cause damage to there spines which are still fairly delicate. This is exactly why Chondros are not sexed until at least one year in age. Then as far as food goes I don't think that meal is too big it is about as big as I would go. I would also feed a Chondro less often than other pythons, as a prolapse is a possible complication . Congratulations to you on your tree worm they are sooo cool I wish I would have never traded the one I had back to the breeder I got it from.

I am disappointed in the people who jumped all over him. You read it in a book and chastise the guy for not knowing what you read out of a book yourself. Since I didn't see Greg Maxwell post to this thread none of us are experts and were all were he is at one point, so maybe tone it down in the future.

Chuck

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Vestrand View Post
    actually, chondros (and really any arboreal) have large teeth. ETB's are of course larger (i believe the largest of all Boids), but i stand by my statement... adult GTP's have very large teeth. much larger than a ball. click this link for just one example...

http://www.univet.hu/mal/2004/gal/gal1.jpg
    You said in your previous post that you thought chondros had the largest teeth of any boid. I corrected that saying that you were thinking of the ETB and not a GTP, and that compared to an ETB, their teeth aren't that big.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Colin is exactly right Chondros have very large teeth, and if you think that they don't why don't you let a full grown Chondro perforate your hand.
    I have. Every cleaning day, and sometimes on watering day, my yearling chondro would bite my hands until my hands were no longer in his cage. The few times I took him off his perch he clamped onto my hands or forearms pretty good. I've been tagged by my chondro far more than any other species. So I stick with my original statement. Compared to ETB's their teeth aren't as large. But yes, compared to ball pythons, they do have much larger teeth. They are arboreal after all.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    You guys need to chill out for real, That isn't a one month old chondro and while you need to handle it with great care you all are freaking out. Python tricker I would try to avoid direct handling, use a small hook and let the tree worm move himself onto and off of the hook. The problem occurs when people try to unwrap or pull to hard on there prehensile tail and can cause damage to there spines which are still fairly delicate. This is exactly why Chondros are not sexed until at least one year in age. Then as far as food goes I don't think that meal is too big it is about as big as I would go. I would also feed a Chondro less often than other pythons, as a prolapse is a possible complication . Congratulations to you on your tree worm they are sooo cool I wish I would have never traded the one I had back to the breeder I got it from.

I am disappointed in the people who jumped all over him. You read it in a book and chastise the guy for not knowing what you read out of a book yourself. Since I didn't see Greg Maxwell post to this thread none of us are experts and were all were he is at one point, so maybe tone it down in the future.

Chuck
    What?? So your saying that after 1 month you can hang your GTP from your dining room chair in the light and feed it?!!!
    Wow.. As far as being "harsh".. Try more like realistic.. No need to be an "expert" when stating facts.. Do you really want to say its fine to feed your GTP that young like that. Knowing you will have to try to remove it at some point obviously before 2 days and that you can just handle your young Neo as much as you want befor 1 year?? Maybe you like to go againg most books wrote by the experts but I think what was said was needed.
    CRAZY man.. Wow.. Maybe just some of us have the :"jewels" to tell someone when they are really messing up. I would hope PPL would take a real look and really try not to sugar coat things. I am not making a personal attack on the person. Hey we all make mistakes, we are human. But I tend to think a blunt honest truth in letting some one know "oops" you :cens0r: things up a bit will be a good learning lesson instead of letting people think it maybe ok.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

wow you really need to calm down.

is it a stupid idea to feed a chondro on your living room chair? probably more stupid than not. would i do it myself? most likely never in my life. if you answered just like me to those two questions thats great but there is really no need to jump all over this kid for having fun with his pet snake. the snake is eating and im sure hes handling it carefully and as mentioned earlier that is not a neonate chondro. colour change does not determine age of these snakes so just because its still yellow doesnt mean its a hatchling.

look he said he put it back after it swallowed the mouse so just think of it as feeding in a serperate enclosure. some people just like to enjoy their animals in different ways and as long as its not harming the animal in anyway then let them be.

something about prolapse was mentioned earlier and i think it should be said that although prolapse may be more common in GTPs than some other snake species, they do not prolapse "extreeeeeeemly easy" and what was seen in these pictures is not classified as a cause of a prolapse.

anyways python tricker i would suggest feeding inside the enclosure and maybe a little less handling until it is a little larger and its definitely a good idea to check out greg maxwells book(even though it is a little too opinionated and defensive...).

im glad hes eating for you and hopefully you keep him healthy.

Thanks

You said in your previous post that you thought chondros had the largest teeth of any boid. I corrected that saying that you were thinking of the ETB and not a GTP, and that compared to an ETB, their teeth aren't that big.

I have. Every cleaning day, and sometimes on watering day, my yearling chondro would bite my hands until my hands were no longer in his cage. The few times I took him off his perch he clamped onto my hands or forearms pretty good. I've been tagged by my chondro far more than any other species. So I stick with my original statement. Compared to ETB's their teeth aren't as large. But yes, compared to ball pythons, they do have much larger teeth. They are arboreal after all.
    I am not sure what you are disputing Colin was correct in everything he said and there was nothing to correct him on.He said ETB teeth are larger than chrondro teeth and that chrondros have some of the largest teeth of any boids which is correct.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WaRocker View Post
    What?? So your saying that after 1 month you can hang your GTP from your dining room chair in the light and feed it?!!!
    Wow.. As far as being "harsh".. Try more like realistic.. No need to be an "expert" when stating facts.. Do you really want to say its fine to feed your GTP that young like that. Knowing you will have to try to remove it at some point obviously before 2 days and that you can just handle your young Neo as much as you want befor 1 year?? Maybe you like to go againg most books wrote by the experts but I think what was said was needed.
    CRAZY man.. Wow.. Maybe just some of us have the :"jewels" to tell someone when they are really messing up. I would hope PPL would take a real look and really try not to sugar coat things. I am not making a personal attack on the person. Hey we all make mistakes, we are human. But I tend to think a blunt honest truth in letting some one know "oops" you :cens0r: things up a bit will be a good learning lesson instead of letting people think it maybe ok.
    Look I am not sure how you think Chondros eat when they are out in nature as a baby, when you and Greg Maxwell's book are not there to look out for them. Do I think Pythontricker could have done a few things better sure I do but I don't see the need to act like an :cens0r: hole towards him to help him out. You should get over yourself and keep your jewels in your pants. There is really no need, not to mention he is pretty responsible for his age.

Thanks

agree to disagree everyone? haha
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

Thanks
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

Whatever

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast